Antidote for mercury poisoning
In each house, without exception, there are products containing mercury: thermometers, mercury or fluorescent lamps. These are fragile things that can break at any time, and the consequences of such an accident are difficult to predict. Acute and chronic mercury vapor poisoning is also found in our time, despite the improvement of such frequently used things. Therefore, information on how to act if an unforeseen situation occurred will not be superfluous. How to secure a family? To do this, it is enough to know about the antidotes of mercury and use them properly on occasion.
Signs of mercury poisoning
Before using specific antidote drugs for poisoning, it is necessary to be sure of the reason for its occurrence. What signs indicate mercury lesions? Such processes are characterized by a picture of heavy metal poisoning.
- In contact with the skin, mucous membranes, local disturbances occur: inflammation - conjunctivitis, rhinopharyngolaryngitis, an allergic reaction and itching of the skin. The effect of sulfuric mercury ointment on the skin is the following: a small dotted rash appears, which can merge, its intensity sometimes changes, and the body temperature rises to 40–41 ° C.
- The upper airways are affected: bronchitis, often with an asthmatic component.
- When salt gets inside, people complain of a metallic taste in the mouth, dizziness, fatigue.
- There is pain when swallowing painful cramping character (in the stomach and along the esophagus). The person rushes about, groans and shouts, the stomach is swollen. But abdominal pains can be reduced with light pressure. Vomiting is often noted with an admixture of blood.
- Mercury causes headache, severe weakness, drooling. The defeat of the nervous system is observed in the form of lack of sleep, fatigue, irritability (which occurs during the chronic process).
But such a clinical picture can be observed with severe intoxications after poisoning with any metals. Therefore, to be completely sure of mercury poisoning, it is necessary to examine the whereabouts of the person. What to look for:
- broken mercury thermometer, fluorescent lamp;
- abundance of seafood, especially mollusks;
- nearby located abandoned landfills and wastelands with old batteries thrown away, pressure gauges, incandescent lamps (estimated source).
Antidotes against mercury
Special therapy includes the use of antidotes against mercury. Their action is aimed at the binding and neutralization of the metal.
Do not forget: even if you managed to find out the cause of the poisoning and correctly apply the drug - hospitalization is obligatory.
There are several preparations against mercury, which will be discussed now.
This drug, when interacting with a metal, forms a stable complex that easily and quickly binds mercury compounds. After intramuscular injection into the body begins to act after a few minutes.
If a person is conscious, it can be administered orally (by mouth). Excreted by the kidneys. Included in the list of essential drugs.
The only significant disadvantage for many when it is used is that intravenous injection causes pain.
Proteins, amino acids and other antidotes
These are the improvised substances that can be used as antidotes for mercury poisoning, and which are present in every home:
- raw egg white;
- methionine, an essential amino acid found in milk protein, casein;
- Activated carbon.
Combines all these unique antidotes with several properties:
- non-specific - can be used for any poisoning;
- they are used only orally, but due to the fact that they get into the stomach for a long time, their purpose is limited in case of mercury poisoning.
It is recommended to use it only in extreme cases, in the absence of other more effective substances.
Another substance that may be at home, especially in people suffering from high blood pressure, is magnesium sulfate. But due to the pronounced effect on the entire body (nausea, sensation of heat and weakness), it is better to use it only under the supervision of health workers.
An effective antidote to mercury salts is the Strizhevsky antidote. The name in different sources sounds different. Assigned inside, well binds and inactivates mercury. Approximately 100 ml of the substance is injected at one time, then according to indications, which may depend on the amount of a poisonous substance in the body.
In medicine, such compounds as thetacin-calcium and magnesium are widely used. These medicines are prescribed only in the conditions of medical institutions, under the supervision of health workers. Introduce them intravenously on glucose and saline. Drugs are not intended for home use.
Dimercaptopropanesulfonate sodium is an effective and effective antidote for mercury salts, it is well combined with previous means. Convenient to use, as used inside, injected intravenously, subcutaneously. Also assigned to children, with caution to pregnant women. It binds salts, activates the protective mechanisms of the body.
It is enough to have in the first-aid kit 1-2 of the available drugs to provide first aid. The next stage is the referral of the injured person to the hospital.