Poisoning or rotavirus infection?
Nowadays, every year, 3 million children die from diarrhea associated with rotavirus infection. If earlier organisms were most often affected by the so-called intestinal flu, now cases with adults have become more frequent.
It is very important not to confuse the concept of rotavirus infection with poisoning, since the methods of treatment, as well as the symptoms, differ among themselves. Improper treatment for a given case can lead to serious complications.
Differences in the causes of rotavirus infection and poisoning
To figure out how to distinguish rotavirus from poisoning, let's find out what is the source of a particular disease.
You can get rotavirus infection from a sick person, or a healthy carrier of the virus. The virus is able to multiply very rapidly in the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract, it goes along with the feces from the first days of the disease. Another feature of rotavirus infection is that immunity does not suffer from this, repeated cases of the disease are often not observed.
Sometimes a person may not even notice that he is a carrier of the infection, since the manifestation of the disease may not be sufficiently pronounced, there is just a slight decrease in appetite and a one-time case of diarrhea.
The causes of poisoning are bacteria, living microorganisms, toxins that fall on food. The source of contamination of the products may be improper packaging, dirty hands, or incorrect storage and transportation conditions. Most often, raw foods that are not heat treated are susceptible to contamination.
Difference in symptoms
In order to understand the poisoning or rotavirus infection has overcome you, you need to deal with the symptoms that indicate this or that disease.
Symptoms of rotavirus infection
Correctly, this infectious disease is called rotavirus gastroenteritis. It causes a disturbance in the intestines, which leads to a very rapid dehydration of the body. Externally, this can be seen by signs such as sunken eyes, too dry mucous membranes, and folds can sometimes appear on the skin. Only during the day a person can significantly lose weight.
For rotavirus infection, the following characteristic symptoms:
- complete refusal to eat;
- frequent vomiting;
- loose stools yellowish, with an unpleasant sour smell;
- severe abdominal pain;
- pain when swallowing;
- raid on the tongue;
- rumbling in the stomach;
- red throat and conjunctival eyes;
- nasal congestion;
Often, the course of such a disease goes away in 4-7 days, complete recovery.
Symptoms of poisoning
Poisoning is characterized by the following symptoms, which can be divided into three groups.
Symptoms of inflammation of the intestinal mucosa
These symptoms include:
- abdominal pain;
Symptoms of intoxication
Symptoms of intoxication include the following disorders:
- weakness of the body;
- muscle pain;
Symptoms of dehydration
Symptoms of dehydration include:
- dry mucous membranes;
- frequent stools;
- poor urination;
- heart palpitations.
At best, without any intervention, all symptoms of poisoning go away on their own in one or two days. If after this time, you have certain symptoms of dehydration, such as dry mouth, dark yellow urine, frequent dizziness, or you have noticed that the number of urination has significantly decreased, you should immediately seek medical help.
The main factors by which poisoning can be determined - the disease begins to manifest itself very quickly and suddenly, similar symptoms manifest in all people, if they ate together, the poisoning lasts no more than five days. It is also clearly possible to notice the connection of poisoning with the consumption of a questionable dish or product.
Differences poisoning from rotavirus
Based on the signs, you can understand rotavirus or poisoning, according to the following criteria.
- Rotavirus is characterized by fever, which can last for several days.
- We should not forget that rotavirus is, most often, a seasonal disease and is transmitted to other people. Moreover, this disease is mainly affected by small children aged from six months to one year old, who are no longer fed with breast milk, and therefore they have reduced immunity and protective functions of the whole organism. And food poisoning associated with the use of poor-quality product, and not transmitted from a sick person to a healthy one. This disease can affect both adults and children who have consumed foods that have been infected by various bacteria.
- Most people who have caught rotavirus infection, in addition to vomiting, a sharp increase in body temperature, and diarrhea, add symptoms of a viral disease - a runny nose, headache, cough, red throat and a sensation of pain when swallowing. The characteristic chair for this type of disease is quite frequent on the first day, on the second day it acquires a grayish-yellow shade and becomes clay-like. In this case, the urine becomes very dark, sometimes even with the presence of blood.
- When rotavirus is usually characterized by consistent disease of all family members or group, in which there was a sick person. In case of poisoning at the same time, all those who ate an infected product get sick at the same time.
- In addition, the difference in poisoning from rotavirus is also that when rotavirus there is a red throat and eyes, nasal congestion and a rare cough. Poisoning does not contain such signs, although in many respects these diseases are very similar.
Despite the fact that many of the symptoms and the principle of rotovirus infection and food poisoning are similar, they still have certain differences, and for the correct treatment of a particular disease, you must first determine its appearance. Best of all, the doctor will do it!