How to put an enema at home
Enema is a medical procedure that is accompanied by the introduction into the intestine of water, herbal and oil solutions for cleansing and therapeutic purposes. But it can be carried out not only in specialized hospitals, so everyone will be useful to know how to do an enema at home.
When do these skills come in handy?
- They will be needed in case of poisoning to provide emergency assistance to themselves and their relatives before the arrival of the ambulance.
- With bowel movements in case of spastic and atonic constipation.
- When treating home inflammatory diseases of the distal intestines.
What are the types of enemas
They differ in their intended use, technique and performance characteristics of the inventory. Depending on the factors, these procedures are divided into several types.
With the help of a cleansing enema, fecal masses are flushed out with a large amount of water under pressure with a rectal, sigmoid and ascending colon.
For the procedure required Esmarch mug. It consists of a rubber tank with a tube and a tip, equipped with a locking mechanism. The action occurs within 30 minutes after the injection of the liquid.
Hypertensive enema is used for constipation associated with the pathology of the rectum.
For the enema used rubber pear with a plastic tip. With its help, a hypertonic solution of salt or magnesia is introduced into the intestinal lumen, which increases osmotic pressure. This helps to dilute the fecal formations and stimulates the intestinal peristalsis, which improves emptying. The effect appears rapidly within 7 minutes after the injection of the solution.
Used to cleanse the distal colon with the help of warm oil solutions. As a result, fecal stones are enveloped with an oily substance and become elastic. Warm fluid relieves bowel spasm and facilitates bowel movement.
Oil enema is put on overnight, its laxative effect is slow, Purification of the rectal parts of the clock and bowel emptying occurs not earlier than 9–11 hours after the injection of oil.
Also, oil enema is used for medicinal purposes in inflammatory diseases of the rectum.
Indications and contraindications for statement enema
Before you start to do an enema at home, you need to know the contraindications and indications for this procedure.
Indications for enema:
- intestinal cleansing;
- first aid for poisoning and intoxication;
- laxative effect when stool is delayed for more than 3 days;
- ineffectiveness or contraindications to the treatment of constipation with drug therapy;
- preparation of the body for some analyzes and surgical interventions;
- treatment of proctitis, sigmoiditis, dysbacteriosis by administering medicinal suspensions, solutions and herbal decoctions.
- chronic inflammation of the intestine in the acute stage (colitis, proctitis, sigmoiditis);
- recurrent hemorrhoids with heavy bleeding;
- intestinal tumors;
- anal fissure;
- conditions after strokes and heart attacks;
- high body temperature;
- Menzis, pain in the abdomen.
Technique of performing hypertonic and oil enemas
To enter a hypertonic or oily solution, it is necessary to understand how to do an enema at home with a syringe. Before the procedure, the pear is separated from the plastic tip and placed in a container of boiling water for a few minutes for disinfection. Then the newly collected syringe is drained, filled with appropriate liquid, and the tip is smeared with baby cream or Vaseline.
Use mixtures that can be prepared independently:
- 10% NaCl solution: dilute with a dessert spoon of salt in 100 ml of water;
- 20% solution of magnesia: 20 grams of dry matter is diluted in 100 ml of water.
Lay on the left side, pressing the knees to the stomach and gently inject the nozzle into the anus. Pressing a pear, move the solution into the intestinal lumen. After the enema, the accepted position of the body is not changed for a quarter of an hour and the buttocks are compressed to prevent premature pouring of the solution.
After the specified time, the intestines are emptied. This exercise is not recommended for frequent use, as it aggressively affects the intestinal walls. Hypertensive enema should be prescribed by a doctor. It is carried out with chronic constipation and the absence of the effect of laxative drugs.
An oil enema for cleansing purposes is put on overnight, while oilcloth should be put under it, as the oil can gradually flow out. As a therapeutic method is used after pre-cleansing enema.
With it, you can enter vegetable oil and water-oil suspension in the amount of 60-90 ml. Using syringes to treat colitis, herbal teas from chamomile, calendula, and oak bark are injected for half an hour into the intestinal lumen. They have anti-inflammatory, astringent and regenerating effects.
Cleansing enema technique
The procedure for cleansing the intestine from fecal masses or waste products of pathogenic bacteria can be carried out with the help of an assistant or independently. The most convenient is the first option, which will provide comfort and high efficiency of the event.
The solution for enema is prepared immediately before the procedure. To do this, boiled water is heated to 37.5–38 ˚C. You can use the addition of the juice of one lemon per liter of liquid.
Before using the Esmarkh mug is recommended to treat with hot water with antibacterial or laundry soap. They check the system for tightness, the absence of cracks and irregularities of the tip, and test the condition of the valve.
The couch is lined with oilcloth, the free edge of which is placed in the adjacent basin or bucket. 1–2 l of liquid is poured into a mug, the air is forced out of the system and the valve is closed. Before starting the manipulation, it is recommended to drink a few sips of cool water and empty the bladder.
The technique of cleansing enema is available and simple:
- the patient lies on his left side and presses his legs to the rib cage;
- a vaseline-greased tip is inserted 3-4 cm in the direction of the navel, then tilted parallel to the spine and advanced 10 cm;
- open the valve and raise the system by 1–2 meters (the higher the circle, the faster the water enters the intestine);
- after the emergence of an irresistible desire for defecation, the tap is closed, the tip is removed from the anus;
- buttocks in the anus are recommended to hold to prevent premature leakage of fluid;
- You can defecate after a quarter of an hour.
Colon cleansing should not cause pain, bloating and dizziness. In such cases, the procedure must be terminated.
Self-exercise is best carried out in the bathroom in the supine position, pulling bent legs to the stomach. Pre-hang the cup and close the tube with a clip. After the procedure, you need to rest for an hour, during this period you should not eat food.
How to put an enema at home to a child
Young children due to the anatomical structure of the intestine can not use equipment for adults. You need to know how to do an enema at home with a pear, which does not have a hard tip and has a smaller volume.
Before using the tank and hands should be sterilized, the solution should force all the air out of the pear.
A soft-tipped pear is smeared with baby cream and injected 4–5 cm into the anus. By squeezing the pear pour from 100 to 300 ml of liquid, depending on age. The procedure is carried out on the back with legs tucked to the stomach, the child is planted on the pot in half an hour.
Knowledge of how to put an enema at home, prevents the development of complications and can help with various disorders in the digestive tract. Such skills are especially useful in food poisoning, when it is necessary to provide the victim with first aid. However, it must be remembered that prescribing an enema for therapeutic purposes requires consulting a doctor.