What to do if the puppy is poisoned

отравление щенка In addition to knowledge of nursing, feeding and keeping the dog, the owner must acquire minimum skills of first aid in case of accidents. Little puppies are very inquisitive and enthusiastically explore the space around them. A toddler left to himself can eat anything harmful for his health.

How to recognize the poisoning, and how to help the pet? What to do if the puppy is poisoned, because in an acute case every minute counts? A little knowledge of the causes of poisoning and treatment methods will help the owner not to get confused and quickly take action if necessary.

The main causes of poisoning puppy

домашние питомцы Nature has provided the dog with reliable protection against eating poisonous substances - scent and taste. In what cases do instincts fail?

Ironically, the cause of poisoning the pet can be his master:

  • the use of medications without consulting a veterinarian;
  • non-compliance with the dose;
  • misuse of funds against worms and fleas.

The puppy's organism is still vulnerable: the metabolism proceeds at a high rate, and the systems for removing harmful products are not formed well enough to fight poisons. Quick intoxication contributes and a small body weight.

For a puppy, tablets from a home medicine chest are dangerous - take it away.

Food with a "sultry" has a kind of attractive property for the family of dogs. Unlike cats, dogs are less discriminating in this respect. Yes, their stomach is arranged so that it can digest a lot. And yet you should not give dogs, especially small puppies, suspicious foods, cheap dog food, letting you choose "delicious" for a walk.

изониазид Intentional poisoning. Neighbors, dogtowners, city authorities use no poisonous conscience to use poisonous substances to fight animals. Poisoned lures with rat poison (zookoumarins) or isoniazid can cause poisoning in the puppy. Symptoms will vary depending on the drug used.

In the conditions of a private home, cases of poisoning with preparations for the control of pests of the garden and the vegetable garden are possible: from insects, ants, rodents, Bordeaux mixture, herbicides (weed control agents).

In rare cases, the puppy can suffer from the effects of alkali, acid, household chemicals, petroleum products (gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel). With petroleum products, dogs are more often poisoned by inhalation.

There are also, though rare cases of poisoning by wild poisonous plants.

Signs of poisoning in the puppy

It should be noted that some symptoms of poisoning are similar to the onset of an infectious disease (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy). An important role is played by the circumstances and nature of the manifestation of symptoms.

отсутствие аппетита Vomiting in a puppy can occur if the dog has eaten something wrong. Sometimes the process of releasing the stomach does not lead to health consequences. If the puppy feels well, and the vomiting is single - it's okay. Look at the contents - what caused this reaction? Bad sign - a strong vomiting, little content, it is uncharacteristic, has a strange smell (acid, gasoline, garlic).

At the majority of poisonings there are diarrhea, abdominal tenderness, refusal of forage, salivation. If the puppy swallowed a corrosive substance (acid, alkali, household chemicals) - redness and soreness of the mouth, tongue.

Weakness, lethargy, confusion. Or, on the contrary, unnatural agitation.

Nervous phenomena - staggering, involuntary jerking or trembling of muscles, paralysis, convulsions, seizures, loss of consciousness, enlargement or narrowing of the pupil.

Some plant poisons, anticonvulsant or cardiac drugs cause a slowing of the heartbeat, a violation of breathing (irregular, delayed, difficult).

First aid for a puppy for poisoning

пищевая сода When poisoning the puppy, the treatment will work the better, the earlier it was started. It is necessary to take measures of pre-medical care, aimed at stopping the receipt of poison in the blood.

To induce vomiting, forcing the puppy to swallow one of the following solutions:

  • table salt or baking soda - 1 tablespoon per glass of water;
  • 3% hydrogen peroxide solution diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1;
  • a slightly pink solution of potassium permanganate.

All solutions must be warm.

When exposed to harmful gases, remove the dog to fresh air. If the puppy has been poisoned with carbon monoxide, then mucously wash the mouth and tongue with 2% solution of baking soda.

If the poison acts through the skin (remedies for fleas, oil products), then you should wash the puppy in warm water with baby soap.

Do not induce vomiting in case of poisoning with acids, alkalis, oil products.

Seek qualified medical attention.

Treatment of poisoning in a puppy

While the veterinarian is going, you can perform some procedures yourself.

полисорб Give the puppy adsorbent (a drug that binds the poison in the intestine). It can be:

  • Activated carbon;
  • Polysorb;
  • Enterosgel;
  • Polyphepan.

To sweat enveloping - it will prevent absorption from the intestine into the blood. If intestinal symptoms predominate in poisoning (vomiting, diarrhea, colic), then give mucous broths, egg white (dilute with water in a ratio of 1: 1), liquid starch paste.

If there are neural phenomena (dilated pupil, agitation or oppression, abnormal heart function), a good effect is the use of astringent solutions:

  • 3% tannin solution;
  • decoction of the bark of oak;
  • herbs of sage.

Laxative. Do not give oil laxatives - many poisons are perfectly dissolved in oils. Apply salt preparations:

  • glauberova or Karlovy Vary salt;
  • magnesium sulphate.

If there is a slowing of the heart rate, give Corvalol.

You know for sure that the puppy was poisoned because a bait was eaten during the walk. What to do, how to help before the arrival of a doctor? If in your area there are cases of deliberate poisoning, and in dogs there were vomiting and convulsions, then most likely, this poison is isoniazid. For neutralization, make an intravenous or intramuscular injection of an aqueous solution of vitamin B6. It is sold in any pharmacy, there will be no harm from it. The dose of 5% solution per puppy - 5-10 ml.

It is forbidden to water a puppy with folk remedies: vodka, hawthorn tincture and so on; Milk should be given only in case of poisoning with salts of heavy metals (mercury, lead).

творог After providing veterinary care, the puppy is placed in a warm, dark place. The first day is not fed, but provided with water. For the next 3-7 days (depending on the condition of the dog) observe a diet:

  • low-fat boiled meat;
  • liver;
  • cottage cheese;
  • eggs.

Be attentive to what your pet eats, remove all dangerous substances, use medicines only as directed by a doctor. If you find the symptoms of poisoning in the puppy - as soon as possible, provide first aid and drive to the clinic. If you call a vet on the house, while waiting - give the adsorbent and laxative. If you have managed on your own, consult a doctor anyway, since the effects of certain poisons can have long-lasting effects.

loading...