What doctor to contact if poisoning
The eternal question - which specialist should contact with a particular health problem. The choice of health workers in local health institutions is not always happy - then there are not enough specialists, it is impossible to enroll in them.
However, in the event of an acute illness, the decision must be taken immediately. After all, often the price of the question is human life. Therefore, today we find out which doctor to address in case of poisoning. And in what situations can be treated at home.
Poisoning are different
Poisoning is understood to mean a sharp deterioration in well-being due to the use of potent toxic substances or poor quality food. The most frequent symptoms accompanying such a painful process include:
- nausea, vomiting;
- weakness, dizziness, general malaise;
- abdominal pain, diarrhea.
Such states develop when using contaminated with bacteria products, poisoning with compounds of heavy metals, chemicals used in household and household. In all these cases we are talking about poisoning. But few people know that these symptoms develop with the exacerbation of certain diseases or with the appearance of new ones.
Cholecystopancreatitis is an inflammatory process in the gallbladder or pancreas.
- Acute gastritis (inflammation of the gastric mucosa) or duodenal ulcer.
- With the development of rotavirus infection.
- Toxicosis, developing with damage to the liver, thyroid gland, kidneys.
In this case, the deterioration of health is not associated with poisoning, and the symptoms develop due to errors in the diet, after contact with a sick person or during a seasonal exacerbation.
What doctor to contact with poisoning and how to determine the disease?
What doctor treats poisoning
Most often, the first doctor who consults in such situations is the therapist. He is either summoned to the house, or treated at the time of admission. The main task of the therapist is to determine what kind of disease this person has in order to promptly refer him to the necessary research or to a more specialized specialist.
Help the therapist in time collected history and careful examination of a sick person.
- High fever, nausea, repeated vomiting, impaired stool, weakness and the presence of spoiled food in the house, eaten the day before, most likely indicates an infection. What doctor treats food poisoning? Need to send a person to the infectious diseases. Severe course of the disease is an indication for emergency hospitalization in an infectious diseases hospital. The development of severe rotavirus infection also belongs to this category of diseases. With such a process, a person is subject to hospitalization.
- Exacerbations of chronic diseases of the digestive system (pancreatitis, gastritis, or peptic ulcer) are observed and treated by a general practitioner or a gastroenterologist. To determine the presence of these particular human diseases, it is necessary to refer to a biochemical blood test, FGDS, an ultrasound of the abdominal organs. Such studies will help determine the final diagnosis and determine the severity of the disease. In case of multiple ulcers of the stomach or small intestine, severe pain syndrome or the development of human complications, they are referred for treatment to the hospital.
- What other doctor treats poisoning? It all depends on the disease. If chemicals were accidentally consumed, the person inhaled the poison gas, toxic chemicals got into the skin in large quantities — such people are immediately taken to the intensive care unit of the hospital on duty. These types of poisoning involved toxicologists and resuscitation. Only these experts help to cope with the severe complications that have developed as a result of such situations. To which doctor to contact with mercury poisoning or, for example, after a dog bite? This is also the competence of resuscitation.
But in any situation, in many cases, the first doctor who examines the victims is the therapist. With a mild course of infectious diseases and the refusal of a person to be hospitalized, this specialist will observe the patient: prescribe treatment, issue a sick-list if necessary, and send it for research.
When it is necessary to immediately call an ambulance
What doctor to contact with toxicosis? This is the result of the influence not only of external factors on human health (infection), but also internal disturbances in the work of important organs - thyrotoxicosis, toxicosis of pregnant women, adrenal insufficiency, liver damage. In this case, the person is hospitalized. The branch to which the sick person is sent depends on the disease. Most often, by ambulance, he is taken to the intensive care unit, and during the period of subsidence of the active process, he is sent to narrow-profile departments - gynecology, endocrinology, nephrology.
For any acute severe infectious processes and poisoning with potent substances, a person is sent by ambulance to the hospital. No need to spend time referring to the clinic therapist.
So, if you are poisoned, then which doctor should you go to? Bacterial and viral poisoning involved infectious diseases. With chemical poisonings, resuscitation specialists work in a hospital. The easy course of any process can be carried out by the local therapist at home. How to determine the right doctor? In an emergency there is no time for deliberation and long reasoning. The first thing an injured person should do is call an ambulance team or contact the on-duty general practitioner at the nearest clinic. All the rest is the work of specialists.