Signs of botulism in conservation
Every year, canned foods are becoming less popular. The older generation has always harvested conservation for the winter. Now in the shops you can find any delicacy and at any time of the year.
But still you should not forget about your favorite salted tomatoes, pickled mushrooms and crispy cucumbers, which are loved by both adults and children. A real hostess always has in her stock for the winter a couple of jars of delicious home canning. And do not forget about the sweet jam, which will bring memories of sunny summer.
But not everyone knows about the great danger that lurks in sweetheart canned foods and threatens anyone, namely botulism in conservation.
What is botulism
Botulism - an infectious disease that affects the central nervous system of a person, can lead to paralysis and even death.
The causative agent is microbes (anaerobes) that can live without oxygen. Under favorable conditions, bacteria begin to multiply, releasing a particularly dangerous toxin.
Pathogens in the form of spores inhabit the soil, along with vegetables and fruits fall into closed cans. Also carriers are mushrooms, grains, meat and fish.
Botulism bacteria begin to actively proliferate and release toxins in an environment without oxygen. Bacteria are extremely resistant. Spores withstand temperature processing up to 100 degrees, even for several hours. They die at a temperature of 120 degrees, boiling for about half an hour. But such a high temperature is hard to achieve at home. And these bacteria can withstand even a high concentration of acetic acid and salt.
Canned foods cooked in production are specially treated, which means they are safer. If there is no desire or ability at home to carry out all stages of sterilization of products and cans, it is better not to engage in conservation at all. After all, this is your own health!
Signs of botulism in canned food
Ordinary preservation and preservation of botulism-infected, are no different, which is quite a dangerous factor. The bacterium does not manifest itself: not outwardly, neither by smell, nor by taste. Accurately determine the presence of toxin will help only laboratory tests.
And yet, you can recognize botulism in the bank at home. It often happens that the liquid in the bank becomes cloudy, bubbles form. But bacteria do not always manifest themselves. Perhaps the only sure sign of botulism in the bank is a bloated lid. Such products must be discarded immediately!
So how to determine the presence of botulism bacteria in canned food? Signs of botulism in conservation - this is a swollen can, the formation of bubbles.
It is important, at the end of the shelf life, immediately get rid of canned food!
What canned food can be botulism
- In tomato juice, botulism is unlikely to develop, as this juice has a low pH.
- It is necessary to especially thoroughly clean the mushrooms, because there are quite a lot of germs on them. Next, be sure to process and pickle mushrooms by adding vinegar.
- For jam, too, should be taken seriously.
- You also need to be careful with the mashed potatoes and preservation, which did not undergo heat treatment (berries and fruits ground with sugar). At the slightest sign of gas, you need to throw out such a product.
The danger of botulism in canned goods
This is a rather rare and very dangerous disease. Spores of bacteria enter the body and cause a serious illness that can be fatal. The first signs of the disease appear from several hours to 5–10 days.
Symptoms of the disease:
- dry mouth;
- the temperature does not rise;
- vomiting, diarrhea - a rarity, prolonged constipation occurs more often;
- nasal, swallowed;
- strangulation of vision (like a grid or in a fog);
The toxin secreted by bacteria is to blame. If not to take measures, the patient has difficulty breathing and paralysis.
- At the first symptoms, you must call an ambulance.
- First, clean the stomach with soda solution. Intestinal lavage. Next, the doctor must determine the type of toxin and enter a special serum.
- In no case can not engage in self-treatment or treatment of folk methods. When the first symptoms appear, you should consult a doctor immediately.
Further treatment consists of two stages:
- body cleansing;
- getting rid of neurological symptoms.
How to protect yourself from botulism in canned food
- it is necessary to thoroughly wash out the products and all the dishes used in the preservation;
- act according to the recipe using the specified amount of salt and acid;
- conduct thorough heat treatment of products;
- fish and meat can only be preserved with an autoclave;
- stale, moldy or spoiled food cannot be preserved;
- store conservation in a dark place and at low temperatures (4-15 degrees);
- do not use canned foods with a bloated lid;
- products that will be canned must boil for 20 minutes;
- do not use metal covers;
- add vinegar that neutralizes toxin;
- do not buy home canned food from the hands;
- can boil canned foods before use;
- it is better not to engage in the preservation of mushrooms and meat at home, because it is quite difficult to sterilize them yourself;
- Be sure to boil the jar for at least 30 minutes.
Some facts about botulism in canned food
- Botulism is a deadly disease, but if you go to a doctor in time, you can quickly get rid of this bacterium.
- This is a non-contagious disease. You can become infected only by eating an infected product.
- Botulism is a rare disease. You should not panic and abandon your favorite home preservation, but it is better to be careful.
- You can find several new recipes on the Internet. Now there are many new ways of processing products, but do not forget about the "grandmother's" recipes, because the older generation knew a lot of secrets how to protect themselves and their family.
- The initial symptoms of the disease are similar to many other diseases, therefore laboratory tests are necessary. This means that if a person has felt a certain ailment, it is better to immediately go to the hospital, since the disease is quite serious.
It is worth being just more attentive to your health, and you can enjoy your favorite pickles without harm to health.