How to put an enema at home
An enema is a medical procedure that is accompanied by the introduction of water, herbal and oily solutions into the intestines with a purifying and healing purpose. But it can be carried out not only in specialized hospitals, so everyone will be useful to know how to properly make an enema at home.
In what cases will such skills be useful?
- They will be needed for poisoning to provide emergency care for themselves and their loved ones before the ambulance arrives.
- When emptying the intestine in the case of spastic and atonic constipation.
- When treating a home inflammatory diseases of the distal intestine.
What are the types of enemas
They differ in terms of the intended use, the technique of execution and the characteristics of the inventory. Depending on the factors, these procedures are divided into several types.
With the help of a cleansing enema from the straight, sigmoid and ascending colon, a large amount of water under a pressure is washed away by the stool masses.
For the procedure, Esmarch's mug is necessary. It consists of a rubber reservoir with a tube and a tip equipped with a locking mechanism. The action occurs within 30 minutes after the introduction of the liquid.
Hypertensive enema is used for constipation associated with rectal pathology.
For the enema, a rubber pear with a plastic tip is used. With its help, a hypertonic solution of salt or magnesia is injected into the intestinal lumen, which increases the osmotic pressure. This promotes the dilution of fecal formations and stimulates peristalsis of the intestinal wall, which improves emptying. The effect appears swiftly within 7 minutes after the administration of the solution.
Used to clean the distal parts of the colon with warm oil solutions. As a result, stool stones are covered with oily substance and become elastic. A warm liquid relieves spasm of the intestine and facilitates defecation.
Oily enema is put on at night, its laxative effect is slow, Purification of the rectal parts of the clock and emptying of the intestine does not occur before 9-11 hours after the introduction of the oil.
Also, the oil enema is used for therapeutic purposes with inflammatory diseases of the rectum.
Indications and contra-indications for setting the enema
Before starting at home to do an enema, you need to know the contraindications and indications for carrying out this procedure.
Indications for enema:
- cleaning activities of the intestinal tract;
- first aid for poisoning and intoxication;
- Relaxing effect with stool retention for more than 3 days;
- Ineffectiveness or contraindications to the treatment of constipation with medication;
- preparation of the body for certain analyzes and surgical interventions;
- treatment of proctitis, sigmoiditis, dysbacteriosis by the introduction of medicinal suspensions, solutions and herbal decoctions.
- chronic inflammation of the intestine in the acute stage (colitis, proctitis, sigmoiditis);
- recurrent hemorrhoids with heavy bleeding;
- intestinal tumors;
- anus fracture;
- condition after strokes and heart attacks;
- high body temperature;
- Menses, pain in the abdomen.
The technique of performing hypertonic and oily enemas
To enter a hypertonic or oily solution, you need to understand how to do an enema at home with a syringe. Before the procedure, the pear is separated from the plastic tip and placed in a container of boiling water for several minutes for disinfection. Then, the newly collected syringe is drained, filled with a suitable liquid, the tip is lubricated with a baby cream or petroleum jelly.
Use mixtures that you can prepare yourself:
- 10% NaCl solution: in 100 ml of water dilute dessert spoon of salt;
- 20% solution of magnesia: in 100 ml of water dilute 20 grams of dry matter.
Lay down on the left side, press the knees to the stomach and carefully insert the nozzle into the anus. Pressing on the pear, move the solution into the lumen of the intestine. After the enema, the accepted position of the body is not changed for a quarter of an hour and the buttocks are compressed to prevent premature pouring of the solution.
After the specified time, the bowel is emptied. This exercise is not recommended for frequent use, since it affects aggressively the walls of the intestine. Hypertensive enema should be prescribed by a doctor. It is performed with chronic constipation and lack of the effect of laxative drugs.
The oil enema for cleaning purposes is put on for the night, thus it is necessary to put under itself an oilcloth, as oil can gradually flow out. As a therapeutic method used after a preliminary cleansing enema.
With her help, you can enter vegetable oil and water-oil suspension in an amount of 60-90 ml. Using a syringe to treat colitis in the lumen of the intestine for half an hour, herbal decoctions of chamomile, calendula, oak bark are injected. They have anti-inflammatory, astringent and regenerative effect.
Cleansing enema execution technique
The procedure for cleaning the bowel from stool or the products of vital activity of pathogenic bacteria can be carried out with the help of an assistant or independently. The first option is most convenient, which will provide comfort and high efficiency of the event.
A solution for the enema is prepared immediately before the procedure. For this, boiled water is heated to 37.5-38 ˚C. You can use the addition of juice of one lemon per liter of liquid.
Before use, the Esmarch mug is recommended to be treated with hot water with antibacterial or household soap. Check the system for leaks, absence of cracks and unevenness of the tip, test the serviceability of the valve.
The couch is lined with oilcloth, the free edge of which is placed in a nearby standing basin or bucket. In a mug poured 1-2 liters of liquid, expelled from the system of air and close the valve. Before the beginning of manipulation it is recommended to drink a few sips of cool water and empty the bladder.
The technique of performing a cleansing enema is accessible and simple:
- the patient lies down on his left side and presses his legs to the chest;
- Vaseline injected with a Vaseline injected 3-4 cm in the direction of the navel, then tilted parallel to the spine and advanced by 10 cm;
- open the valve and lift the system by 1-2 meters (the higher the mug, the more rapidly the water enters the gut);
- after the emergence of an irresistible urge to defecate, the faucet is closed, the tip is removed from the anus;
- Buttocks in the anal area are recommended to hold to prevent premature leakage of fluid;
- You can defecate after a quarter of an hour.
Cleansing the bowel should not cause pain, bloating and dizziness. In such cases, the procedure must be stopped.
Independently exercise is best done in the bathroom in the supine position on the back, pulling the bent legs to the stomach. Preliminarily suspend the mug and close the tube with a clamp. After the procedure, you need rest for an hour, during this period you should not eat.
How to put an enema at home to a child
To children of younger age by virtue of anatomic structure of an intestine it is impossible to use an inventory for adults. It is necessary to know how to make an enema at home pear, which does not have a rigid tip and is characterized by a smaller volume.
Before use, the reservoir and hands should be sterilized, the solution must displace all air from the pear.
A pear with a soft tip is lubricated with a baby cream and injected into the anus at 4-5 cm. By compressing the pears pour from 100 to 300 ml of liquid, depending on the age. The procedure is carried out on the back with legs pressed to the abdomen, the child is put on the pot in half an hour.
Knowledge of how to put an enema at home, prevents the development of complications and can help with various disorders in the digestive tract. Especially useful are such skills in food poisoning, when it is necessary to provide the victim with first aid. However, it must be remembered that the appointment of an enema for therapeutic purposes requires consultation of a physician.