Poisoning with gasoline for modern man is quite an urgent problem. The risk of being in the role of the injured exists both in the employee of an oil refinery or in a gas station, or in a housewife, who started repairs using gasoline as a solvent.
Therefore, it is necessary to know the signs of such poisoning with various ways of penetrating it into the body, and how to give the person first aid in poisoning with gasoline. About this and talk.
The properties of gasoline and its possible impact on humans
Gasoline is widely used in industry and in everyday life, and first of all, as a fuel for cars and all kinds of equipment. Due to its properties, it is also used as a solvent for fats and varnishes, rubber and paints.
At moderate temperatures it is able to evaporate easily. Its vapor accumulates in the lower layers of the air in the room, due to the higher density compared to air.
The toxicity of gasoline is determined by the type and quantity of hydrocarbons with a narcotic effect, the most dangerous of them are aromatic hydrocarbons.
Given its volatility, gasoline poisoning occurs mainly when penetrating the body through the respiratory tract. No less important way of getting through - through the skin and mucous membranes, as a fat thinner. It is not excluded receipt through the food tract.
Depending on the concentration (dose) of gasoline and the time of its exposure to humans, acute and chronic poisonings of varying severity arise.
Symptoms of acute and chronic gasoline poisoning
In the case of relatively brief inhalation of low concentrations, symptoms of poisoning with light and medium-weight gasoline vapor are observed, similar to alcohol intoxication:
- mental excitement by the type of euphoria and causeless laughter;
- weakness and redness of the skin;
- dizziness and uncertain gait;
- irritation of mucocutaneous airways;
- possibly, nausea and vomiting;
- frequent pulse (tachycardia) and palpitation.
In case of severe poisoning the patient:
- there is no consciousness;
- the temperature rises to 40 ° C;
- sometimes there are convulsions - tonic and clonic, tendon reflexes increase;
- the appearance of hallucinations is not ruled out.
Lightning-like form of poisoning occurs at high concentrations of gasoline in the air of the work area (accidents and spills, cleaning of large storage tanks), characterized by a sharp loss of consciousness and sudden stopping of breathing.
"Gasoline pneumonia" occurs as a result of getting this fuel into the lungs when trying to drain out of the tank and sucking it into the hose. This condition is manifested by symptoms:
- pain in the side of the affected lung and cyanosis of the skin;
- Dyspnoea with physical exertion, in a serious case - at rest;
- cough accompanied by rusty sputum (presence of blood in the sputum);
- violation of the general state with rising temperature.
In case of accidental ingestion of gasoline and ingestion of it into the stomach, there is a repeated vomiting in abundant quantities and a loose stool, the victim complains of abdominal pain, liver damage as noninfectious hepatitis is possible - the liver is enlarged and painful, in combination with icteric skin and mucous membranes, weakness.
Symptoms of chronic poisoning with gasoline occur with prolonged operation under conditions of constant influence and are manifested:
- disorders of the nervous system with signs of hysteria or neurasthenia;
- complaints of persistent fatigue, decreased performance and weakness;
- The pressure drops, sleep is disturbed and the ability to recognize odors is reduced;
- disruption of the food tract;
- in women there are violations of reproductive function - problems with the menstrual cycle.
Long-term contact of gasoline with the skin causes the development of eczema or there is acute inflammation.
Gasoline substance abuse refers to a dangerous phenomenon among adolescents. They inhale his couples for a sense of euphoria and hallucinations. Its characteristic features are rapid accustomedness, damage to the nervous system with irreversible damage to the intellect in a short time. If you do not stop the so-called entertainment in the initial stage, the child becomes disabled.
First aid for poisoning with gasoline
What should I do if I get gasoline poisoning? First aid in this poisoning is in the following activities:
- remove the victim from a room saturated with vapors of gasoline;
- ensure fresh air intake;
- organize a warm drink, no lower than body temperature, in sufficient quantity to more quickly remove toxins;
- wrap the patient with a blanket, taking into account the increased need for warmth;
- it is recommended to take activated charcoal.
At a severe degree of poisoning and weak breathing, an oxygen pillow should be used.
Rinse the stomach should you get gasoline into the food path, the procedure is carried out using a probe to obtain a clean wash water. The vegetable oil and / or the activated carbon solution are then introduced through the probe.
Treatment with gasoline poisoning
In case of severe poisoning with gasoline, treatment is recommended to be carried out in a hospital, which includes:
- bed rest;
- a diet enriched with vitamins - C, PP, B1, and minerals - preparations of calcium, iron;
- detoxification therapy - intravenous injection of solutions of glucose, isotonic solution;
- symptomatic therapy - with liver and kidney damage, is aimed at restoring their function.
An easy degree of poisoning after consultation and obtaining the results of laboratory tests does not require hospitalization.
Preventive measures are aimed at compliance with safety regulations:
- ensuring effective ventilation (ventilation) both at enterprises and in the home;
- use of personal protective equipment (gas masks, gloves);
- regular medical examinations of persons working with gasoline and its derivatives;
- temporary suspension from production with harmful conditions or transfer to safer work.
Thus, knowing about the likelihood of poisoning with gasoline vapors, precautions should be taken in dealing with it. In case of poisoning, follow the example algorithm described above. It is equally important to monitor the behavior of "difficult" adolescents and at the first suspicion of poisoning, immediately check their validity.