Poisoning with celandine
Purity is an unpretentious plant that occurs almost everywhere. Since ancient times, its known healing properties. In folk medicine, grass and milky juice are widely used. On their basis, drugs are manufactured.
If used improperly or accidentally, poisoning with celandine may occur. Therefore, lovers of alternative medicine, as well as everyone else, need to know in which case poisoning with celandine can occur, how it manifests itself and what to do if symptoms of intoxication have appeared. About this and talk.
What is dangerous celandine
The celandine contains a lot of useful substances:
- organic acids;
- essential oils;
- ascorbic acid;
So, what is dangerous then? The danger is represented by alkaloids, which are the strongest poisons.
- Homochelidonin significantly reduces local pain sensitivity, causes seizures.
- Helerythrin has a strong local irritation.
- Sanguinarin acts as a drug, causes strychnine-like convulsive syndrome, stimulates peristaltic activity of the intestine and the formation of saliva. Has analgesic and locally irritating effect.
- Protopin suppresses the activity of the autonomic nervous system and leads to the tone of the uterus in women.
- Helidonin is similar to morphine. Causes local anesthesia, depression of consciousness and paralysis of the nervous system. As a result of an overdose, severe convulsions are observed.
These compounds are the cause of the appearance of the corresponding signs of poisoning with celandine.
In what cases is it possible to poison celandine
Traditional medicine offers many ways to use celandine. Most often, roots, leaves and stems are used externally for the treatment of skin diseases. The juice of the plant effectively fights against warts, calluses and condylomata, is used for eye diseases in the form of drops. Taking celandine is recommended for pathology of the gastrointestinal tract and kidneys.
Traditional medicine also uses preparations based on celandine, including for the treatment of cancerous tumors. Drugs are taken in the form of broths, water and alcohol infusions - externally or inward. Juice is suitable only for topical application. Sometimes oil is used.
Since the celandine has active cauterizing, cleansing properties and because of the presence of strongest poisons in it, when the dosage is exceeded, it is easy to get poisoning by it. Most often, poisoning causes tincture of celandine, which contains a large concentration of active substances.
Causes of poisoning with celandine:
- Use celandine for treatment alone, on the advice of friends, without consulting a doctor;
- excess of the permissible dose;
- random intake of drugs or milky juice, for example, children.
Symptoms of celandine poisoning
The toxic alkaloids present in the plant cause the following symptoms of celandine poisoning:
- nausea and vomiting;
- abdominal cramping pain;
- involuntary departure of the stool;
- marked general weakness;
- pallor and increased moisture of the skin;
- heart rhythm disorder;
- low blood pressure;
- labored breathing;
- oppression of consciousness;
- convulsive syndrome.
If the dose of the poison taken is large enough, then the consciousness may be absent. Possible death as a result of cessation of cardiac activity!
Emergency care for poisoning with celandine
The first aid for poisoning with celandine is to carry out standard emergency measures.
The first thing to do is call an ambulance.
- Assess the condition of the victim: conscious or not.
- In the absence of consciousness, you need to check your pulse and breathing. If there are no signs of life, then resuscitation is carried out, using breathing from mouth to mouth and indirect cardiac massage.
- If the person is unconscious, but there is a pulse, then it must be laid on one side.
- Create complete peace, unbutton clothing, embarrassing breathing.
- It is necessary to get rid of the remains of a toxic substance that have not yet entered the bloodstream. In the case when the poison has got into the body through certain areas of skin or mucous membranes, this place should be rinsed with plenty of water. If the toxic substance has got through the mouth, while the victim is conscious - it is required to rinse the stomach. You can use ordinary water with the addition of activated carbon or a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Ideally, the washing should be done through a probe. But this is not always possible.
- After the procedure of gastric lavage, it is worth taking a salt laxative. For this, magnesium sulphate is suitable. One packet containing 20 mg of the substance, dissolve in a glass of water, is better warm, and drink. Suitable and Karlovy Vary salt, one tablespoon of which is dissolved in half a glass of water. Sodium sulfate in a dose of up to 30 grams is diluted in water and drunk in a single dose.
- It is necessary to take sorbents. In the home medicine cabinet there is always activated charcoal. Depending on the body weight, two to three tablespoons of the drug dissolved in one or two glasses of water are required. If the spoon is not, then simply take 8-10 tablets, washing down with water. You can drink strong tea, which contains tannin, which has the ability to bind toxic substances.
- Be sure to drink plenty of fluids to get rid of the poison as quickly as possible.
Treatment for severe poisoning with celandine is carried out in a hospital. It is based on the restoration of cardiovascular activity, elimination of vascular and cardiac failure, purification of the body of poison. The victim, if he has not come to consciousness, continues to bring in feelings.
In the absence of self-breathing, ventilation is performed (artificial ventilation of the lungs).
- The means are used to increase blood pressure and normalize the heart.
- If there is a convulsive syndrome, then there is a need for anticonvulsant drugs.
- A forced diuresis is carried out to accelerate the excretion of poison from the body, for which large volumes of liquid and diuretics are administered.
All victims are hospitalized, where intensive care continues.
How to avoid poisoning
In order not to become a victim of self-treatment, the following recommendations should be observed.
- Take medications based on celandine only on the advice of a doctor.
- Strictly observe the dosage when using medicinal forms intended for ingestion.
- Keep the poisonous substance out of the reach of children, in a container with information on what is contained therein.
- If there are small children - do not grow the plant on private plots.
Purity is a wonderful and useful plant! But before you start to treat them, it is well understood, than it can threaten and what to do with poisoning with celandine. If symptoms of an overdose are noticed on time, then serious complications can be avoided. But it is better not to bring up to the use of a poisonous plant and preparations based on it - it is reasonable to approach it.