Can there be botulism in jam
Botulism is an acute infectious disease, accompanied by damage to the nervous system with botulinum toxin. It is known that a dangerous toxin can appear in canned vegetables, meat, mushrooms, and fish.
But is botulinum toxin in jam? How can he appear there? How to determine that he is there? What make doubts about the goodness of the product? What is the prevention of botulism? We will deal with these questions.
Where does botulism come from
The source of the toxin is the spore-forming movable bacillus Clostridium botulinum. It lives in the soil and is widely distributed in nature. In the absence of oxygen, the vegetative form (that is, which actively feeds and multiplies) produces the strongest natural poison, botulinum toxin. Microorganism carriers are warm-blooded animals, sometimes fish, crustaceans and mollusks. They enter the digestive tract of animals with food and water contaminated with soil. Inside animals, toxigenic sticks multiply and, once released into the environment, turn into spores. Permanent habitat of the latter - the land. Thus, disputes are spread and live everywhere.
Sticks can produce toxins only in the absence of oxygen. The best environment for reproduction and the formation of toxins in natural conditions is cadaveric material, and in the home - canned foods.
How botulinum toxin works
The poison is destroyed in an alkaline environment and boiling. It affects the nerve cells of the spinal and medulla, due to which the movement is carried out, as well as nerve endings. By firmly binding to neurons, the poison blocks the release of the acetylcholine mediator in the muscles. This leads to impaired transmission of nerve impulses from nerve fibers to muscle cells. As a result, the incentive to move to the destination does not reach. From here develops the weakness of different muscle groups.
The greatest threat is the defeat of the vital muscle groups - oral cavity, pharynx, larynx, respiratory (intercostal, diaphragmatic). This leads to a decrease in ventilation of the lungs, inability to swallow, chew. The weakness of the muscles subsequently goes into paralysis when their complete inability to make contractions occurs.
The inability to swallow leads to the development of parotitis, pneumonia due to the reflux of saliva from the mouth and digestive juices from the stomach, not to mention the inability to eat and drink. The toxin also affects the heart and blood vessels. Toxic damage to the heart muscle develops in the form of myocarditis, and vasospasm occurs. Also, impaired sphincter relaxation leads to urinary retention. Developing acute respiratory failure is mainly the cause of death. In second place is mortality from heart damage.
How botulinum toxin can get into the jam
Can there be botulism in jam? It would seem, where can he come from? After all, the discussion above did not concern either berries or fruits, from which jam is usually prepared. Let's see what conditions are needed to get both jam and botulism.
- Food or utensils should be contaminated by the ground - the source of the habitat of the dangerous wand.
- Use in the preparation of poorly washed fruits and berries.
A swollen jar of ready-made jam indicates the poor quality of the product.
Once in favorable conditions, the spores become vegetative forms and begin to produce a toxin. Since canned cans usually cost at least a month, clostridia have enough time for toxin production. Especially if they will be in the bank a lot. Open a jar, eat jam - get the disease.
Usually the taste and appearance of the product is not changed. The toxin may also show up in a bloated jar.
If everything looks normal, and suspicion still arises whether botulism is in jam, then it should be subjected to heat treatment. Boiling for 10 minutes completely neutralizes the poison.
- Thoroughly wash the products for making jam and sterilize the dishes.
- Do not eat jam from bloated cans.
- In case of doubt in the suitability of the product in food - boil for 10 minutes.
In jam, which is stored under a capron lid, there is never botulism. Since such covers allow air to pass through and even if there are spores in the product, they will remain spores and there will be no toxin, and therefore botulism.
Botulism is a serious infectious-toxic disease that causes life-threatening changes in the body, therefore, it is a responsibility to treat possible infection! Knowing where the toxin and the signs of an infected product come from, you can avoid poisoning. Compliance with preventive measures will prevent the formation of botulinum toxin in products and will make life safer.