Intoxication after angina
Inflammation of the tonsils, mainly palatine, called tonsillitis. The acute form of the disease is called angina. The process has an infectious nature. The main pathogens are cocci: streptococci and staphylococci. Less commonly, other bacteria, viruses, and fungi cause the disease.
Typical manifestations of the disease immediately make you think that it is a sore throat. It is characterized by sore throat, and white deposits are formed on the tonsils. But this clinic is not limited. Accompanied by a sore throat intoxication, quite strong.
Signs of intoxication with angina
In angina, intoxication of the body is manifested by the following symptoms.
- Fever. It lasts no more than a week. Accompanied by chills.
- Pain syndrome: muscle pain, in the lumbar region, headaches.
- Weakness, fatigue.
- Appetite is reduced or absent altogether.
- Sleep disturbance.
- In children, vomiting, signs of inflammation of the meninges is possible.
- Increased regional lymph nodes (in the submandibular region).
- Discomfort in the heart, pain, severe tachycardia. Frequent pulse is observed at high temperature, but may be the result of a toxic effect on the heart (in the absence of fever). Changes on an ECG can come to light.
- Rarely, but it happens that the liver and spleen grow.
- Perhaps the appearance of red blood cells in the urine.
Why develop intoxication with angina
The B-hemolytic streptococcus of group A is considered the most dangerous causative agent of the infectious process in the lymphoid tissue of the pharynx (in the tonsils). Its active reproduction causes inflammatory changes in the tonsils. At the same time, dangerous toxins are released: streptolysins -O and -S, streptococcal proteinase, deoxyribonuclease B, streptococcal mucopeptides. Further, bacteria and toxins spread through the lymphatic system to the surrounding tissues and lymph nodes, causing changes in these structures. Once in the bloodstream, toxins spread throughout the body. As a result, there is a general intoxication with angina, which is manifested by the previously described symptoms. At the same time, the heart and the vascular system can be significantly affected, since streptolysin -O is characterized by its ability to damage the heart muscle. Perhaps a violation of the nervous system and digestive organs.
The kidneys may suffer, the basement membranes of the glomeruli of which are also subject to the negative effects of streptococcus waste products. Toxins are not only capable of causing intoxication with tonsillitis, but also contribute to the formation of immune complexes that circulate through blood vessels, are deposited in the renal glomeruli, damage their wall and disrupt the blood flow. These complexes contribute to the development of thrombosis and impaired blood circulation in the kidneys.
Some symptoms of intoxication appear in the first days of the disease. But the most serious complications develop when a person considers himself completely healthy. More often, such complications are observed in people who have experienced a sore throat not for the first time. Able to cause severe intoxication tonsillitis, having a chronic course with frequent exacerbations. Not the last role is played by features of genetics.
Early complications of angina
In the first week of the disease, perhaps the appearance of:
- peritonsillitis (involvement of the tissues around the tonsils in the inflammatory process);
- otitis (ear inflammation);
- sinusitis (inflammatory process in the paranasal sinuses);
- endocarditis (infectious inflammation of the valves of the heart);
- the pharyngeal abscess (purulent fusion of the lymph nodes and tissue of the pharyngeal space);
- laryngeal edema;
- phlegmon of the neck (diffuse inflammation of the subcutaneous tissue);
- sepsis (generalized infection);
- meningitis (inflammation of the meninges);
- infectious toxic shock.
Most often, such complications occur in children, debilitated patients, while reducing the body's immune defense.
Late complications of sore throat
Intoxication after angina can result in the development of serious diseases:
- Acute rheumatic fever. Manifested in two, sometimes three weeks after recovery. Characterized by damage to the heart, joints, the presence of skin changes, fever. With the defeat of the valvular apparatus of the heart - develop its defects.
- Acute glomerulonephritis can occur after eight or even ten days from the onset of the disease. The first changes are observed in the study of the general analysis of urine, where many leukocytes, erythrocytes are found, protein and cylinders appear.
In chronic tonsillitis, toxin poisoning of streptococcus, which is constantly located in the tonsils, in the mouth and nose (including carious teeth, paranasal sinuses) can lead to the development of: myocardial dystrophy, cardiosclerosis, and heart disease on the background of endocarditis. Inflammatory changes in the vessels and thromboembolic complications may appear.
Treatment of angina
With the usual course of angina, hospitalization is not required. But consultation of the doctor who will make the diagnosis, will give the main recommendations about treatment and will explain how to remove intoxication at quinsy is necessary.
Therapeutic activities include:
- Mode - bed.
- Antibacterial therapy: drugs from the penicillin group, macrolides or cephalosporins.
- Plentiful drink: alkaline mineral water, juices, decoctions of herbs.
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs help to cope with fever, reduce pain. For this fit: Paracetamol, Nimesulide, Ibuprofen.
- Local treatment: gargle with chamomile, calendula extract, Chlorhexidine, furatsilina solution, hydrogen peroxide 3% (1 teaspoon for half a glass of water). You can use aerosols and sprays: Hexoral, Hexasprey, Stopangin and others.
- Antihistamines can alleviate the condition (Suprastin, Zodak, Cetrin, etc.).
If the condition worsens during treatment: fever persists, sore throat becomes more intense, severe pain appears in the neck, lymph nodes are enlarged, salivation appears and it becomes difficult to open the mouth, weakness increases, pain in the chest or precardia is disturbed, arrhythmias, strong headaches pain, blood pressure falls - urgent hospitalization is necessary.
In a hospital environment, infusion therapy, intravenous or intramuscular administration of antibiotics are carried out. If necessary, surgical treatment is performed (opening of an abscess). If necessary, the whole complex of resuscitation measures.
Prevention of intoxication after angina
To prevent the development of intoxication after angina, you must:
- getting rid of chronic infectious foci (carious teeth, sinusitis, pharyngitis, chronic tonsillitis);
- observation by a doctor for three months after clinical recovery, with mandatory ECG monitoring, blood and urine tests;
- good nutrition;
- with frequent sore throats, possibly removing the tonsils;
- increased general and local immunity: Imudon, Tonsilgon, Immunal;
- physiotherapy using the Tonsillor apparatus;
- Bitsillin prophylaxis - the introduction of a long-acting penicillin antibiotic for the prevention of angina.
Do not consider a sore throat a harmless disease. Treatment must be approached thoroughly and competently in order to avoid serious complications in the future.