Can I breast-feed at poisoning?
Each breastfeeding mother may encounter a problem such as poisoning. From this, unfortunately, no one is immune. In such a situation, any woman asks herself whether it is possible to breast-feed a child with poisoning?
We will try to understand, in what situations it is possible to continue breastfeeding, and when it is better not to do it.
Signs of poisoning
Most importantly, when poisoning occurs during breastfeeding, determine the cause of this condition.
Causes of poisoning:
- Foodborne disease. At the same time, toxins have a negative effect as a result of the vital activity of bacteria. They accumulate in products. This is typical for staphylococci and clostridia. The most serious poisoning occurs with botulism.
- Intestinal infections: dysentery, escherichia, salmonellosis, etc.
Characteristic signs of poisoning in both cases appear when using low-quality products: milk, meat, confectionery, poor quality water, contaminated fruits and others.
Can I breast-feed my baby with poisoning?
The decision on breastfeeding during poisoning is affected by the severity of the disease and the condition of the woman herself.
If the condition is severe or of moderate severity, then hospitalization in the infectious department is required. Because of the state of mother about the continuation of breastfeeding, there can be no question. In this situation, the only thing you can advise is to express milk regularly, so that it does not go away. And after recovery, continue to please your baby with the most useful product for him - breast milk.
If you are lucky, and the severity of the poisoning is easy, then you can stay at home. In such a situation, can I breastfeed while poisoning? Definitely - you can. Do not deprive the child of mother's milk, which contains useful substances, including those that provide immune protection to the baby. In cases of banal poisoning, the predominantly digestive system of a woman is affected, and the penetration of toxins and bacteria into breast milk is unlikely. The greatest danger in this case is represented by the hands or parts of the body to which bacteria that have caused poisoning can enter. And the first thing that a mother should do is to strictly follow the rules of her own hygiene.
Treatment for poisoning of nursing mother
When treating women during lactation, there are some limitations, since many chemicals are excreted in breast milk. This can have a negative impact on the defenseless children's body. Therefore, any prescription of medicines must be considered.
At a toxicoinfection antibiotics are not shown in general, as the causative agent in an organism is absent.
When intestinal infection often requires the appointment of antimicrobial or antibacterial drugs to eliminate the cause of poisoning - bacteria. Most of these medications are contraindicated in lactation. But some infections require the appointment of these funds. Then there is a danger for the child, and feeding should be stopped. In any case, a doctor's consultation is necessary.
It is necessary to take into account the clinical manifestations of the disease and their severity. Treatment in this situation is exceptionally symptomatic.
The main manifestations of poisoning:
- stomach ache;
- general symptoms: weakness, fever, pain in the muscles, headache.
When there are symptoms of intoxication and the thought that the reason for this are spoiled products, it is necessary to conduct a number of detoxification activities.
- Get rid of the cause that caused these troubles: gastric lavage and usual enema (if there is no natural cleansing of the intestine in the form of a liquid stool).
- Reduce the absorption of toxins in the intestines, using adsorbents. Smectus should be taken by sachet three times a day, diluting in a quarter of a glass of water. When calculating the dose of activated carbon, the body weight must be taken into account. You can use Polysorb - on a tablespoon with a slide four times a day. Enterosgel recommended for a bag or a tablespoon with a slide three times a day. It must be remembered that the preparations of this group are taken 1-1.5 hours before meals. The same amount of time you need to wait, if you take the adsorbent after eating. This rule applies to the use of medicines.
- As with the vomit, as well as a frequent and plentiful stool, the body loses fluid and trace elements, it is necessary to drink a lot. For this purpose, saline solutions (Regidron), alkaline (mineral) water without gas, sweet tea, glucose solution (5%) will do. It is expedient to alternate them. The main rule: drink often, but little by little. Otherwise, you can provoke vomiting and even more dehydration of the body.
- The food should be gentle. Products containing fiber and organic acids that irritate the mucosa of the digestive tract and promote peristalsis of intestinal activity are excluded.
- If nausea and vomiting are concerned, it is better to use folk methods. It can be green tea. Do not damage the broth of dill seeds (a small spoon with 200 ml of boiling water), which additionally strengthens lactation. Antiemetic drugs may be used, but in extreme cases.
- The medicine for diarrhea - Loperamide, lactating women is strictly contraindicated. Therefore, we are saved by what is near at hand. Efficient use of rice broth or the use of cereal from the same cereal, cooked without the use of milk. A well-known folk remedy is a decoction or infusion of cherry (a tablespoon of fruit in a glass of boiling water). Suitable and potato starch: a teaspoon of starch to pour half a glass of cold water, mix and immediately all to consume. Auxiliary means: enzymes (Pancreatin, Festal) and probiotics (Lineks, Bifiform, Acipol).
- With pain in the abdomen, it is better to use medicinal herbs that have an antispasmodic effect. It can be chamomile tea, which additionally has an anti-inflammatory property. The use of antispasmodics and other pain medication is limited.
Antimicrobial and antibacterial drugs for the treatment of mild poisoning are not used. They are used for strict indications and for the purpose of a specialist. But even if such drugs are prescribed, you can breast-feed with poisoning. In this case, the doctor will take your situation into account and prescribe the safest remedy, if possible.
Preventive measures for lactating women
- Before you eat something with breastfeeding women, you need to make sure that the product is safe.
- Be sure to boil water or drink bottled.
- Careful handling of fruits and vegetables.
- Remember about personal hygiene.
Thus, the question of whether it is possible to feed breast milk during poisoning, the answer is simple - you can, and even need, if your mother is able to do it.