Poisoning with watermelon

арбуз и отравление Vegetables, fruits and berries constitute a significant part of the diet of healthy food. Everyone knows about their benefits to the body. But can they cause the disease? Unfortunately, like other foods, they can cause food poisoning.

Watermelons are among the products, poisoning which is not uncommon. Why does this delicious berry become poisonous? What is dangerous is the excess of nitrogen fertilizers, can it be poisoned with watermelon without nitrates, and what are the symptoms of the disease? Let's find out.

The causes of poisoning with watermelon

A good, high-quality watermelon is absolutely safe for health. Poisoning watermelon can occur for two reasons.

причины отравления арбузом

  1. Increased nitrate content caused by improper use of nitrogen fertilizers. Fertilizers of this kind can accumulate in the soil, transfer to groundwater, concentrate in agricultural products, mainly in greenery, cucumbers and watermelons. Nitrogen contributes to the growth of green mass, so they are widely used to stimulate plant growth. In the human body, nitrates are converted into more toxic nitrites. The same process can be observed directly in the watermelon if it is stored incorrectly.
  2. Poisoning from watermelon, which as a result of disruption of integrity and prolonged or incorrect storage has accumulated harmful microorganisms. The pulp of watermelon contains a large number of nutrients, including easily digestible sugars, which are an excellent medium for microorganisms that cause fermentation.

Symptoms of poisoning with watermelon

When watermelon poisoning signs develop after 2-6 hours after eating it in food. These include:

  • спазм в животе nausea, rarely vomiting;
  • diarrhea (up to 10-15 times a day);
  • abdominal pain, spasms;
  • weakness;
  • dizziness, headaches;
  • temperature increase.

In severe cases, poisoning with watermelon symptoms indicate a violation of cardiac activity: a drop in blood pressure, palpitation, shortness of breath. Nitrites disrupt the transfer of oxygen by blood and the processes of tissue respiration. Under their influence, the vessels expand, which further aggravates the state of hypoxia (lack of oxygen). Blue lips, nail bed are observed. Cramps may occur. At a high concentration of nitrates, a strong lesion of the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines, the appearance of impurities in the feces of the body (the chair acquires a chocolate almost black shade). Also a threatening sign is the yellowness of the eye proteins, which indicates liver damage.

First aid and treatment

At an easy or a light; a mild degree of disease to cope with it or him it is possible at home. What to do when poisoning watermelon first? Take measures to remove the poison from the body and neutralize it in the intestine.

  1. лечение отравления Rinse the stomach. To do this, drink a large amount of warm salted water or a slightly pink solution of potassium permanganate, then provoke vomiting. Repeat the procedure once or twice until clear water comes out.
  2. After cleansing the stomach, take enterosorbents - drugs that neutralize poisons in the lumen of the intestine. It can be activated carbon, Polysorb MP, Enterosgel, Smecta.
  3. To stimulate the excretion of toxins in the urine, and also to prevent dehydration, it is necessary to drink as much liquid as possible.
  4. After stopping nausea, drink sweet tea with lemon.
  5. Do not take painkillers and antidiarrhoeals - they mask the true state of the body and prevent the removal of toxins from the intestine.

When there are threatening symptoms: vomiting is uncontrollable, severe persistent diarrhea, disruption of the cardiovascular system, confusion - you should seek medical help.

Treatment of nitrate poisoning in the hospital includes the neutralization of methaemoglobin, oxygen therapy, the use of cardiac drugs and hepatoprotectors for the liver.

Poisoning watermelon in a child

арбуз и ребенок Poisoning watermelon in a child is more severe than in adults. Children have a small amount of blood, underdeveloped mechanisms of detoxification, fast dehydration occurs. Children under one year are not recommended to give watermelon in principle, nor should it be abused by this product to nursing mothers, since nitrates easily pass into breast milk. Older children are given a watermelon in small quantities - 100-150 grams.

Symptoms of poisoning with watermelon can occur within two days after eating it. Just like adults, children react with nausea and vomiting, diarrhea. In severe cases, lips and nails become blue, cardiopulmonary insufficiency develops. Often the symptoms in children resemble toxic pneumonia.

When signs of poisoning appear, measures need to be taken:

  • induce vomiting by watering a child with one of the solutions: warm saline (2-4 tsp salt per glass of water), mustard (1-2 tsp powder to a glass of warm water), mild soapy (give about a quarter cup);
  • Vomit not to cause, if there are disturbances of consciousness;
  • children older than five years to wash the stomach - give a large amount of fluid, then force to snatch;
  • to water a child with a mineral water without gas or special solutions of the "Regidron" type (in small portions, so as not to cause vomiting again);
  • give any enterosorbent;
  • to make an enema.

Do not give the child painkillers (they mask surgical diseases), but with severe spasms you can use "No-shpu".

If within 2 hours the child's condition has not improved, then you need to see a doctor.

Poisoning with watermelon during pregnancy

арбуз и беременность Watermelon is useful in pregnancy - it contains water, light sugars, trace elements and vitamins. Its use removes nausea, eliminates constipation, heartburn, promotes less swelling of the legs. Pregnant women should not eat a watermelon with black bread, as well as with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.

If the poisoning of watermelon occurred during pregnancy , what to do in this case? It is necessary to take measures to provide first aid and to see a doctor. The main danger for the fetus is the state of oxygen shortage, for the mother - a thickening of the blood, which can lead to thrombosis. It is necessary to monitor the replenishment of fluid in the body.

Prevention of poisoning with watermelon

To avoid poisoning, you need to adhere to some rules.

  1. Before cutting a watermelon, it should be washed with warm water and soap, and then rinsed with boiling water.
  2. Do not cut the watermelons when buying, so as not to infect it with microbes.
  3. профилактика отравления арбузом The color of the pulp of a quality watermelon is from pink to red. Yellow veins and white seals, cyanotic color are signs of chemicals.
  4. The structure is normal flesh - with grains, sparkles on the cut. Suspicious flesh smooth, veined, fibrous.
  5. If you drop a piece of pulp into the water, it just becomes cloudy. If chemicals are present, the water will turn pink.
  6. Sliced ​​watermelon is stored in the refrigerator for no more than a day.
  7. Nitrates and nitrites accumulate in large quantities in the skin and in the flesh under it. So do not eat the flesh directly at the crust.

It should also be borne in mind that the chances of poisoning watermelon with nitrates are much higher in July (early harvest), and at the end of the season it is more likely to suffer from fermented berries.

So, we figured out if it's possible to poison the watermelon and why it happens. At an easy or a light; a mild degree of disease it is possible to lead treatment in house conditions. To do this, it is necessary to clean the stomach of food, take enterosorbents and make up for the loss of fluid. If cardiac activity is disturbed, blurred consciousness, convulsions - you should immediately go to an ambulance.

loading...