What to do if a wasp bitten
Wasp activity is observed in the period from July to August. The danger of being stung lurks both in nature and near the house. Wasps are able to penetrate the most unexpected places: bags, bags, houses, car interior, so sometimes the meeting with insects is completely unexpected.
A wasp sting gives trouble to any other person. As a result of the toxic effect of the poison, severe pain and swelling arise, and this requires immediate treatment. Let's talk about the consequences of meeting with this representative of Hymenoptera, and what to do when bitten by a wasp.
Why is a wasp sting dangerous?
At the time of the wasp's bite, poison enters the human body, which includes many biologically active components.
Histamine contributes to an allergic reaction to a wasp sting. This substance is considered to be the cause of edema, itching, urticaria, bronchospasm and anaphylactic shock.
- Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter necessary for the normal transmission of nerve impulses. But in large quantities has an inhibitory effect.
- Phospholipases are enzymes that destroy cell walls consisting of phospholipids - complex fats. As a result, the cellular content enters the surrounding tissues, provoking the development of a local inflammatory reaction. There is an impact on fat cells, which play an important role in the immune system, which leads to the release into the blood of even more histamine.
- Hyaluronidase is an enzyme that promotes the destruction of mucopolysaccharides, including hyaluronic acid. As a result of this effect, the permeability of tissues and capillaries increases.
- Kinins are proteins that have a vasodilating, hypotensive effect. They increase vascular permeability and cause pain.
- Amino acids are the strongest allergens.
All of these components are responsible for the occurrence of severe systemic reactions in people who are prone to allergies. Can I die from a wasp sting? This is quite possible with the development of anaphylactic shock, if assistance is not provided in a timely manner.
Consequences of a wasp sting
The following changes appear at the bite site:
- severe burning pains;
- skin redness;
- swelling of soft tissue.
The effects of a wasp sting depend on where the poison was introduced. The most dangerous situation is when a person suffers. If the wasp stung in the eye, then there is a pronounced swelling of the eyelid and tearing. Sometimes there are a selection of different nature. Subsequently, all eye membranes may become inflamed - panophthalmitis develops. A bite in the lips and mucous membranes of the mouth is often accompanied by difficulty breathing.
The severity of clinical symptoms depends on the number of bites and the individual characteristics of the organism. The sting of a wasp during pregnancy, in childhood, and the tendency to allergies is hardest.
With multiple bites, symptoms of general intoxication appear:
- fever with chills;
- dizziness and headache;
- shortness of breath, tachycardia, pain in the heart;
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain;
- sometimes fainting.
With a tendency to allergies appears urticaria. At the same time there are blisters on the body, sometimes of large size. The rash is accompanied by itchy skin. The threat to life is Quincke edema. Warning symptoms should:
- pronounced swelling of the face, lips, eyelids, hands;
- with swelling of the mucous membrane of the larynx, suffocation, hoarseness, barking cough, noisy breathing;
- the face first turns red and then turns pale;
- coma and death may develop.
The most serious complication is anaphylactic shock, which develops seconds or minutes after the poison has entered the body. At the same time, in addition to the symptoms of allergy, there is a sharp drop in pressure and death is possible.
What to do if a wasp bitten
If help is provided promptly and correctly, then serious consequences can be avoided.
- If a sting is found at the bite site, it must be removed.
- The wound should be disinfected with what is on hand: hydrogen peroxide, iodine, cologne, antiseptic solution, calendula tincture, alcohol, or simply wash it with soap and water.
- Attach a cold to the bite for 20 minutes. You can use ice dipped in cold water cloth. This will help to reduce pain and prevent further spread of edema, as this leads to vasoconstriction.
- If a wasp stings an arm or leg, then a tight bandage can be applied to prevent the spread of poison.
- Be sure to take the drug for allergies: "Suprastin", "Zodak", "Cetrin", "Claritin". Sometimes it requires the use of hormonal agents.
- An ointment containing hormones or antihistamines, for example, Advantan, Hydrocortisone ointment, Fenistil gel, helps the wasp sting.
In order to avoid complications in the form of infection of the wound and the rapid spread of poison through the body it is impossible:
- comb the bite site;
- try to squeeze the poison out of the wound;
- use for cooling water from nearby waters;
- take alcohol.
First aid to a child with a wasp sting is the same as an adult. Pregnant women are not recommended to take hormones and antihistamines themselves, the use of any medications is only after consulting a doctor.
If urticaria, angioedema and anaphylactic shock appear, you should immediately call an ambulance. Be sure to consult a doctor if a wasp stung your face.
The day after the wasp sting, the treatment is continued. All the same antihistamines are prescribed, if necessary, hormonal agents in the form of tablets and ointments until the condition improves and edema passes. It may take from one day to five days, sometimes more.
For urticaria, angioedema, drugs are injected intramuscularly or intravenously in the first days, then they are taken on pills. Anaphylactic shock requires treatment in a hospital.
Folk remedies for wasp sting
Folk remedies for a wasp sting may be especially useful when taking medications is contraindicated in, for example, pregnant women. Such means can be dispensed with if there is no threat to life.
How to remove a tumor if a wasp bitten:
- Apply a cloth moistened with a solution of baking soda or salt to the bite for 20 minutes (1 teaspoon per 200 ml of water);
- help lotion of tea;
- if a plantain grows nearby, then a clean sheet of a plant is applied to the sore spot;
- You can put a piece of sugar on the wound.
It is also useful to know how you can relieve wasp sting.
- Aspen poison can neutralize ordinary aspirin, which also has an anti-inflammatory effect and reduces pain. The pill is taken orally, but you can use acetylsalicylic acid for topical treatment: dissolve in warm water and lubricate the bite site.
- Effective lotion with a weak solution of vinegar or lemon juice.
- On a sore spot, you can put a sliced apple, tomato or onion.
How to avoid a wasp sting
You can prevent the unpleasant consequences of meeting with the wasp. It is especially important to remember these simple rules to those people who have a tendency to allergic reactions.
- When you are going to the nature, it is better to wear clothes of calm colors. Be sure to cover the legs, arms and head. Do not use perfume.
- On the street it is undesirable to eat fruits, berries and sweets.
- If the wasp is nearby - you should not make sudden movements and swing your arms.
- Do not disturb the hives.
The problem of insect bites is very relevant, as it is difficult to find a person who would not have experienced it. Meeting with the wasp is always unpleasant. Therefore, everyone should know how to treat a wasp sting. If you have to go to the woods, go fishing or just have a picnic, do not forget to take allergy medicines and insect bites with you.