Whether there is a poisoning at a temperature
Can there be temperature in case of poisoning? In what cases does it happen, when it is necessary to begin to struggle with it, and whether it is necessary to do this? Such questions are posed to everyone who has encountered fever and fever after food poisoning.
So let's see below why the temperature rises in poisoning, how long it can hold and what figures to reach, what measures it is necessary to take in this case.
Causes of temperature increase during poisoning
Answering a question about whether there is a temperature in food poisoning, the answer is simple - it happens. Any poisoning is associated with the ingestion of foreign agents: bacteria or their toxins. Fever is a reaction of the body, aimed at its protection and destruction of infectious agents. At the same time, the multiplication of microorganisms stops, because in them the enzymatic processes are slowed down. High temperature promotes the production of interferon, antibodies, increased capture of bacteria and their destruction by cells of the immune system.
But high fever itself can threaten a person's life. This applies mainly to the elderly, burdened with a load of various diseases, and children.
The cause of increased body heat are exotoxins located on the surface of bacteria. They are easily destroyed by high temperatures. But there are endotoxins that are released when the cell is dead and the microorganisms multiply. These chemical compounds are extremely stable at elevated temperatures. Exotoxins and endotoxins cause fever indirectly, promoting the formation of endogenous pyrogens. This occurs as a result of the interaction of toxins with leukocytes and macrophages - the cells of the blood and connective tissue. In this case, special substances are released - cytokines, which contribute to the growth of body heat.
What is dangerous is the high temperature
The severity of the condition depends on how much the fever is expressed, and how many days the poison is kept at a temperature. In this case, all body systems suffer.
- Nervous system: there are headaches, drowsiness, weakness, children can have convulsive seizures.
- Cardiovascular system: for every degree of increased body heat, heart rate increases by 10 strokes, blood pressure may increase due to vascular spasm.
- Respiratory system: Increased frequency and decreased depth of breathing.
- Digestive system: appetite worsens, saliva production decreases, dry mouth appears, spastic and atonic constipations are characteristic.
- Change in metabolism: the predominance of catabolism - the breakdown of fats, proteins and carbohydrates - over the processes of synthesis. Ketone bodies accumulate in the blood.
- Water-electrolyte disorders: first there is an increased diuresis, later there is a decrease in the formation of urine and the accumulation of sodium in the body, which contributes to fluid retention, increases the chlorine content. Subsequently, sodium chloride is actively excreted in the urine and sweat.
- With a strong and prolonged fever, vitamins and provitamins are destroyed, which leads to the development of hypovitaminosis.
What is the temperature for poisoning?
Whether there is a temperature at a poisoning, depends on that became its reason. So, with botulism and escherichiosis (intestinal infection), it may not rise at all. Normal temperature can be maintained with a mild, erased and atypical course of the disease.
When poisoning can be a low-febrile temperature, when the thermometer's column rises no more than 38 ° C. But more often there is a fever with indicators above 38 °. In most cases, this is a moderate fever within 38-39 °, but the numbers can reach 40 °. The degree of increase in degrees directly depends on the severity of the poisoning.
Talking about how much the temperature keeps at poisoning, it should be noted that the duration of the febrile period can be from 1-2 to 5-7 days. With a septic form of salmonellosis, fever can persist for up to 3-4 weeks.
How to deal with poisoning with high temperature
The idea of whether it is possible to knock down the temperature during poisoning, visits all people who find themselves in such a situation. Because fever helps to cope with the causative agent of infection, there is no need to strive to get rid of heat in any way, especially if the numbers do not exceed 38-39 °. The human body is designed in such a way that it independently regulates all processes occurring in it. Taking medications that lower body heat does not eliminate pathological reactions in the body, but can cause side effects. Use these tools can only be on strict indications.
To facilitate the condition, the poisoned must follow simple rules:
- bed rest;
- Do not cover yourself with a warm blanket;
- abundant drinking;
- wiping with vodka, cool water or a weak solution of vinegar;
- cold compress on the forehead.
If the body temperature exceeds 39 °, then there is a need to take measures to quickly reduce it. This is especially true for patients with severe chronic diseases, which can develop dangerous complications.
Consider options for how to bring down the temperature when food poisoning if necessary:
- The intake of antipyretic drugs: Nimesulide (Naise, Nimesil), Paracetamol, Ibuprofen (Nurofen).
- If the heat itself can not be knocked down, and the numbers are very high - we call an ambulance. The doctor will introduce a lytic mixture that includes Analgin and Dimedrol, and will offer hospitalization to the infectious department.
Summing up, I want to say that in any situation when poisoning happens, you need to seek medical help. The doctor will tell you how to behave correctly, whether or not to knock down the temperature, will advise the remedy that is right for you. Do not experiment with your health!