Ascorbic acid - benefit and harm
The most commonly used drug during a cold is not newfangled, high-speed antiviral drugs, but this is ascorbic. It is acquired not only during the period of the disease or for the prevention of any infection, it is used to strengthen the blood vessels, normalize the work of the whole organism.
Why is ascorbic so popular everywhere in the post-Soviet space and what effect does it have on the body? Is this substance so beneficial, and what dangers will ascorbic acid cause if used improperly? The benefits and harms of ascorbinka are all about this drug.
What is ascorbic acid
Ascorbic acid or vitamin C is naturally found in many plant foods. This is a water soluble vitamin. It belongs to the group of biologically active substances that are involved in almost all life processes, and are required in small quantities. What you need to know about ascorbike?
- In humans, it is not synthesized.
- How much can you take ascorbic acid per day? The daily rate of an adult is 100 mg; during a cold, its amount should be doubled.
- Ascorbic acid is a very unstable substance and it oxidizes when exposed to oxygen at room temperature.
- Poisoning with natural ascorbic acid (found in products) or overdose of vitamin C is almost impossible and it happens in rare special cases.
- Vitamin C is not only the participant of the reactions, he helps the work and the assimilation of other vital substances.
Ascorbic acid in its pure form and in compounds with other substances has a positive effect on many body systems. With its regular use, the body is easier to cope with infections. What else helps vitamin C?
- Improves iron absorption.
- Participates in many reactions: stimulates the liver at the cellular level, takes part in tissue respiration, in redox reactions.
- It is part of more complex reactions: the synthesis of thyroid hormones and adrenal glands, steroid hormones.
- Contributes to the normal process of recovery and healing of wounds and ulcers.
- An overdose of ascorbic acid in a child is rare, and its lack leads to disruption of the formation of bones, collagen and dentin of teeth.
- Ascorbicum increases the resistance of the human body to stressful situations, infections and cold.
- Normalizes vascular permeability.
Ascorbic acid is beneficial for everyone, especially at the optimal daily dose. If you eat fruits and vegetables every day, then this is enough. Vitamin C is contained in green onions, pepper, garlic, dill, cabbage (most of all in sour), in all citrus fruits, black currant, wild rose, mountain ash, kiwi.
Can I get poisoned with ascorbic acid? Yes, if the product is of poor quality or there are disturbances in the work of the organs of the digestive system. This is more often the case when using synthetic "pharmacy" vitamin. You can not eat more than the norm of natural vitamin, that is, that contained in the products. Ascorbic acid is rapidly eliminated by the kidneys, so there is no excess in the body.
The benefits of ascorbic acid with glucose
On sale, in addition to pure vitamin C, there are several of its compounds with other drugs. Most often, it is part of the complex vitamins. But there is another drug, familiar to all from childhood - ascorbic acid with glucose. What you need to know about this two-component connection?
- Synthetic vitamin C is derived from glucose.
- Working together, these two substances improve the function of the liver.
- This is a good energy feed for the body.
But in large quantities it should not be used - even this seemingly safe product can lead to irreparable changes.
How is ascorbic acid with glucose useful and when is it used? Indications for the use of vitamin and joint drug with glucose are as follows:
- Apply it with severe fatigue, irritability and weakness.
- If there is increased vascular permeability.
- Ascorbic with glucose is used for bleeding gums, hemorrhages in the tissue.
- In case of increased susceptibility to infections, it is especially recommended to use vitamin C for young children belonging to a group of often long-term ills.
- Useful ascorbic acid with glucose in liver diseases, in case of poisoning, to help the body.
- Ascorbic is recommended for persistent pain in the limbs, loosening and tooth loss, impaired skeletal development.
- In identifying hemorrhagic diathesis.
- Increased blood clotting, thrombophlebitis and thrombosis (blockage of blood vessels with blood clots).
- Poisoning with ascorbic acid in combination with glucose can lead to disruption of the pancreas. At the same time, glucose appears in the urine and glycogen synthesis is disturbed - this is the main form of storage of its excess in the human body.
- Excessive intake of vitamin with food disrupts the stomach glands, which manifests itself in the form of heartburn, nausea and pain.
- This symptom of an overdose of ascorbic acid as an allergic reaction in the form of urticaria is rare, but with increased sensitivity to the drug is possible.
- Kidney failure: changes in the urine, a constant overdose of vitamin often leads to the appearance of kidney stones.
- This is another factor in the development of hypertension.
- Ascorbic acid is rapidly absorbed, therefore, gastric lavage, the introduction of a large amount of sorbent is ineffective.
- The best help in such situations is hospitalization, even if only a mild allergic rash appears. No one knows how tomorrow the body will react to an excess of vitamin.
- Treatment of such conditions will be symptomatic. In the formation of blood clots - thrombolytic therapy. Pain in the stomach and heartburn requires the appointment of drugs to protect the mucous.
- Is there an antidote of ascorbic acid? Vitamin C itself is an antidote for many poisonings. But there are no specific substances for its neutralization. Other vitamins (A, E) will help to slightly reduce its aggressive effect on the body, but they are prescribed under the supervision of doctors.
What could be the consequences of an overdose of ascorbic acid? The drug is released freely in the pharmacy, for its purchase there is no need to write a prescription from a doctor. Is he so safe?
An overdose of vitamin C is rare, there is no supply of this substance in the body. All that is used with products is immediately consumed by the body, and the excess is excreted by the kidneys, through the intestines and sweat glands. But when using synthetic ascorbic acid or injecting a substance, there may be some difficulties.
What to do with an excess of vitamin
When weakness, heartburn and abdominal pain appear, it is difficult to suspect an excess of ascorbic acid in the body. Only carefully collected history can help make such a diagnosis. What to do with an overdose of ascorbic acid? Any of the developed conditions associated with an excess of ascorbic acid in the body requires medical supervision. How can you help a loved one with symptoms of poisoning? What you need to know about overdose?
What is ascorbic acid for? It helps to cope with the changes of the growing organism and is indicated for severe physical and mental stress. Vitamin C hypervitaminosis can be associated only with the misuse of a synthetic drug in the absence of child control. How to avoid its dangerous influence? Do not abuse ascorbic acid tablets, and with its systematic reception should be observed at the doctor.