How to reduce blood cholesterol at home
Cholesterol is now scared from everywhere - television, newspapers and magazines, advertising, posters in clinics are full of stories about the dangers of this nutrient. Indeed, if its quantity exceeds physiological needs, it begins to be deposited in the vessels and tissues, causing atherosclerosis.
What is cholesterol? What is the rate of its consumption? How can this substance lead to death? Is it possible to remove its surplus from the body? And the main question is how at home to prevent the occurrence of atherosclerotic plaques and protect yourself and your loved ones from early death?
Cholesterol - harm or benefit?
Cholesterol is a natural fat found in all living organisms. In the human body, it is produced by the liver, adrenal glands, sexual glands, kidneys, intestines and comes from the outside with food. Why does a man need him?
- It is a part of cell membranes, regulates permeability, ensures their temperature stability, protection of erythrocytes from the action of hemolytic poisons.
- This substance is a precursor of some human hormones, for example, aldosterone, sex (progesterone, testosterone, estrogen), cortisol.
- Cholesterol is the basis for the formation of vitamin D.
- It is part of not only "harmful" fatty acids, but also "useful" - high-density lipoprotein.
- Bile acids in the composition of bile are also formed from cholesterol.
For greater clarity, you can divide cholesterol into harmful and beneficial. Since this substance is insoluble in water, it binds to proteins in the blood and is transported to cells in this form. The harmful cholesterol include low-density lipoproteins (LDL) and very low density (VLDL). These compounds spread cholesterol to peripheral tissues. They contribute to the formation of atherosclerosis.
Atherosclerosis is in the first place for reasons causing death. Cardiovascular diseases are the number one problem in medicine and it is common in economically developed countries. Atherosclerotic plaques are formed as a result of the deposition of harmful lipoproteins in the vessel wall.
Cholesterol can be postponed not only in old age, as many believe. Its excessive amount affects the vessels of even unborn fetuses. And if the mother abused fatty foods, the newborn will already have the initial stages of atherosclerosis.
Beneficial cholesterol is high density lipoprotein (HDL). They transport cholesterol to the liver, where nutrients are synthesized from it. In addition, high-density lipoproteins have a good property to reduce atherosclerotic plaques.
The harm and benefits of cholesterol depend on its content in the blood. And the concentration in the plasma - from the receipt from the outside with food.
Normal values of lipoproteins in humans:
- total cholesterol should be no more than 5.2 mmol / l;
- harmful cholesterol in the composition of LDL and VLDL should be less than 3.5 mmol / l;
- HDL cholesterol should be greater than 1.1.
High total cholesterol, LDL and VLDL contribute to the formation of atherosclerosis and increase the likelihood of death from cardiovascular diseases.
Reasons for increasing "bad" cholesterol
There are factors that increase the concentration of "bad" cholesterol:
- overeating and eating foods with a large number of trans fats, carbohydrates;
- low physical activity;
- liver diseases leading to stagnation of bile or impaired synthesis of fats;
- kidney disease.
Predisposing factors continue to work together with atherosclerosis, increasing the risk of cardiovascular complications.
How to determine the level of cholesterol at home
In order to determine the level of lipoproteins in the blood, you need to donate blood for lipidogram. If there have not yet been registered vascular lesions with atherosclerosis, and the person leads a healthy lifestyle, then the measurement should be done once every 3–4 years from the age of 25 years. People who have predisposing factors need to examine these indicators once a year. And if the person is elderly, then it is necessary to pass the examination at least once every six months, and preferably every 3 months.
But research takes a lot of time, because you first need to go to the clinic, take the direction of the analysis, stand in a line, come again for the result. Not everyone has the opportunity to spend so much time. You can take a lipidogram in a private laboratory, time will be spent a little less, but the study is not paid and not cheap. As a result, most people ignore the recommendations and do not control their lipid spectrum.
Thanks to modern technology, it is possible to measure blood lipids without leaving home. How to check cholesterol at home? - for this there are special devices. As a rule, the apparatus for measuring cholesterol at home is multifunctional. For example, there are blood glucose meters that measure glucose and lipids. There are also devices, in addition to cholesterol, that determine the concentration of triglycerides, hemoglobin, lactate, etc. It is quite simple to work with such a device. It is equipped with test strips, scarifier, display and built-in memory. The cholesterol test at home is done for three minutes and allows you to take care of the health of all family members.
Symptoms of high cholesterol in the blood
Hypercholesterolemia leads to its deposition in the wall of blood vessels, resulting in a narrowing of its lumen. The constriction may be of varying degrees and reach a complete lumen closure. But there is another danger. More often this plaque is broken, platelets, fibrin and other elements are layered at the site of the rupture, a blood clot forms, which overlaps an already narrowed vessel. In addition, he can tear off and moving with the blood stream to thrombate any vital vessels.
The result of excess cholesterol are the following diseases:
angina pectoris; myocardial infarction;
- kidney ischemia, chronic renal failure;
- arterial hypertension;
- intermittent claudication;
- intestinal infarction;
- atherosclerosis of various departments of the aorta;
- aortic aneurysm.
How can one assume that there is an excess of lipids in the blood without examination? Symptoms of high cholesterol are as follows.
- Repeated episodes of pain behind the sternum, extending into the arm or under the scapula, or into the abdomen, “fading” of the heart, and myocardial infarction may indicate a lesion of the coronary arteries.
- Impotence and reduced erection in men may be due to atherosclerosis of the arteries.
- Stroke, transient ischemic attacks - a consequence of the defeat of the blood vessels of the brain.
- When blockage of the veins and arteries of the legs occurs intermittent claudication, pain in the limbs, numbness, inflammation of the veins.
- External manifestations of hypercholesterolemia can be the presence of yellowish spots on the upper and lower eyelids, cholesterol nodules over the tendons.
External signs appear when cholesterol levels exceed target values many times over.
What you can and can not eat with high cholesterol
Since nutrition is of paramount importance in the normalization of lipid levels, it is necessary to determine the products that people with atherosclerosis can use and from which it is better to abstain. How to clean the blood vessels from cholesterol at home? - The best way is to follow a diet. It is not necessary to be a nutritionist to know that fatty roasts, roast pork, etc., cannot be consumed.
Harmful foods with high cholesterol:
- fatty meats (pork marble, lard, lamb, duck, goose, liver, kidneys, sausages, brains, smoked products, canned food);
- dairy products (fat milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, butter, cheese, cream);
- egg yolk;
- all types of semi-finished products (sausages, wieners, etc.);
- shrimp, squid;
- fatty fish;
- fish roe;
- bread and other high-grade pastries;
- pasta, semolina, rice;
Food that can be consumed:
- vegetable fats;
- lean meats (chicken, turkey, rabbit, beef, veal);
- vegetables fruits;
- wholemeal bread;
- sea fish;
- nuts, dried fruits.
There are also useful products that remove cholesterol from the body. Cellulose and vegetable food can bind cholesterol in the intestine and prevent its absorption into the blood. What removes cholesterol from the body?
- Dietary fiber should be consumed in the amount of 30 grams per day. They are found in apples, pears, peaches, raspberries, strawberries, cabbage, beans, peas, lentils.
- Pectins should arrive in the amount of 15 grams per day. They can be found in apples, plums, apricots, beets, carrots, black currants.
- Rapeseed, soybean and coniferous oils contain stanols, which can also remove cholesterol from the body.
How to determine how much you need to eat fruit a day to effectively remove cholesterol? - about 400 grams of various fruits will be enough. You can determine the number of portions. For example, one serving is 1 apple or 1 pear, or 2 plums, etc. You should eat 5 such servings per day.
Folk remedies for high cholesterol
How to clean the vessels of cholesterol folk remedies? There are medicinal fees that effectively eliminate hyperlipidemia:
- the yarrow is mixed with horsetail, hawthorn, mistletoe and periwinkle, the mixture is drawn in 200 ml of boiling water for 30 minutes and consumed during the day 1 sip for about 2-3 months;
- 20 g of yarrow and St. John's wort mixed with 4 g of arnica, prepare the infusion, pouring a glass of boiling water, and drink during the day.
How to quickly lower cholesterol at home? - for this, such folk remedies are suitable, such as ground flax seeds, lime blossom, dandelion roots, eggplants, alfalfa, mountain ash, propolis, tomatoes, an infusion of oats and beetroot kvass.
Infusion of blue cyanosis quickly removes cholesterol from the blood. A decoction of this herb is drunk 1 tablespoon after meals 4 times a day for 2-3 weeks.
How to remove cholesterol from the body at home
How to clean the blood vessels from cholesterol at home? Any therapy should begin with non-drug methods such as:
- weight loss;
- increased physical activity;
- getting rid of bad habits.
Together with these methods can be treated with the help of folk remedies.
If the cholesterol is too high, and you need to lower it as quickly as possible, for example, if a myocardial infarction or stroke is threatened, then specialist help is needed. The doctor may prescribe pills that reduce the level of lipids in the blood. Cholesterol poisoning is treated with statins, fibrates and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Now on the pharmaceutical market a large variety of these drugs. Which one is right for the patient should be decided only by a doctor. Self-medication may not only prove ineffective, but also harm the body, since these drugs are far from safe and have side effects.
High cholesterol is a major factor in the development of atherosclerosis - the causes of most cardiovascular diseases.
If hypercholesterolemia is found, you need to think about its cause and begin to decline with non-drug methods. Cholesterol diet, folk remedies, an active lifestyle, the fight against smoking and alcoholism - reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood, stop the progression of atherosclerosis, and, most importantly, reduce its manifestations.
If, against the background of high blood fats, symptoms of atherosclerosis (heart pain, transient ischemic attacks, pain in the legs, etc.) have appeared, you should see a doctor as soon as possible, who will probably decide to prescribe blood cholesterol-lowering drugs.
But to prevent the disease is easier than cure. Therefore, it is important to establish hypercholesterolemia in time. Since atherosclerosis is getting younger every year, it is recommended to start regular blood lipid testing from the age of 25. You can do this in hospitals or at home with the help of special devices. Dieting doesn’t hurt even people with normal cholesterol levels. Do not be afraid of its shortage. With the production of a sufficient amount of our own cholesterol, our liver works fine.