Use of Levomycetin for food poisoning
Digestive disorders in the form of diarrhea and vomiting are among the most frequent symptoms of food poisoning. Help to overcome the unpleasant condition will help complex measures - abundant drinking, washing the stomach, taking sorbents and diet.
To accelerate the process of recovery, patients often take medications themselves. But not all medications are suitable for food poisoning. One of the popular "appointments" for self-treatment of poisonings is Levomycetin. Therefore, it is important to know when it is of benefit, and in which cases its use is not only not justified, but also dangerous for life. Let's look at these questions.
Properties of Levomycetin and indications for its use
Levomycetin belongs to synthetic antibiotics, with an effective action against Gram-positive cocci (gonococci and meningococci), as well as bacteria that cause disruption of the food tract (E. coli, proteins and serrations, Shigella, Salmonella, Leptospira, Klebsiella, Haemophilus influenzae).
Indications for the use of Levomycetin for poisoning are:
- a serious condition of the patient with increasing weakness, multiple vomiting and diarrhea (more than 10 times), which do not cease after normal activities;
- the presence of blood and / or pus in the feces;
- keeping the fever for longer than a day, despite basic therapy;
- laboratory study of feces (seeding) with determination of pathogen sensitive to Levomycetin;
- in special cases, when the pathogen does not act other antibiotics, except for Levomycetin.
It should be emphasized that antibiotics are prescribed for treatment, especially for poisoning, only a doctor! After consultation, examination and results of laboratory tests, he establishes the diagnosis and recommends appropriate treatment with indication of the dose of the drug, the frequency of reception per day and the duration of therapy.
For reference, we give the general recommendations according to the instructions for the administration of Levomycetin for poisoning:
- the drug is taken 30 minutes before meals or, in the case of nausea in the patient, 1 hour after eating;
- It is shown to swallow the whole tablet, do not chew or grind, drink plenty of water (sweet water is allowed);
- used to treat adults for 0.5 grams 3-4 times a day, receptions should be organized at regular intervals;
- courses of application according to the appointment of a doctor - an average of 5-7 days;
- Levomycetin is given to children after poisoning after 3 years and calculate the dose of the drug per kilogram of the child's body weight.
Negative consequences of uncontrolled admission Levomycetin
Levomycetin belongs to bacteriostatic drugs, it has a fairly strong effect on certain types of bacteria. In addition, it is characterized by no less aggressive impact on the human body.
With uncontrolled treatment with Levomycetin, side effects will be as follows.
- Allergic reactions - from urticaria (pruritus and rash) and to serious health problems in the form of edema of the throat, lips and tongue, face.
- Influence on the hematopoietic function leads to a decrease in the number of cellular elements of the blood. The drop in the concentration of leukocytes helps to reduce the protective forces and the occurrence of colds. The low content of platelets causes a predisposition to the development of bleeding - nasal, gum, intestinal. Disruption of the formation of red blood cells is the basis of anemia.
- The change in the amount of glucose in the blood, you should carefully apply the drug to patients with diabetes mellitus.
- Irritation of the intestinal mucosa by the type of pseudomembranous colitis, which is characterized by the appearance of watery diarrhea with blood.
- Urine can acquire a darker shade.
- Headaches, impaired vision and hearing.
- Disorders from the nervous system are manifested by depressive states, psychomotor disorders, hallucinations are possible.
- Symptoms of general malaise.
Children under 3 years are generally not recommended to take Levomycetin from poisoning. Taking the drug may cause the development of a "gray child syndrome", which is manifested by weakness and drowsiness, multiple vomiting and refusal to eat, the child's body temperature is lower than normal, diarrhea with green feces is noted, pale skin acquires a gray sometimes blue tinge. If this condition does not immediately stop taking the drug and not call an ambulance, a possible death for the child.
Given the above-mentioned adverse reactions, it is necessary to indicate the main contraindications to taking the drug.
- It is not advisable to use Levomycetin for food poisoning caused by toxins. The drug does not affect them and does not contribute to their excretion.
- An approximate situation develops in viral intestinal diseases, which are insensitive to the drug.
- In patients with resistance (insensitivity) to Levomycetin due to uncontrolled use as a self-treatment, not observing the dosage of the drug and the duration of treatment. In the case of 1 or 2 days of medication, the patient not only does not get rid of pathogens, but contributes to the development of their resistance to antibiotics.
- It is not recommended to use for the treatment of pregnant women, nursing mothers and toddlers up to 3 years.
- Do not welcome the prescription of the drug to patients with diabetes mellitus, severe liver and kidney damage.
- Patients with lesions of hematopoiesis or cancer patients who take chemotherapy or cytotoxic drugs should not use the drug.
Thus, Levomycetin, due to its broad antimicrobial action, has good therapeutic effects for a certain list of pathogens. But its use requires preliminary laboratory confirmation, and it is necessary to adhere to the doctor's recommendations how to take Levomycetin in poisoning, it must also be taken into account that when taking it, the risk of adverse reactions is high and it is important to pay attention to contraindications.