What to do if the kitten has poisoned?
Kittens are more susceptible to poisoning than adult cats. They, like all children, are very curious and often drag all sorts of nastiness into their mouths. A small organism is more vulnerable, it has a smaller margin of safety and usually poisoning for babies has more severe consequences.
If your kitten is poisoned, contact your veterinarian immediately!
Pre-call the clinic and describe in detail the symptoms, if possible, name the toxic substance that caused the poisoning. Do not try to treat the baby yourself, because when poisoning with various substances may require different help and specific antidote.
The most common causes of poisoning in kittens
A kitten living in a house can get poisoned for the following reasons.
- In contact with household chemicals, which contains caustic substances (concentrated acids and alkalis, alcohols, aldehydes). Usually the pungent smell deters animals, but not all drugs possess them. For example, ethylene glycol contained in antifreezes has a sweet taste and is very attractive for kittens. A small kitten is enough to swallow less than one milliliter of antifreeze to get poisoned.
- Preparations against insects and ticks. These poisons can act through the skin. Poisoning occurs when improper use of funds from fleas: solutions, drops, shampoo. Kittens under 4 months of age are not recommended to use strong insecticides. Limit yourself to a special shampoo for kittens, and better still comb the fleas by hand. Be careful when handling the room, otherwise the kitten may be poisoned by residual insecticide.
- Poisons against rats and mice: while eating the bait or rodent who died from such a poison.
- Houseplants can cause skin inflammation on contact, poisoning when the kitten eats leaves, or if it nibbles the stem. Chrysanthemum, ficus dwarf, Benjamin ficus, euphorbia, calla, dieffenbachia, philodendron, some types of lilies, amaryllis, asparagus, ivy, kalanchoe, azalea are dangerous for cats.
- Medicines from the home first aid kit.
- A kitten walking freely on the street may also get poisoned by contact with other substances.
- Inhalation of vapors of petroleum products.
- When eating wild poisonous plants.
- In contact with preparations for the destruction of weeds, pests of the garden.
- Waste poisoning occurs very rarely in cats, as they are very picky about food, but this possibility cannot be completely ruled out.
Signs of poisoning
With most food poisoning in a kitten, diarrhea and vomiting develop as natural defenses. But you should know that they are not signs, characteristic only for poisoning. Vomiting in a kitten can occur with some infections or with non-communicable diseases of the stomach and intestines. Acute poisoning is characterized by a sudden and abrupt onset of symptoms, normal or low body temperature. Also possible in case of poisoning in a kitten:
- symptoms of damage to the central nervous system: convulsions, paralysis, muscle tremor, difficulty or frequent shallow breathing, abnormal dilation or contraction of the pupil, coma;
- abdominal tenderness;
- excitement, continuous meowing, bouts of hysteria;
- sudden blindness.
First aid for poisoning a kitten
What to do in case of poisoning a kitten in the first place? Regardless of whether you go to the vet or not, immediately give the kitten a first aid.
Stop animal contact with poison. If the kitten inhaled harmful fumes - bring it to fresh air. If he has stained his coat or has suffered from improper use of a flea medicine, wash it with soap or baby shampoo.
Cause vomiting if the cat is poisoned by eating poison. You can do this in one of the following ways.
- 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide at the rate of half a teaspoon per 1 kg of weight. Repeat up to three times in ten minutes.
- Salt solution: dilute one teaspoonful in half a glass of water. A kitten is enough to pour 10-20 ml of solution.
- A solution of potassium permanganate slightly pink.
- Put some baking soda crystals on the root of the tongue.
- Syrup ipecac one teaspoon per 5 kg of weight.
Solutions are poured into the mouth of a teaspoon or syringe without a needle.
Do not induce vomiting in a kitten in the following cases.
- If he already vomited. It is also useless to induce vomiting, if more than 2 hours have passed since the poison was eaten, it has already left the stomach.
- If the animal is inhibited or in a coma. In such a state, there is a high probability of disturbing the gag reflex, and the kitten may choke on vomit.
- In case of poisoning with alkalis, acids, detergents, petroleum products.
Do not despair if you are unable to induce vomiting in a kitten. What to do next?
When food poisoning, give the kitten adsorbents and coating substances to slow the absorption of the poison. Activated carbon, crushed and diluted in water, Polysorb, Enterosgel or other adsorbents.
Flaxseed decoction, milk, egg white solution (with water 1: 1), liquid starch paste or other mucous broth.
What to do if the kitten was poisoned, and professional veterinary care is unavailable for some reason? In this case, you need to accurately determine if the poison itself is not, then the nature of its effects on the body.
How to treat a kitten after poisoning
After the implementation of first aid measures at home, it is possible to carry out therapeutic measures.
- Three hours after giving the enveloping substances and adsorbents, give a laxative: one teaspoon of vegetable oil, saline laxatives (sodium or magnesium sulfate, 2% solution of 1–5 ml).
- Enema cleans the intestines well: a kitten 5-10 ml of saline to enter from the syringe into the rectum.
- To enhance the work of the kidneys give a diuretic, better vegetable origin: decoctions of bearberry, lingonberry, juniper berries, diuretic collection.
- When dehydrating, saline or Ringer's solution is soldered.
- To maintain the body, they drink glucose solution.
- To work the liver. When the kitten is poisoned, how to treat the liver so as not to harm? You can give Kars 1/4 pills, Hepatovat 0.5 ml per month - this is well supported by the body.
Remember, in case of poisoning it is important to give first aid as soon as possible. The success of further treatment will depend on this. Stop the absorption of poison, and then seek qualified veterinary care.