Sodium fluoride in toothpaste is good and bad
Not only calcium is able to improve the structure of bone tissue and strengthen teeth. Few people know that a significant role in this belongs to fluoride. Fluoride itself is just a gas that can cause poisoning.
But its connection with sodium, on the contrary, is widely used in medicine and industry for the production of useful and indispensable products. But is sodium fluoride so safe? Is fluoride harmful in toothpaste? How much of this substance can go inside normally in a day without harming one's health?
What is the use of sodium fluoride?
Sodium fluoride, what is it? A small amount of it is in nature, but for human needs this substance is obtained through complex chemical reactions. Fluorine easily forms compounds with many chemical elements, but sodium fluoride (NaF) is better absorbed. Its presence in the body contributes to the formation of fluorapapatites - the most stable compounds with calcium, which are the basis of bone tissue. Therefore, sodium fluoride is contained in the toothpaste - it protects the teeth from the development of caries.
A small amount of fluoride is normally present in water, but its concentration in different regions is different, so it is often necessary to take it additionally.
The role of sodium fluoride in human life:
- stimulates the formation of bone cells - osteoblasts, strengthens the skeleton;
- participates in the formation of tooth enamel;
- in the toothpaste has a bactericidal effect on bacteria, improves blood circulation of the gums;
- in optimal concentrations of sodium fluoride for children is the prevention of caries and periodontal disease (damage to tooth tissues);
- it is used as a detergent;
- sodium fluoride is used in the chemical industry (in metallurgy for cleaning and remelting metals, welding) and for the production of freon.
Is there any harm from fluoride
NaF is an active participant in many chemical reactions in the human body and in the production of chemical compounds. But despite the considerable benefit, it is he who causes the development of serious illnesses.
The optimum content of fluoride in drinking water is 0.7-1 mg / l. The lack of it leads to the development of diseases.
Excess fluoride in toothpaste and products is not only good, but also harm.
Its excess promotes the development of fluorosis - it affects the enamel with the appearance of spots on it from red to dark brown, due to which defects of the dental tissue gradually appear.
A large number of fluoride compounds in the body leads to a lag in the development of the nervous system, which especially affects the growing body. The process of ossification and mineralization of bone tissue is also disturbed.
A large amount of this substance in the environment can lead to intoxication of the body.
What is harmful for fluoride? Its deficiency as well as excess leads to a disruption in the development of bone tissue, deterioration of the teeth.
How fluoride helps the teeth
The content of fluoride in the toothpaste should not exceed 0.05%. This is the recommended concentration of the substance for children living in areas with a low content of this trace element in food and water. In this amount, sodium fluoride prevents the development of caries. The problem is that often people do not know about the chemical composition of tap water and whether there is a lack of fluoride in their body. Therefore, the use of such toothpaste is not always justified and often leads to the opposite effect:
- the development of fluorosis due to excess micronutrients in the body;
- the appearance of allergic reactions;
- disturbance of the heart;
- increase in blood pressure.
The lack of this substance in the dental tissue can be replenished by another method - fluorination. This is the procedure for saturation of enamel with fluoride ions. Is tooth fluoridation harmful? No, the procedure is safe and does not harm the person. Several sessions contribute to the accumulation of substance in the enamel and permanently protects against pathological effects of bacteria. But in the case of an excess of fluoride in the body, the procedure will worsen the condition of the teeth.
Normally, the amount of fluoride that should be ingested with food in the human body is from 0.5 to 5 mg per day. A sharp increase to 5-10 g is already a toxic dose for an adult with a weight of at least 70 kg. At a lower concentration, the substance poisons all systems. Its amount in tissues can increase in the case of:
- if fluorine is abundant in the environment (human work is related to the chemical industry);
- with a large intake of food;
- Excess fluoride in the teeth happens when its content is sufficient in water and fluorinated paste is used (optimal content of NaF recommended for children under 12 years is 0.05%);
- with the appointment of sodium fluoride for the treatment of bone disease.
In dental practice, tablets with sodium fluoride are often used. When are they needed? The medicine is prescribed in the following situations:
- for prevention of caries development in childhood;
- for the treatment of all types of osteoporosis (thinning of bone tissue).
The course of treatment is several months. Children are prescribed from one pill per day and more.
Products containing fluorine
What is fluoride in which products?
- In the first place in terms of substance content are seafood: herring, mackerel, cod, shrimp, sea kale and caviar.
- Freshwater fish are also rich in this trace element (eel).
- There is it in green and black tea.
- Onions, apples, spinach, grapefruit.
- Liver, milk, eggs, veal, chicken.
- Bread from a flour of a rough grinding, rice, oat groats.
Correct balanced nutrition with inclusion in the diet containing a sufficient amount of this microelement products - is the prevention of caries and osteoporosis.
Symptoms of fluoride poisoning
Depending on the pathway of this substance and its quantity in the body, changes may occur. Developed violations in the cardiovascular and nervous system, there are typical symptoms of poisoning.
What can lead to excess fluoride in the body?
- There are pains in the area of the stomach due to irritation of the mucous membrane. Often with prolonged exposure, ulcers appear.
- Cramps develop.
- In rare cases, there is lacrimation and salivation with regular intake of the substance.
- Symptoms of excess fluoride in the body include nausea, rare vomiting and loosening of the stool.
- Bleeding gums.
- Deterioration of the thyroid gland.
- Hair becomes brittle.
- Perhaps, the appearance of allergic rhinitis.
- Osiplost or complete loss of voice.
In the case of fluoride in the body in large quantities develop symptoms of poisoning.
- There is severe weakness, fatigue, nausea, decreased appetite, severe pain in the abdomen along the bowels.
- Maybe, soreness in the muscles and joints.
- Symptoms of fluoride poisoning include impaired vision, trembling of hands, convulsions.
- Increased body temperature.
- Differences in blood pressure, violation of the rhythm of the heart, the development of heart failure.
- By inhaling fluoride while working with this substance, pneumonia, pulmonary edema and respiratory arrest may develop.
- Violation of the central nervous system and kidneys.
- In severe cases, fluoride poisoning leads to death.
Such conditions develop with prolonged intake of fluoride and its compounds into the human body. Or during contact with harmful chemical compounds, which include fluoride.
How to remove fluoride from the body
At the first signs of an excess of this trace element, it is necessary to limit its intake with food. An important stage in the treatment of chronic intoxication is the determination of the content of fluoride compounds in the body and in tap water. When there are signs of fluorosis in children, change the toothpaste.
How else can fluoride be removed from the body? It is well associated with calcium preparations (gluconate and lactate), which are prescribed by health workers under the control of blood tests.
Poisoning should be treated only in a hospital under the supervision of doctors.
The value of this microelement is underestimated, because the development of the nervous and bony systems in a child depends on the content of fluoride. Hikes to the dentist can be drastically reduced if the intake of this substance is balanced from the moment of birth.