Ascorbic acid is good and bad
The most commonly used drug during a cold is not the newfangled high-speed antiviral drugs, but it is ascorbic. It is acquired not only in the period of the disease or for the prevention of any infection, it is used to strengthen blood vessels, normalize the work of the whole organism.
Why is ascorbic so popular everywhere in the post-Soviet space and what effect does it have on the body? Is this substance so useful and what are the dangers of ascorbic acid when used improperly? The benefits and harm of ascorbic acid are all about this drug.
What is ascorbic acid
Ascorbic acid or vitamin C in nature is found in many plant products. It is a water-soluble vitamin. It belongs to the group of biologically active substances that participate in virtually all life processes, but are required in small quantities. What do you need to know about ascorbic?
- In the human body, it is not synthesized.
- How much can I take ascorbic acid per day? The daily norm of an adult is 100 mg; during a cold, the amount should be doubled.
- Ascorbic acid is a very unstable substance and it is oxidized by exposure to oxygen at room temperature.
- The poisoning with natural ascorbic (found in foods) or an overdose of vitamin C is almost impossible and happens in rare special cases.
- Vitamin C is not only a participant in reactions, it helps the work and assimilation of other vital substances.
Benefits of ascorbic
Ascorbic acid in pure form and in compounds with other substances positively affects many body systems. With its regular use, the body is easier to cope with infections. What else helps vitamin C?
- Improves the absorption of iron.
- Participates in many reactions: stimulates the liver at the cellular level, takes part in tissue respiration, and oxidation-reduction reactions.
- It is part of more complex reactions: synthesis of thyroid hormones and adrenal glands, steroid hormones.
- Promotes the normal process of recovery and healing of wounds and ulcers.
- Overdosage of ascorbic acid in a child is rare, and its lack leads to a violation of the formation of bones, collagen and dentin teeth.
- Ascorbic increases the resistance of the human body to stressful situations, infections and cold.
- Normalizes vascular permeability.
All are useful ascorbic acid, especially in the optimal daily dose. If you eat fruits and vegetables a day, that's enough. Contains vitamin C in green onions, peppers, garlic, dill, cabbage (most of all in sauerkraut), in all citrus, black currant, dog rose, mountain ash, kiwi.
Is it possible to poison with ascorbic acid? Yes, if the product is substandard or there are abnormalities in the functioning of the digestive system. This is more often when you use a synthetic "pharmacy" vitamin. It is impossible to eat more than the norm of natural vitamin, that is, that which is contained in the products. Ascorbic is quickly excreted by the kidneys, so there is no surplus in the body.
The use of ascorbic acid with glucose
On sale, in addition to pure vitamin C, there are several of its compounds with other drugs. Most often it is a part of complex vitamins. But there is another drug, familiar to everyone from childhood - ascorbic acid with glucose. What do you need to know about this two-component connection?
- Synthetic vitamin C is obtained from glucose.
- Working together, these two substances improve the performance of the liver.
- This is a good energy supplement for the body.
But in large quantities it should not be used - even such a seemingly safe product can lead to irreparable changes.
How useful is ascorbic acid with glucose and when is it used? Indications for the use of the vitamin and glucose-based drug are as follows:
- Apply it with severe fatigue, irritability and weakness.
- If there is an increased permeability of blood vessels.
- Ascorbicum with glucose is used for bleeding gums, hemorrhages in the tissue.
- In the case of increased susceptibility to infections, it is especially recommended to use vitamin C in small children belonging to the group who are often long-term ill.
- It is useful ascorbic acid with glucose in liver diseases, in case of poisoning to help the body.
- Ascorbic is recommended for permanent pain in the limbs, loosening and loss of teeth, violation of the development of the skeleton.
- When detecting hemorrhagic diathesis.
- Increased blood clotting, thrombophlebitis and thrombosis (clotting of blood vessels with blood clots).
- The poisoning of ascorbic acid in combination with glucose can lead to disruption of the pancreas. At the same time there is glucose in the urine and the synthesis of glycogen is broken - this is the main form of storage of its excess in the human body.
- Excessive repeated intake of vitamin with food disrupts the work of the glands of the stomach, which manifests itself in the form of heartburn, nausea, and pain.
- This symptom of an overdose of ascorbic acid as an allergic reaction in the form of urticaria is rare, but with increased sensitivity to the drug is possible.
- Violation of the kidneys: changes in the urine, a constant overdose of vitamin often leads to the appearance of kidney stones.
- This is another factor in the development of hypertension.
- Ascorbic acid is rapidly absorbed, so gastric lavage, the introduction of a large amount of sorbent - ineffective.
- The best help in such situations is hospitalization, even if only an allergic rash appears. Nobody knows how tomorrow the body will react to excess vitamin.
- Treatment of such conditions will be symptomatic. In the formation of thrombi - thrombolytic therapy. Pain in the stomach and heartburn requires the appointment of drugs to protect the mucosa.
- Is there an antidote to ascorbic acid? Vitamin C itself is an antidote for many poisonings. But there are no specific substances for its neutralization. A little reduce its aggressive effect on the body will help other vitamins (A, E), but they are appointed under the supervision of doctors.
What are the possible consequences of an overdose of ascorbic acid? The drug is freely released in the pharmacy, for its purchase there is no need to prescribe a prescription from a doctor. Is it so safe?
An overdose of vitamin C is rare, there is no reserve of this substance in the body. Everything that is used with food is immediately consumed by the body, and excess is excreted by the kidneys, through the intestine and sweat glands. But with the use of synthetic ascorbic acid or the injection of a substance in the form of injections, some difficulties may arise.
What to do with excess vitamin
With the appearance of weakness, heartburn and abdominal pain, it is difficult to suspect an excess of ascorbic acid in the body. Only carefully collected anamnesis can help to make such a diagnosis. What should I do if I get an overdose of ascorbic acid? Any of the developed conditions associated with excess ascorbic acid in the body requires the supervision of a doctor. How can you help a loved one with symptoms of poisoning? What you need to know about an overdose?
Why do I need ascorbic acid? It helps to cope with changes in the growing body and is shown with a pronounced physical and mental load. Hypervitaminosis of vitamin C can be associated only with the misuse of a synthetic drug in the absence of control over children. How to avoid his dangerous influence? Do not abuse ascorbic acid in tablets, and with a systematic intake of it should be observed at the doctor.