What to do with vomiting in a child
Vomiting is a very unpleasant symptom, especially if children suffer from it. This happens often for various reasons. Babies are especially hard to tolerate the loss of fluid that is lost with vomit.
Given the severe consequences of dehydration, the question of how to stop child vomiting at home becomes urgent. If the assistance is provided in a timely and competent manner, then you can do without a hospital bed. Consider in detail what to do in this situation.
What is vomiting
First you need to decide what types of vomiting are and how dangerous it is for health. Depending on the cause, the nature and color of the vomit may vary.
Vomiting with mucus
- Such vomiting in infants is a variant of the norm. This is due to the fact that mucus from the nasopharynx and bronchi can get into vomit. And the reflex itself is caused by overeating.
- The cause may be acute inflammation of the gastric mucosa as a result of the use of irritants, painkillers and antipyretic drugs.
- So, exacerbation of chronic gastritis is manifested when there are errors in nutrition.
- Vomiting of mucus in a child may occur during a viral infection: flu or rotavirus infection.
- The cause may be diseases of the central nervous system.
- Often this is a sign of food poisoning.
Occurs often. Impurity of bile contributes to the appearance of green vomiting in a child. Although the color may be yellow or yellow-green.
The reasons may be the following:
- food poisoning;
- binge eating;
- taking fatty, fried or spicy foods.
This is a dangerous condition that requires immediate hospitalization. The appearance of vomiting with blood in a child indicates bleeding from the upper digestive tract. If the blood is scarlet, then the site of bleeding is located in the mouth, throat, esophagus and in the upper sections of the stomach. The color of “coffee grounds” indicates a lesion of the stomach or duodenum. This is due to the effects of hydrochloric acid on the blood.
Bloody vomiting is observed in the following pathologies:
- peptic ulcer or erosive lesions of the stomach and duodenum;
- when foreign bodies enter the digestive system;
- during poisoning with poisonous mushrooms or burning poisons;
- in infants, this may occur if the mother’s blood comes from nipple cracks.
What to do when child vomits
Once in this situation, you need to decide when to seek medical help. The surest thing is to always consult a doctor, especially if the seizures recur many times. If bloody vomiting occurs, you should immediately call an ambulance!
While waiting for the pediatrician, you should not delay the first-aid treatment when vomiting occurs in a child.
- For a start, it is worth settling down and creating comfortable conditions for the child. The mode should be bed. It is better to lie on the side in order to avoid vomiting in the respiratory tract. There should be a basin nearby. Grudnichkov can be held vertically.
- Ensure the intake of a sufficient amount of liquid in the child's body. This is necessary to prevent dehydration. Babies can be given a drink from a pipette or a teaspoon. Older children should drink in small sips. The procedure is repeated every five minutes. The best is to take a solution of Regidron or other similar drugs. This will help avoid the loss of not only water, but also essential trace elements. Alkaline mineral water can be used.
- If there is blood in the vomit, then call an ambulance, but while she has not yet arrived on the child's stomach, put a bubble with ice or let them swallow a piece of ice. This will contribute to the narrowing of blood vessels and stop bleeding. In this case, do not give a drink.
- After the next attack, you need to wash your face and rinse your mouth, as sour gastric contents and bile can cause local irritation.
- When the child breaks up, it is impossible to use medicines before being examined by the doctor.
- Food temporarily not to give.
Drug treatment is prescribed by a pediatrician after determining the cause of vomiting.
- Antiemetic drugs are safe for children - Metoclopramide (Reglan) and Domperidone (Motilium, Motilak).
- When identifying the cause of vomiting, it often becomes necessary to prescribe antimicrobial or antiviral agents.
- Sorbents can be used - Polysorb MP, Enterosgel, activated carbon. Also, when vomiting in a child, Smecta can be used. This drug acts locally: it envelops the intestinal mucosa, preventing the toxins and microbes from being absorbed into the bloodstream, inhibits the digestive tract peristalsis, reducing the urge to vomit.
- If abdominal pains are concerned, antispasmodics and antisecretory drugs can be used.
Methods of traditional medicine
As with the treatment of most diseases, traditional medicine offers many recommendations for what to do at home if a child has vomiting.
- Well helps from nausea and vomiting dill water. This will require a teaspoon of fruit and a glass of hot water (boiling water). Cook in a water bath. Give a teaspoon. You can give at any age, even babies. If you feel better and stop vomiting, you can increase the dose.
- You can use green tea. To improve the taste, add sugar or honey.
- Quince is a tasty and effective remedy for vomiting. It needs to be baked or just rubbed. After that, you can slowly eat.
- If a child has vomiting of bile, then you can take peppermint leaves in the amount of two tablespoons and pour a glass of boiling water. Insist 2 hours and take a tablespoon up to 5 times a day. This plant has a choleretic and antispasmodic effect.
- At home you can prepare a solution replacing Regidron. For this you need to add half a teaspoon of salt and the same amount of soda per liter of boiled water. After that, add 4 tablespoons of sugar and take, after mixing the solution.
What to do when vomiting is stopped
After vomiting has stopped, it is worthwhile to follow certain rules for a while.
Need a sparing food. Do not eat fatty, salty, fried, spicy and smoked food. It is necessary to exclude fresh vegetables and fruits. This is necessary in order not to stimulate the already irritated mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines.
You need to start with mucous soups and chicken broth. You can drink jelly and herbal tea. Expand your diet gradually. It is better to eat a little, but more often.
It is necessary to continue to replenish the loss of fluid and salt. This can also be useful for Regidron. If in the first ten hours it is required to have liquids up to 60 ml per 1 kg of the child’s weight, then 10 ml per kilogram of body weight will suffice. Continue to receive up to four days. You can drink herbal teas, dogrose infusion, plain water.
Thus, given the seriousness of the problem, each parent is obliged to know what to give the child with vomiting. In an emergency, always stay calm. If everything is done correctly, recovery will come quickly and without consequences.