Is it possible to feed breast milk in case of poisoning
Each nursing mother can face such a problem as poisoning. From this, unfortunately, no one is insured. In such a situation, any woman asks herself whether it is possible to breastfeed a child in case of poisoning?
We will try to figure out in what situations you can continue feeding breast milk, and when it is better not to do it.
Signs of poisoning
Most importantly, when there is a poisoning during breastfeeding, determine the cause of this condition.
Causes of poisoning:
- Food toxicoinfection. At the same time, toxins have a negative effect - the result of the vital activity of bacteria. They accumulate in products. This is characteristic of staphylococci and clostridia. The most severe poisoning occurs when botulism.
- Intestinal infections: dysentery, escherichiosis, salmonellosis, etc.
Characteristic signs of poisoning in both cases appear when consuming low-quality products: milk, meat, confectionery, poor-quality water, polluted fruit, and others.
Is it possible to breastfeed if poisoned
The decision on breastfeeding in case of poisoning is influenced by the severity of the disease and the condition of the woman herself.
If the condition is severe or moderate, then you will need to be hospitalized in the infectious disease ward. Due to the condition of the mother, there is no question of continuing breastfeeding. In this situation, the only thing that can be advised is to regularly express the milk so that it does not disappear. And after recovery, continue to delight your baby with the most useful product for him - breast milk.
If you are lucky, and the severity of poisoning is easy, you can stay at home. In such a situation, is it possible to breastfeed if poisoned? Definitely - you can. You should not deprive the child of mother's milk, which contains beneficial substances, including those providing immune protection of the baby. When banal poisoning affects mainly the digestive system of women, and the penetration into breast milk of toxins and bacteria is unlikely. In this case, the hands or the parts of the body that may be affected by the bacteria that caused the poisoning are more dangerous. And the first thing that mother should do is to strictly follow the rules of personal hygiene.
Treatment for nursing mother poisoning
When treating women during lactation, there are some limitations, since many chemicals are excreted in breast milk. This can have a negative effect on the defenseless children's body. Therefore, any prescription should be deliberate.
When toxicoinfections antibiotics are not shown at all, since the pathogen in the body is absent.
When an intestinal infection often requires the appointment of antimicrobial or antibacterial drugs to eliminate the cause of the poisoning - bacteria. Most of these medications are contraindicated during lactation. But some infections require the use of these drugs. Then there is a danger for the child, and feeding should stop. In any case, you must consult a doctor.
It is necessary to take into account the clinical manifestations of the disease and their severity. The treatment in this situation is exceptionally symptomatic.
The main manifestations of poisoning:
- stomach ache;
- common symptoms: weakness, fever, muscle pain, headache.
At occurrence of symptoms of intoxication and the thought that spoiled products became the reason for this, it is necessary to carry out a number of detoxification measures.
- Get rid of the reason that caused these troubles: gastric lavage and regular enema (if there is no natural bowel cleansing in the form of liquid stool).
- Reduce the absorption of toxins in the intestines using adsorbents. Smektu should be taken on the bag three times a day, diluted in a quarter cup of water. When calculating the dose of activated carbon, body weight must be considered. You can use Polysorb - a tablespoon with a slide four times a day. Enterosgel recommended sachet or tablespoon with a slide three times a day. It must be remembered that the drugs in this group are taken 1-1.5 hours before meals. The same time you need to wait if you take the adsorbent after a meal. This rule applies to taking medication.
- Since the vomit, as well as frequent and abundant stools, the body loses fluid and trace elements, you need to drink a lot. Saline solutions (Regidron), alkaline (mineral) water without gas, sweet tea, glucose solution (5%) are suitable for this. It is advisable to alternate them. The basic rule: drink often, but little by little. Otherwise, you can provoke vomiting and even dehydration.
- Food should be gentle. Excluded products containing fiber and organic acids that irritate the mucous membrane of the digestive tract and contribute to increased peristalsis of intestinal activity.
- If nausea and vomiting are concerned, it is better to use folk methods. This may be green tea. Do not hurt the decoction of dill seeds (small spoon per 200 ml of boiling water), which further enhances lactation. Antiemetic drugs can be used, but in extreme cases.
- Cure for diarrhea - Loperamide, lactating women is absolutely contraindicated. Therefore, we are saved by what is at hand. Effective use of rice water or eating porridge from the same cereal, cooked without the use of milk. Famous folk remedy decoction or bird cherry infusion (a tablespoon of fruit in a glass of boiled water). Potato starch will also work: pour a teaspoon of starch with half a glass of cold water, mix and use everything at once. Auxiliary agents: enzymes (Pancreatin, Festal) and probiotics (Linex, Bifiform, Acipol).
- When abdominal pain is better to use medicinal herbs that have antispasmodic effects. This may be chamomile tea, which additionally has anti-inflammatory properties. Acceptance of antispasmodics and other painkillers is limited.
Antimicrobial and antibacterial drugs are not used in the treatment of mild poisoning. They are applied according to strict indications and according to the purpose of a specialist. But even if such drugs are prescribed, you can breastfeed with poisoning. In this case, the doctor will take into account your situation and prescribe the safest remedy, if possible.
Prevention for nursing women
- Before you eat something with a breastfeeding woman, you need to make sure that the product is safe.
- Be sure to boil water or drink bottled.
- Careful processing of fruits and vegetables.
- Remember about personal hygiene.
Thus, to the question of whether it is possible to feed with breast milk in case of poisoning, the answer is simple - it is possible, and even necessary, if mother is able to do it.