What to do if alcohol poisoning at home
Alcohol even in small doses has a toxic effect on the central nervous system. In medicine, there are three stages of alcohol intoxication - light, medium and heavy.
What are the signs of alcohol poisoning and how to remove alcohol intoxication at home? What medicines can I use to relieve hangover? What can not be done with poisoning, and in what cases should I see a doctor without wasting time on self-medication? Let's take a look at these questions, but first we'll determine what alcohol poisoning is.
What is alcohol intoxication?
The term alcoholic intoxication means poisoning the body with ethyl alcohol. Normally, a small amount of ethanol is rendered harmless in the liver without affecting the body. But when you use a quantity of alcohol that exceeds the detoxification capacity of the liver, the poison enters the brain and causes disturbances in higher nervous activity. Outwardly this is manifested by a feeling of euphoria, a clouding of consciousness, a violation of coordination.
With a severe degree of poisoning a person loses sensitivity, weak reflexes, and stun takes place. At the extreme stage, it is possible to stop the heart, stop breathing, deep coma. Such consequences arise when the concentration of ethyl alcohol in the blood is 3% or more. The lethal dose of alcohol is about 300 grams in pure alcohol. If we consider the average lethal dose in terms of body weight, then it is 8 g of ethanol per kg.
In everyday life, alcoholic poisoning is called any change, accompanied by a deterioration of well-being due to drinking alcohol. They can manifest immediately after taking a large dose (vomiting, unconsciousness) or to visit you the next morning - a hangover syndrome. In general, these conditions are treated equally, but there are some nuances. In the phase of acute poisoning, the impact of ethanol on the gastrointestinal tract and brain plays a big role, and the hangover is largely provoked by products of partial decomposition of ethyl alcohol, in particular, acetaldehyde.
Poisoning with substandard alcohol
Separately it is necessary to tell about poisoning with surrogates of alcohol. According to statistics, this type of poisoning takes the leading position in the list of all intoxications. At the same time, more than 90% of the victims die before the moment of hospitalization.
The surrogates of alcohol are:
butyl, hydrolytic and sulphite alcohols;
- denatured alcohol;
- various means of the paint and varnish industry;
- methyl alcohol;
- ethylene glycol.
When poisoning with such products intoxication is weak or does not occur at all, often visual impairment, convulsions, salivation, sweating, vomiting, abdominal pain and joint pain.
Intoxication with surrogates can not be taken at home - it's always necessary to immediately seek qualified medical help. Procrastination can cost lives. As measures of first aid cause vomiting, take enterosorbent and any enveloping agent. Further, hospitalization in a hospital is necessary.
First aid for alcohol poisoning
What to do with alcohol poisoning at home? To this end, a number of measures are taken to rid the body of ethyl alcohol and neutralize the products of its decomposition.
First aid for alcohol poisoning includes the following actions.
- Remove the leftover alcoholic beverages from the stomach. To do this, induce vomiting, then wash the stomach - drink 2-3 cups of salted water, again provoke vomiting and so on until the stomach does not come out almost pure water.
- If you lose consciousness, you can not provoke vomiting. Call for an ambulance. In anticipation of her arrival, put the victim on one side, loosen clothes, check the pulse and breath. Turn your head, make sure that your tongue does not sink, and vomit has not entered the respiratory tract. To bring the victim to life, let him sniff ammonia, rub his ears.
If alcoholic poisoning does not pose a threat to life, then intoxication is removed on their own at home.
Treatment of alcohol intoxication at home
Treatment of alcohol poisoning at home consists of such actions:
- Removal of the remains of ethyl alcohol and its decay products from the intestine - the intake of enterosorbents and enveloping agents;
- restoration of water-salt balance in the body;
- restoration of intestinal microflora;
- neutralization and removal of ethanol decay products from the body;
- symptomatic therapy (withdrawal of pain syndrome, maintenance of the heart, etc.).
Sometimes poisoning is accompanied by vomiting. If you vomited once or twice - this is a natural reaction of the body to the poison and from it there will be no harm, but only benefit, given the current state. But if the emetic desire does not go away after emptying the stomach, then you need to take action.
How to stop vomiting after alcohol poisoning?
- Rinse your head with cold water or briefly apply ice to the back of the head.
- Drink some water or reconstituted solutions such as "Regidron".
- Do not eat or drink anything else until the stomach calms down.
If the measures taken do not work, antiemetic drugs will help. Indomitable vomiting, the presence of bile or blood in the vomit, are the basis for immediate hospitalization.
Let us take a closer look at the medicines used to treat alcohol poisoning at home.
After releasing the stomach from the contents, enterosorbents should be taken. These drugs act in the intestines, trapping toxins and degradation products on their surface, and taking them out with calves. Well proven the following drugs.
- "Enterosgel" for alcohol poisoning is added to the water, which is washed with the stomach, in an amount of 10 to 30 grams. After washing, take 40-50 grams of this drug, with a glass of water. After 4-8 hours (or the next morning) take another 15-30 g "Enterosgelya."
- Powder " Polysorb MP " for alcohol poisoning is taken in the amount of one tablespoon with a slide for half a cup of water. Before going to bed and in the morning, taking the drug is repeated at the same dose. With a strong intoxication, "Polysorb MP" is taken up to five times a day.
- "Smecta" has a sorbing and enveloping effect, with alcohol poisoning this property of the drug is an additional plus. For the prevention of hangovers take 1-2 bags of "Smekty" in the evening, and in the morning they use one more sachet.
- "Filtrum" during alcohol poisoning removes toxic substances from the intestine and promotes the recovery of microflora. It is taken 3-4 times during the day for 1-3 tablets.
- Activated charcoal for alcohol poisoning has the lowest sorption ability, but because of its cheapness and availability it is used quite often. Before using the tablet, it is better to crush it into powder. It is added to the water for lavage of the stomach, and then taken internally from the calculation of 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight, diluting in a glass of water.
It must be remembered that all enterosorbents should be taken separately from drugs, otherwise the latter will lose their effectiveness. Between their methods it is necessary to observe a break at least one hour, and preferably two hours.
Vomiting dehydrates the body and flushes salts of minerals out of it. In addition, alcohol is a strong diuretic. When poisoning it is necessary to drink plenty of water, preferably mineral or acidified lemon juice. Medications that belong to the group of rehydrating drugs help cope with the imbalance. They contain a balanced set of sodium, potassium, chlorides, sometimes carbohydrates and help the body cope with intoxication.
"Regidron" with alcohol intoxication can be taken orally in the amount of 10-17 ml of the finished solution for one kg of weight. One package of the drug is dissolved in one liter of water and stored in the refrigerator for no more than a day.
Analogues of "Regidron" are preparations "Hydrovit" and "Citraglukosolan". Also a similar solution can be prepared by yourself: one liter of water is taken 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. soda, 4 tbsp. l. Sahara.
With strong alcohol intoxication, a dropper is needed. Its composition is approximately this:
- saline, or "Disol", or "Hemodez";
- 5 or 10% glucose solution;
- 5% solution of ascorbic acid.
If necessary, include vitamins (nicotinic acid, pyridoxine), magnesium, potassium chloride, panangin, cardiac agents. The volume of the dropper is usually 400-500 ml. Put it should a medical professional, as well as determine the composition of the solution for infusion - inept treatment can cause harm to health.
Complete cleansing of the body of alcohol, perhaps in the case of its excretion by the kidneys. To do this, use diuretics (diuretics), the best and safest of which is considered ordinary water. You can also use the recipes of folk medicine - drink broths of herbs. They not only restore vitamin losses, but also supply the body with the necessary antioxidants.
Restoration of intestinal microflora
Alcohol and its decay products kill useful intestinal microflora. After alcohol intoxication, the activity of the gastrointestinal tract is often disrupted, constipation or diarrhea develops. Useful bacteria need to be restored. You can do this by eating sour milk and sour products or taking probiotics:
It facilitates the course of a hangover emptying the intestines. If there is constipation after drinking alcohol, then you can put an enema - this will remove toxic products from the thick intestine.
What you can not do with alcohol poisoning
- In no case should you combine drinking alcohol and diuretic "Furosemide", as this affects negatively the liver and kidneys.
- Also take caution with aspirin. It can be drunk only in a hangover state, but if intoxication has not passed, then this medicine can cause various complications.
- Do not use any hypnotic drugs, as they exacerbate the central nervous system depression caused by alcohol.
- The recommendation to go to a bath and thus get rid of a hangover is good only for people with Siberian health.
What to do with a hangover
How to treat a hangover the next morning after heavy libations? The following measures are effective:
- take any enterosorbent;
- take an aspirin tablet;
- with a headache instead of aspirin is better to take a pill of paracetamol or "Citramon";
- drink more liquid, mineral water, herbal tea or green tea;
- Ensure the flow of fresh air into the room;
- use in the food sour-milk products (kefir, yogurt, yogurt), sauerkraut, cucumber pickle.
Experiment with drugs is not worth it, it's better to resort to the help of special tablets from alcohol poisoning:
People's remedies for a hangover
If there were no tablets at hand, then you can use the folk remedies used for alcohol poisoning. In addition to the already mentioned pickle brines, the following tools help:
- sweet hot tea with lemon;
- broth of dogrose;
- tomato juice, 1 raw egg, 10 drops of table vinegar;
- to remove nausea helps sweetened green tea with mint or melissa;
- come in tone will allow a vitamin cocktail: juice of one lemon or orange mixed with honey and add one raw yolk;
- removes nausea tea with ginger and honey;
- black tea and coffee have diuretic properties, but are contraindicated for problems with the heart.
A good shower helps with a hangover. Start with hot water, then switch to a nice cold, alternate 30-60 seconds several times, gradually increasing the temperature difference. Such a contrast will allow the skin to get rid of toxins and toxins, improve the work of the heart and blood vessels.
In conclusion, we note that it is much easier and more pleasant to prevent a hangover than to treat it. To do this, do not abuse the amount of alcohol, eat well with foods containing starch and pectins (potatoes, bananas), and before a feast, take one of the recommended enterosorbents for preventive purposes.