What to do if the baby is vomiting
Vomiting is a very unpleasant symptom, especially if children suffer from this. It happens, this often for various reasons. Toddlers are particularly hard at tolerating fluid loss, which is lost with vomit.
Considering the severe consequences of dehydration, the question of how to stop vomiting in a child at home is becoming topical. If assistance is timely and competent, then you can do without a hospital bed. Let us consider in detail what to do in such a situation.
What is vomiting?
To begin with, you should determine what kinds of vomiting happen and how dangerous it is for health. Depending on the cause, the nature and color of the vomit may differ.
Vomiting with an admixture of mucus
- Such vomiting in infants is a variant of the norm. This is due to the fact that mucus from the nasopharynx and bronchi can get into the vomit. And the reflex itself is caused by overeating.
- The cause may be acute inflammation of the gastric mucosa as a result of the use of irritants, analgesics and antipyretic drugs.
- Thus, exacerbation of chronic gastritis occurs with an error in nutrition.
- Vomiting of mucus in a child can occur with a viral infection: influenza or rotavirus infection.
- The cause may be diseases of the central nervous system.
- Often this is a sign of food poisoning.
Vomiting of bile
It occurs often. The addition of bile promotes the appearance of green vomiting in the child. Although the color can be yellow or yellow-green.
The reasons can be the following:
- food poisoning;
- binge eating;
- reception of fatty, fried or spicy food.
This is a dangerous condition requiring immediate hospitalization. The occurrence of vomiting with blood in the child indicates bleeding from the upper parts of the digestive tract. If the blood is scarlet, the place of bleeding is located in the mouth, throat, esophagus and in the upper parts of the stomach. The color of "coffee grounds" indicates the defeat of the stomach or duodenum. This is due to the effect on the blood of hydrochloric acid.
Blood vomiting is observed with the following pathologies:
- peptic ulcer or with erosive lesions of the stomach and duodenum;
- when foreign bodies get into the digestive system;
- during poisoning with poisonous fungi or cauterizing poisons;
- in infants, this can occur when the mother's blood comes from the nipple cracks.
What to do if you have vomiting in a child
Once in this situation, you need to decide when to seek medical help. The best thing is always to see a doctor, especially if the seizures are repeated many times. When bloody vomiting occurs, immediately call an ambulance!
Waiting for the pediatrician should not be delayed with the first aid when there is vomiting in the child.
- To begin with it is necessary to calm down and create comfortable conditions for the child. The regime should be bed rest. Lie better on your side to avoid getting vomit in the respiratory tract. There should be a basin nearby. Breasts can be kept upright.
- Ensure that the child receives enough fluids. It is necessary to prevent dehydration. Babies can be given a drink from a pipette or a teaspoon. Older children should drink in small sips. The procedure is repeated every five minutes. Optimal reception of a solution of Regidron or other similar preparations is optimal. This will help to avoid losing not only water, but also important microelements. You can use alkaline mineral water.
- If there are blood in the vomit, then call an ambulance, and while she has not yet arrived at the baby's stomach, put an ice pack or give a piece of ice. This will help narrow the blood vessels and stop bleeding. In this case, do not give a drink.
- After another attack, you need to wash your face and rinse your mouth, because sour stomach contents and bile can cause local irritation.
- When a child breaks, you can not use medicines before your doctor examines it.
- Food is not allowed temporarily.
Medical treatment is prescribed by a pediatrician after the cause of vomiting is established.
- Antiemetic drugs safe for children - Metoclopramide (Cerucal) and Domperidone (Motilium, Motilac) are used.
- When identifying the cause of vomiting, it often becomes necessary to prescribe antimicrobial or antiviral agents.
- Sorbents can be used - Polysorb MP, Enterosgel, activated carbon. Also, when you vomit, Smecta can be used in a child. This drug acts locally: it envelops the intestinal mucosa, preventing it from being absorbed into the bloodstream by toxins and microbes, inhibits the peristalsis of the digestive tract, reducing the urge to vomit.
- If pain in the abdomen is concerned, antispasmodics and antisecretory drugs can be used.
Methods of Traditional Medicine
As in the treatment of most diseases, folk medicine offers many recommendations on what to do at home if the baby has vomiting.
- Dill water helps well from nausea and vomiting. To do this, you need a teaspoon of fruit and a glass of hot water (boiling water). Cooking in a water bath. To give on a teaspoon. You can give at any age, even infants. If you feel better and stop vomiting, you can increase the dose.
- You can use green tea. To improve the taste, add sugar or honey.
- Aiva is a tasty and effective remedy for vomiting. It should be baked or simply rubbed. After that, you can quietly eat.
- If a child has vomiting bile, then you can take peppermint leaves in the amount of two tablespoons and pour a glass of boiling water. Insist 2 hours and take a tablespoon up to 5 times a day. This plant has cholagogue and antispasmodic effect.
- At home, you can prepare a solution that replaces Regidron. To do this, you need to add half a teaspoon of salt and the same amount of soda to a liter of boiled water. After that, pour 4 tablespoons of sugar and take, pre-mixing the solution.
What to do when the vomiting stopped
After the vomiting has stopped, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules for some time.
It is necessary to eat sparing food. Do not eat fatty, salty, fried, spicy and smoked food. It is necessary to exclude fresh vegetables and fruits. This is necessary in order not to stimulate the already irritated mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines.
You need to start with mucous soups and chicken broth. You can drink jelly and herbal tea. Expand the diet gradually. It is better to eat a little, but more often.
It is necessary to continue to replenish the loss of fluid and salts. For this, also can be useful Regiodron. If in the first ten hours a liquid is required to 60 ml per 1 kg of the child's weight, then 10 ml per kilogram of body weight will be sufficient. Continue to receive up to four days. You can drink broths of herbs, briar infusion, plain water.
Thus, given the seriousness of the problem, every parent must know what to give the child when vomiting. In all emergency situations, always remain calm. If everything is done correctly, then recovery will come quickly and without consequences.