What to do with alcohol poisoning at home
Alcohol, even in small doses, has a toxic effect on the central nervous system. In medicine, there are three stages of alcohol intoxication - light, medium and heavy.
What are the signs of alcohol poisoning and how to remove alcohol intoxication at home? What drugs can be used to relieve hangover? What can not be done in case of poisoning, and in what cases do you need to consult a doctor without spending time on self-treatment? Let's look at these questions, but first we will decide what is alcohol poisoning.
What is alcohol intoxication
The term alcohol intoxication means poisoning the body with ethyl alcohol. Normally, a small amount of ethanol is neutralized in the liver without consequences for the body. But when using the amount of alcohol that exceeds the detoxification capacity of the liver, the poison enters the brain and causes disruption of higher nervous activity. Outwardly, this is manifested by a feeling of euphoria, clouding of consciousness, and a lack of coordination.
With a severe degree of poisoning, the person loses sensitivity, reflexes weaken, and stuns occur. In the extreme stage, possible cardiac arrest, cessation of breathing, deep coma. Such effects occur when the concentration of ethyl alcohol in the blood in an amount of 3% or more. Lethal dose of alcohol is about 300 grams in terms of pure alcohol. If we consider the average lethal dose in terms of body weight, it is 8 grams of ethanol per kg.
In everyday life alcohol poisoning is called any changes, accompanied by a deterioration of health due to drinking alcoholic beverages. They can occur immediately after taking a large dose (vomiting, loss of consciousness) or visit you the next morning - hangover. In general, these conditions are treated equally, but there are some nuances. In the phase of acute poisoning, the effect of ethanol on the gastrointestinal tract and brain is of great importance, and the hangover is largely triggered by the products of partial decomposition of ethyl alcohol, in particular, by acetaldehyde.
Poisoning low-quality alcohol
Separately, it must be said about alcohol substitutes poisoning. According to statistics, this type of poisoning occupies a leading position in the list of all intoxications. Moreover, more than 90% of victims die before the time of hospitalization.
Alcohol substitutes are:
butyl, hydrolytic and sulphite alcohols;
- denatured alcohol;
- various means of paint industry;
- methyl alcohol;
- ethylene glycol.
In case of poisoning with similar products, intoxication is poorly expressed or does not occur at all, visual disturbances, convulsions, drooling, sweating, vomiting, and pain in the abdomen and joints are often observed.
Intoxication by surrogates can not be removed at home - it is necessary to immediately seek qualified medical assistance. Delay can cost life. As first-aid measures, they induce vomiting, enterosorbent and any enveloping agent. Further, hospitalization is required.
First aid for alcohol poisoning
What to do in case of alcohol poisoning at home? For this, a number of measures are being taken aimed at ridding the body of ethyl alcohol and neutralizing its decay products.
First aid for alcohol poisoning includes the following steps.
- Remove residual alcoholic beverages from the stomach. To do this, cause vomiting, then wash the stomach - drink 2-3 glasses of salted water, again provoke vomiting and so until practically clean water comes out of the stomach.
- If unconsciousness is induced, vomiting cannot be induced. Call an ambulance. While waiting for her to arrive, lay the victim on one side, loosen his clothes, check his pulse and breathing. Turn your head, make sure that the tongue does not sink, and the vomit does not get into the respiratory tract. To bring the victim to his senses, let him smell ammonia, rub his ears.
If alcohol poisoning does not pose a threat to life, then intoxication is removed independently at home.
Treatment of alcohol intoxication at home
Treatment of alcohol poisoning at home consists of the following actions:
- removal of residues of ethyl alcohol and its decomposition products from the intestines - reception of chelators and coating agents;
- restoration of water-salt balance in the body;
- restoration of intestinal microflora;
- neutralization and removal of decay products of ethanol from the body;
- symptomatic therapy (pain relief, maintaining heart activity, etc.).
Sometimes poisoning is accompanied by bouts of vomiting. If you vomited once or twice - this is the body's natural reaction to poison and there will be no harm from it, but only benefit, given the current state. But if the emetic urge does not pass after emptying the stomach, then you need to take action.
How to stop vomiting after alcohol poisoning?
- Rinse your head with cold water or briefly apply ice to the back of the head.
- Drink some water or Regidron-type reducing solution.
- Do not eat or drink anything else until your stomach is calm.
If the measures taken do not give a result, antiemetic drugs will help. Indomitable vomiting, the presence of bile in the vomit or blood impurities are grounds for immediate hospitalization.
Let us dwell on the medicines with which they treat alcohol poisoning at home.
After freeing the stomach from the contents you need to take chelators. These drugs act in the intestines, capturing toxins and decomposition products on their surface, and removing them with feces. The following drugs have proven themselves well.
- "Enterosgel" with alcohol poisoning is added to the water that washes the stomach, in an amount of from 10 to 30 grams. After washing, take 40-50 grams of this drug with a glass of water. After 4–8 hours (or the next morning), another 15–30 grams of Enterosgel are taken.
- Polysorb MP powder for alcohol poisoning is taken in the amount of one tablespoon with a slide for half a glass of water. At bedtime and in the morning, the drug is repeated in the same dose. With severe intoxication, Polysorb MP is taken up to five times a day.
- "Smekta" has a sorbing and enveloping effect, with alcohol poisoning this property of the drug is an additional plus. For the prevention of a hangover, take 1-2 bags of "Smekty" in the evening, and in the morning use another bag.
- "Filtrum" with alcohol poisoning removes toxic substances from the intestines and helps restore microflora. It is taken 3-4 times a day for 1-3 tablets.
- Activated carbon with alcohol poisoning has the lowest sorption capacity, but because of its low cost and availability, it is used quite often. Before using the tablet is better to crush into powder. It is added to water for washing the stomach, and then taken orally at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight, diluted in a glass of water.
It must be remembered that all enterosorbents must be taken separately from drugs, otherwise the latter will lose their effectiveness. Between their methods it is necessary to observe a gap of at least one hour, and preferably two hours.
Vomiting dehydrates the body and washes away mineral salts from it. In addition, alcohol is a strong diuretic. In case of poisoning, you must drink plenty of water, preferably mineral or acidified with lemon juice. The drugs belonging to the group of rehydrating agents help to cope with the arisen imbalance. They contain a balanced set of sodium, potassium, chlorides, sometimes carbohydrates and help the body cope with intoxication.
"Regidron" with alcohol intoxication can be taken orally in an amount of 10-17 ml of the prepared solution per kg of weight. One packet of the drug is dissolved in one liter of water and stored in the refrigerator for no more than a day.
Analogs of “Regidron” are the preparations “Hydrovit” and “Citraglukosolan”. Also, a similar solution can be prepared independently: for one liter of water take 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. soda, 4 tbsp. l Sahara.
With strong alcohol intoxication, a dropper is needed. Its composition is approximately as follows:
- saline, or "Disol", or "Hemodez";
- 5 or 10% glucose solution;
- 5% solution of ascorbic acid.
If necessary, include vitamins (nicotinic acid, pyridoxine), magnesia, potassium chloride, panangin, heart remedies. The dropper volume is usually 400–500 ml. It should be put by a medical worker, as well as determine the composition of the solution for infusion - improper handling can be harmful to health.
Complete cleansing of the body from alcohol, possibly in the case of its removal by the kidneys. To this end, diuretics (diuretics) are used, the best and safest of which is ordinary water. You can also use the recipes of traditional medicine - drink decoctions of herbs. They not only restore vitamin losses, but also supply the body with antioxidants it needs.
Restoration of intestinal microflora
Alcohol and its decay products kill the intestinal microflora. After alcohol intoxication, the activity of the gastrointestinal tract is often disturbed, constipation or diarrhea develops. Beneficial bacteria must be restored. This can be done by eating dairy and fermented foods or taking probiotics:
Eases the hangover by emptying the bowels. If constipation is noted after drinking alcohol, you can put an enema - this will remove toxic products from the large intestine.
What not to do with alcohol poisoning
- In no case can not combine the intake of alcohol and diuretic "Furosemide", as this has a negative impact on the liver and kidneys.
- Aspirin is also taken with caution. It can be drunk only in the state of hangover, but if intoxication has not yet passed, then this medicine can cause various complications.
- You can not use any hypnotic drugs, as they exacerbate the depression of the central nervous system caused by alcohol.
- The recommendation to go to the bath and thereby get rid of a hangover is only suitable for people with Siberian health.
What to do with a hangover
How to treat a hangover in the morning after a heavy drink? The following measures are effective:
- take any enterosorbent;
- take an aspirin pill;
- for headaches, instead of aspirin, it is better to take a paracetamol or Citramone pill;
- drink more fluids, mineral water, herbal teas, or green tea;
- provide fresh air into the room;
- eat fermented milk products (kefir, yogurt, yogurt), sauerkraut, cucumber pickle.
You should not experiment with drugs, it is better to resort to using special pills for alcohol poisoning:
Folk remedies for a hangover
If there were no pills at hand, then you can use the folk remedies used in alcohol poisoning. In addition to the already mentioned brines from a hangover, the following remedies help:
- sweet hot tea with lemon;
- dogrose decoction;
- tomato juice, 1 raw egg, 10 drops of vinegar;
- to remove nausea helps sweetened green tea with mint or melissa;
- A vitamin cocktail will allow you to come in tone: mix one lemon or orange juice with honey and add one raw yolk;
- removes nausea tea with ginger and honey;
- Black tea and coffee have diuretic properties, but are contraindicated for heart problems.
Well helps with hangover douche. Start with hot water, then switch to pleasantly cold, alternate for 30–60 seconds several times, gradually increasing the temperature difference. Such a contrast will allow the skin to get rid of toxins, improve the functioning of the heart and blood vessels.
In conclusion, we note that it is much easier and more pleasant to prevent a hangover than to treat it. To do this, do not abuse the amount of alcohol, eat well foods containing starch and pectins (potatoes, bananas), and take one of the recommended enterosorbents for preventive purposes before the feast.