Poisoning or rotovirus infection?
In our time, from diarrhea associated with rotavirus infection, every year 3 million children die in the world. If before the most often exposed to the so-called intestinal flu, children's organisms, now there are frequent cases with adults.
It is very important not to confuse the concept of rotavirus infection with poisoning, since the methods of treatment, as well as the symptoms, differ from each other. Incorrectly selected treatment for this or that case can lead to serious complications.
Differences in the causes of rotavirus infection and poisoning
To understand how to distinguish rotavirus from poisoning, let's find out what is the source of this or that disease.
Infection with rotavirus infection can be from a sick person, or a healthy carrier of the virus. The virus is able to reproduce at a very rapid rate in the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract, it comes with feces, from the very first days of the disease. Another feature of rotavirus infection is that immunity does not suffer from this, repeated cases of the disease are often not observed.
Sometimes a person may not even notice that he is the carrier of the infection, since the manifestation of the disease may be insufficiently expressed, there is simply a slight decrease in appetite and a single case of diarrhea.
The causes of the poisoning are bacteria, living microorganisms, toxins that get into food. The source of product contamination can be improper packaging, dirty hands, or incorrect storage and transportation conditions. Most often, the products are exposed to raw materials that are not subjected to heat treatment.
Difference in symptoms
In order to understand whether poisoning or rotavirus infection has overcome you, you need to understand the symptoms that indicate this or that disease.
Symptoms of rotavirus infection
On the right, this infectious disease is called rotavirus gastroenteritis. It causes disturbances in the work of the intestines, which leads to very rapid dehydration of the body. Outwardly, it can be seen on such signs as sunken eyes, too dry mucous membranes, on the skin folds may sometimes appear. Only during the day a person can significantly lose weight.
For rotavirus infection, the following symptoms are typical:
- increased body temperature;
- complete refusal to eat;
- frequent vomiting;
- frequent loose stools of yellowish color, having an unpleasant sour smell;
- severe abdominal pain;
- pain when swallowing;
- plague on the tongue;
- rumbling in the abdomen;
- red throat and conjunctiva eyes;
- nasal congestion;
Often the course of such a disease passes through 4-7 days, a complete recovery.
Symptoms of poisoning
Poisoning is characterized by the following symptoms, which can be divided into three groups.
Symptoms of inflammation of the intestinal mucosa
Such symptoms include:
- abdominal pain;
Symptoms of intoxication
Symptoms of intoxication include the following disorders:
- weakness of the body;
- pain in the muscles;
Symptoms of dehydration
Symptoms of dehydration include:
- dry mucous membranes;
- frequent stools;
- poor urination;
- frequent palpitations.
At best, without any intervention, all the symptoms of poisoning pass by themselves in a day or two. If after this time, you have certain symptoms of dehydration, such as dry mouth, dark yellow urine, frequent dizziness, or you notice that the amount of urination has decreased significantly, it is necessary to immediately seek help from a doctor.
The main factors by which poisoning can be determined is that the disease starts to manifest very quickly and suddenly, similar symptoms appear in all people, if they eat together, the poisoning lasts no more than five days. You can also clearly see the relationship of poisoning with eating a questionable dish or product.
Differences in poisoning from rotavirus
Based on the symptoms, understand the rotavirus or poisoning, you can by the following criteria.
- Rotavirus is characterized by an increase in body temperature, which can last for several days.
- Do not forget that rotavirus is, most often, seasonal disease and is transmitted to other people. Moreover, this disease mainly affects young children from six months to a year old, who are no longer fed breast milk, and therefore they have reduced immunity and protective functions of the whole organism. A food poisoning is associated with the use of a poor-quality product, and is not transferred from a sick person to a healthy one. Such a disease can be experienced by both adults and children who have eaten foods that have been infected with various bacteria.
- Most people who have caught rotavirus infection, in addition to vomiting, a sharp increase in body temperature, and diarrhea, add symptoms of a viral illness - a runny nose, a headache, a cough, a red throat and a feeling of pain when swallowing. The characteristic chair for this type of disease - on the first day is quite frequent, on the second day it acquires a grayish-yellow shade and becomes clay-like. The urine becomes very dark, sometimes even with the presence of blood.
- When rotavirus is usually characterized by a consistent disease of all members of the family or team, which was a sick person. When poisoning at the same time all those who have consumed contaminated food fall ill.
- In addition, the difference between poisoning from rotavirus is also that with rotavirus there is a red throat and eyes, a stuffy nose and a rare cough. Poisoning does not contain such signs, although in many respects these diseases are very similar.
Despite the fact that many symptoms and the principle of the course of rotovirus infection and food poisoning are similar, they still have some differences, and for the correct treatment of a disease, you must first determine its appearance. Best of all, the doctor will do it!