Flaxseed oil - useful properties, contraindications
Flax is one of the oldest cultures cultivated by mankind. This plant has a rich historical past - it was respected in Ancient Egypt and Colchis, and the great healer Hippocrates used flaxseed oil to treat wounds, burns and stomach diseases. In Russia, flax is known from the II millennium BC, and cultivated it from the X-XIII centuries. Flax was used for cooking oil, made clothes from it, and also used for food. Today this culture is cultivated in many countries of Europe and America, and linseed oil is often called "Russian".
Why does this product remain popular for thousands of years of human history? What is the use and harm of flaxseed oil and how to take it to preserve youth and health?
Composition of flaxseed oil
To begin with, flaxseed oil has a unique composition, which somewhat distinguishes it from similar plant products. At once we will make a reservation, that it is a question of oil of cold pressing, made without application of modern technologies.
This product is made from flax seeds. Dry grains are pressed and an oily liquid is obtained. The first grade is used for food, and the second is widely used in industry, in particular, drying oil and quick-drying varnishes are made from it.
How to choose flax oil in the store? Quality product has a yellow-brown or caramel color, light is transparent. It is pleasant to the taste, not bitter, with a delicate, specific aroma. The product is rapidly oxidized during storage, therefore it is packed in small glass bottles of dark color. It is better to buy unrefined flaxseed oil - it is more useful than refined.
The use of linseed oil for the body is caused by the content of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the product, which the body can not produce itself and must receive with food. They are also known as vitamin F.
Flaxseed oil has an optimum ratio of acids:
One tablespoon a day completely covers the human need for polyunsaturated fatty acids. Here is an approximate ratio of fatty acids in linseed oil:
- linolenic (omega-3) - from 44 to 61%;
- linoleic (omega-6) - from 15 to 30%;
- oleic (omega-9) - from 13 to 29%;
- Saturated acids - from 9 to 11%.
By the way, alpha-linoleic acid omega-3 in such quantities is contained only in fish oil, so the smell of quality linseed oil resembles this medicine. In addition, it found a significant amount of tocopherols, phytohormones-estrogens and folic acid. In small doses, the product contains magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C.
What is the use of flaxseed oil?
Useful properties of flaxseed oil are determined by the action of unsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants on all body structures. With regular use of the product in food, the following effects are noted.
- The blood cholesterol level is lowering , the normal blood viscosity and the elasticity of the vascular wall are restored. The risk of diseases such as hypertension, myocardial infarction, thrombosis, atherosclerosis and cardiac arrhythmia is reduced.
- The work of the digestive system is normalized, constipation, inflammation of the intestine and stomach disappear, and the functioning of the liver improves. Also this product has an antiparasitic effect for the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
- In women, the hormonal background is restored, and during the menopause, all changes are easier.
- Flaxseed oil for men is useful in that it improves blood circulation in pelvic organs, increases potency and reduces the risk of prostate diseases.
- Tissue regeneration occurs more quickly, which is important in the postoperative period, with healing of wounds, restoration of muscles after intensive physical exertion, to increase skin elasticity and flexibility of joints.
Participating in fat metabolism, helps to reduce the amount of fat deposits, speeds up the metabolism, prevents the development of diabetes and endocrine disorders in the body.
- Favorably affects the mucosa of the respiratory tract with asthma, pulmonary diseases, dry cough, rhinitis.
- There is evidence that regular reception stimulates the immune system, including against cancer cells. A positive prophylactic effect on breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men, oncological diseases of the rectum was revealed.
Also, linseed oil is widely used in cosmetology to rejuvenate the skin and improve hair health.
To fill the needs of the body and prevent many diseases, it is enough to take 1-2 tablespoons of linseed oil a day. This can be done separately from other foods, and you can replace them for salad dressings and cereals traditional vegetable - sunflower, olive, corn. When there are unpleasant sensations in the abdomen or loosening of the stool, the dose is reduced, but the reception does not stop. Side effects should disappear after 3-5 days.
For medicinal purposes, you can take the drug in capsules, which is sold in pharmacies.
Let us consider in more detail how to take flaxseed oil to influence certain body systems.
When digestive disorders or inflammatory diseases of the stomach and intestine take linseed oil on an empty stomach.
- For constipation, 1-2 tablespoons twice a day before meals.
- When inflammation in the mouth "rinse your mouth" for several minutes, then spit out. Repeat several times a day.
- To maintain the liver, doctors recommend drinking at doses of 15 to 40 grams per day, but no more.
- When gastritis combined with drugs that reduce the acidity of gastric juice. Take 1 teaspoonful three times a day, drinking with warm water. The course of treatment is three months.
For the heart and blood vessels
And here is how to take flaxseed oil for medicinal purposes with cardiovascular diseases.
- When atherosclerosis of the vessels is 1 tablespoon twice a day for three months.
- With ischemia of the heart for 4-6 months.
- In prophylactic purposes, to reduce cholesterol, courses 2-3 weeks a year 2-3 times a year.
For losing weight
Weight loss is achieved by normalizing the work of the intestine, improving liver function and accelerating fat metabolism. In addition, many women noted that if you drink linseed oil for weight loss, then significantly improve the condition of the skin and hair.
- The reception begins with 1 teaspoon per day for half an hour before breakfast.
- After 10 days, the dose is gradually increased, bringing up to 1 tablespoon.
- A month later, they take a break for 1-2 weeks, then the course is repeated as necessary.
- In joint diseases, a massage with heated linseed oil is recommended.
- In case of skin diseases, a moistened napkin is applied to ulcers and poorly healing wounds for several hours. You can also do with trophic ulcers and burns, but consult with your doctor beforehand.
- Linseed oil for the skin has a softening and regenerating effect. It is added to masks and creams or used in its pure form. It is good to mix the product with honey, sour cream, kefir, egg yolk, lemon juice. Scrapes and peeling can be lubricated with clean oil several times during the day.
- Linseed oil for the face is used for dry or aging skin. It is applied overnight with a thin layer, except for the area around the eyes. For exfoliating effect, make a mask using together with flax oil oat flakes.
- Flax oil for hair is used because of beneficial effects on the scalp and the very structure of the hair. It is perfectly absorbed, so it can be added to masks for any type of hair. Masks are rubbed into the skin, evenly distributed throughout the hair and wrapped around the head with polyethylene and a towel. Withstand for 1-1.5 hours. Mixtures with burdock, castor oils, egg yolk, onion juice, honey are good.
Flaxseed oil has found its place in the treatment of joints, skin and hair diseases, in cosmetology. The use of linseed oil for women is a rejuvenating effect.
Harm to flaxseed oil
In some cases, the use of linseed oil inside may be harmful. Poisoning, perhaps, with the use of a rancid product, since it accumulates oxidized degradation substances of polyunsaturated acids. They have a bad effect on the liver, causing nausea, pain in the right hypochondrium and diarrhea.
Flaxseed oil can not be heated and even more so fry on it, since the beneficial substances thus acquire carcinogenic properties. Store this product in a dark cool place in a well-ukuporennoy glass container.
The damage to linseed oil can also occur if the product is misused. In the case of individual intolerance or excess dosage, side effects are possible:
- allergic reactions;
- when lactating, the laxative effect of the product manifests itself in the child;
- increased clotting of blood due to increased platelet levels.
With caution, you should drink flaxseed oil for pregnant women and people taking medications:
- lowering cholesterol;
- effects on blood clotting;
- contraceptive and hormonal means.
In this case, it is necessary to agree the reception of this product with the attending physician.
Flaxseed oil has contraindications for use. First of all, this refers to the presence of chronic diseases:
- polyps in the uterus and appendages.
Summarizing all of the above, we note that flaxseed oil is an exceptionally useful product. It is taken for food in small doses to prevent many diseases of the heart and blood vessels, stomach and intestines, and female and male sexual problems. In cosmetics based on linseed oil, various masks and creams are made, and dermatologists successfully use it to treat skin diseases. You can eat only a quality cold-pressed product. It is unacceptable to heat linseed oil, use it expired or rancid - in this form the product can cause poisoning.