Intoxication after sore throat
Inflammation of the tonsils, mostly of the palatines, is called tonsillitis. An acute form of the disease is usually called angina. The process is of an infectious nature. The main causative agents are cocci: streptococci and staphylococci. Less commonly, other bacteria, viruses and fungi are the cause of the disease.
Typical manifestations of the disease immediately make you think that it is a sore throat. It is characterized by pain in the throat, and on the tonsils, white deposits are formed. But this clinic is not limited. Intoxication is accompanied by an angina, strong enough.
Signs of intoxication with angina
With angina, intoxication of the body is manifested by the following symptoms.
- Fever. It lasts no more than a week. Accompanied by chills.
- Pain syndrome: pain in the muscles, in the lumbar region, headaches.
- Weakness, fatigue.
- Appetite is reduced or absent altogether.
- Sleep disturbance.
- Children can vomit, signs of inflammation of the meninges.
- Increase of regional lymph nodes (in the submaxillary region).
- Discomfort in the heart, pain, marked tachycardia. Frequent pulse is noted at high temperature, but can be the result of toxic effects on the heart (in the absence of fever). Changes can be detected on the ECG.
- Rarely, but it happens that the liver and spleen are enlarged.
- Perhaps the appearance of red blood cells in the urine.
Why develop intoxication with angina
The most dangerous causative agent of the infectious process in the lymphoid tissue of the pharynx (in the tonsils) is the B-hemolytic streptococcus of group A. Its active reproduction causes inflammatory changes in the tonsils. At the same time, dangerous toxins are released: streptolysins -O and -S, streptococcal proteinase, deoxyribonuclease B, streptococcal mucopeptides. Further, bacteria and toxins spread through the lymphatic system into surrounding tissues and lymph nodes, causing changes in these structures. Getting into the bloodstream, toxins spread throughout the body. As a result, there is a general intoxication with angina, which is manifested by the previously described symptoms. In this case, the heart and the vascular system may suffer significantly, since streptolysin-O differs in the ability to damage the cardiac muscle. It may be a malfunction of the nervous system and digestive organs.
Kidneys can be affected, the basal membranes of the glomeruli of which are also susceptible to the negative effects of the products of the vital activity of streptococcus. Toxins are not only themselves capable of causing intoxication in tonsillitis, but also contribute to the formation of immune complexes that circulate through blood vessels, precipitate in the kidney glomeruli, damage their wall and disrupt the blood flow. These complexes contribute to the development of thrombosis and impaired blood circulation in the kidneys.
Some symptoms of intoxication appear in the early days of the disease. But the most severe complications develop when a person considers himself absolutely healthy. More often such complications are observed in people who have encountered angina not for the first time. It is able to cause severe intoxication of tonsillitis, which has a chronic course with frequent exacerbations. Not the least role is played by the features of genetics.
Early complications of sore throat
In the first week of the disease, perhaps the appearance of:
- paratonzillita (involvement in the inflammatory process of tissues around the tonsils);
- otitis (inflammation of the ear);
- sinusitis (inflammatory process in the paranasal sinuses);
- endocarditis (infectious inflammation of the heart valves);
- zaglugochnogo abscess (purulent melting of lymph nodes and pharynx of the pharyngeal space);
- edema of the larynx;
- phlegmon neck (diffuse inflammation of the subcutaneous tissue);
- sepsis (generalized infection);
- meningitis (inflammation of the meninges);
- infectious-toxic shock.
Most often, such complications occur in children, weakened patients, with a decrease in immune defense of the body.
Late complications with angina
Intoxication after angina may result in the development of serious diseases:
- Acute rheumatic fever. It manifests itself in two, sometimes three weeks after recovery. Characteristic defeat of the heart, joints, the presence of skin changes, increased body temperature. When the valvular apparatus of the heart is affected, its defects develop.
- Acute glomerulonephritis can manifest itself after eight, and even ten days from the onset of the disease. The first changes are observed in the study of a general urine test, where a lot of leukocytes, red blood cells are found, there is a protein and cylinders.
In chronic tonsillitis, poisoning with streptococcus toxins, which is constantly in the tonsils, in the mouth and nose (including in carious teeth, paranasal sinuses) can lead to the development of: myocardial dystrophy, cardiosclerosis, heart defects on the background of endocarditis. There may be inflammatory changes in the vessels and thromboembolic complications.
Treatment of sore throats
In the usual course of angina, hospitalization is not required. But it is necessary to consult a doctor who will diagnose, give basic recommendations for treatment and explain how to remove intoxication with angina.
Treatment activities include:
- Mode - bed.
- Antibiotic therapy: drugs from the penicillin group, macrolides or cephalosporins.
- Abundant drink: alkaline mineral water, juices, decoctions of herbs.
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs help to cope with fever, reduce pain syndrome. To do this, you can: Paracetamol, Nimesulide, Ibuprofen.
- Local treatment: rinse with infusion of chamomile, calendula, chlorhexidine, solution of furacilin, hydrogen peroxide 3% (1 teaspoon per half glass of water). You can use aerosols and sprays: Hexoral, Hexaspree, Stopangin and others.
- Antihistamines can relieve the condition (Suprastin, Zodak, Cetrin, etc.).
If the condition worsens against the background of treatment, the fever persists, the pain in the throat becomes more intense, there is severe tenderness in the neck, lymph nodes increase, salivation starts and it becomes hard to open the mouth, weakness grows, the pain behind the sternum or in the precardial region, arrhythmias, pain, blood pressure drops - urgent hospitalization is necessary.
In a hospital, infusion therapy, intravenous or intramuscular administration of antibiotics is performed. If necessary, surgical treatment is performed (opening an abscess). If necessary, the whole complex of resuscitation measures.
Prevention of intoxication after angina
To prevent the development of intoxication after angina, it is necessary:
- getting rid of chronic infectious foci (carious teeth, sinusitis, pharyngitis, chronic tonsillitis);
- observation at the doctor for three months after clinical recovery, with mandatory ECG monitoring, blood and urine analysis;
- high-grade food;
- with frequent tonsillitis, possibly the removal of tonsils;
- increase of general and local immunity: Imudon, Tonzilgon, Immunal;
- Physiotherapeutic procedures using the Tonsillor apparatus;
- bicillin prophylaxis - the introduction of a long-acting antibiotic penicillin series for the prevention of angina.
Do not consider angina a harmless disease. The treatment should be approached thoroughly and correctly, in order to avoid serious complications in the future.