Is there a temperature when poisoning
Can there be a temperature in case of poisoning? In what cases does it happen, when it is necessary to start fighting with it, and is it necessary to do it? Such questions are asked by everyone who has experienced fever and fever after food poisoning.
Therefore, let us examine below why the temperature rises when it is poisoned, how long it can stay and what numbers to reach, what measures should be taken in this case.
Causes of temperature increase in case of poisoning
Answering the question of whether there is a temperature in food poisoning, the answer is simple - it happens. Any poisoning is associated with the entry into the body of foreign agents: bacteria or their toxins. Fever is a reaction of the body, aimed at its protection and the destruction of infectious agents. This stops the multiplication of microorganisms, as they slow down the enzymatic processes. High temperature contributes to the production of interferon, antibodies, enhancing the capture of bacteria and their destruction by cells of the immune system.
But high fever itself can be life threatening. This applies mainly to the elderly, burdened with various diseases, and children.
The reason for the increase in body heat are exotoxins located on the surface of bacteria. They are easily destroyed by high temperatures. But there are endotoxins that are released during cell death and reproduction of microorganisms. These chemical compounds are extremely stable at elevated temperatures. Exotoxins and endotoxins cause fever indirectly, contributing to the formation of endogenous pyrogens. This occurs as a result of the interaction of toxins with leukocytes and macrophages - blood cells and connective tissue. At the same time, special substances are released - cytokines, which contribute to the growth of body heat.
What is dangerous high temperature
The severity of the condition depends on how severe the fever is, and how many days the temperature is maintained during poisoning. In this case, all body systems suffer.
- Nervous system: headaches, drowsiness, fatigue, children may have seizures.
- Cardiovascular system: for each degree of increased body heat, the heart rate increases by 10 beats, due to vascular spasm, blood pressure may increase.
- Respiratory system: increase in frequency and decrease in depth of breath is noted.
- Digestive system: appetite worsens, saliva formation decreases, dry mouth appears, spastic and atonic constipation is characteristic.
- Change in metabolism: the predominance of catabolism - the breakdown of fats, proteins and carbohydrates - over the processes of synthesis. Ketone bodies accumulate in the blood.
- Water and electrolyte disorders: first, there is increased diuresis, later there is a decrease in the formation of urine and the accumulation of sodium in the body, which contributes to fluid retention, the chlorine content increases. Subsequently, sodium chloride is actively excreted in the urine and sweat.
- With a strong and prolonged fever, vitamins and provitamins are destroyed, which leads to the development of hypovitaminosis.
What temperature is possible in case of poisoning
Whether there is a temperature in case of poisoning depends on what caused it. So, with botulism and escherichiosis (intestinal infection), it may not rise at all. Normal temperature can be maintained when there is an easy, erased and atypical course of the disease.
In case of poisoning, there can be subfebrile temperature, when the thermometer rises no more than 38 ° C. But more often there is a fever with indicators above 38 °. In most cases, this is a moderate fever within 38–39 °, but the numbers can reach as high as 40 °. The degree of increase of degrees depends on the severity of poisoning.
Speaking about how much the temperature holds in case of poisoning, it should be noted that the duration of the febrile period can be from 1-2 to 5-7 days. In septic form of salmonellosis, fever can last up to 3-4 weeks.
How to deal with high temperature poisoning
The idea of whether it is possible to bring down the temperature in case of poisoning visits all people who find themselves in such a situation. Since the fever helps to cope with the causative agent of infection, it is not necessary to strive in any way to get rid of the high temperature, especially if the numbers do not exceed 38-39 °. The human body is designed so that independently regulates all the processes occurring in it. Taking medications that lower body heat does not eliminate the pathological reactions in the body, but can cause side effects. It is possible to use such means only under strict indications.
To alleviate the condition, the poisoned person should follow simple rules:
- bed rest;
- do not hide warm blanket;
- drink plenty of water;
- rubbing vodka, cool water or a weak solution of vinegar;
- cold compress on the forehead.
If the body temperature exceeds 39 °, then there is a need to take measures to quickly reduce it. This is especially true for patients with severe chronic diseases who may develop dangerous complications.
Consider options for how to bring down the temperature in food poisoning, if necessary:
- Antipyretic drugs: Nimesulide (Nise, Nimesil), Paracetamol, Ibuprofen (Nurofen).
- If the heat alone can not bring down, and the numbers are very high - call an ambulance. The doctor will inject a lytic mixture, including Analgin with Dimedrol, and offer hospitalization in the infectious disease ward.
Summing up, I would like to say that in any situation where poisoning occurs, it is necessary to seek medical help. The doctor will tell you how to behave correctly, whether or not it is worthwhile to bring down the temperature, he will advise the means that is right for you. Do not experiment with your health!