Is it possible to poison with dichlorvos

травление насекомых диклофосом Means from insects have firmly entered our daily life. Some use them to destroy pests in orchards and gardens, others buy to get rid of parasites in the apartment - bugs , flies, cockroaches.

Since Soviet times, the most effective and universally used drug is dichlorvos. He was so popular that he firmly entered the folklore and from the name of the chemical became a common name. What means are hidden behind this name, whether it is possible to poison with dichlorvos and how to render first aid at an intoxication?

What is dichlorvos

Before considering the symptoms and treatment of dichlorosus poisoning, let's find out what modern manufacturers are hiding behind this brand. Few people know that dichlorvos (DDVF) as such has been banned for use in Russia for a long time. This once popular insecticide, belonging to the class of organophosphorus compounds, had a number of undeniable advantages:

виды диклофоса

  • quickly acted on all kinds of insects and ticks;
  • poisoned parasites when ingesting poison, inhaling vapors and contact action;
  • was relatively low-toxic for warm-blooded animals and humans;
  • decomposed well in the environment;
  • is not toxic to plants, and the waiting period after treatment is 2-5 days.

But, along with the positive qualities of the old dichlorvos, there were shortcomings which, with the advent of new generations of insecticides, became increasingly evident.

  1. диклофос обработка помещения фото Treatment in the room required a long exposure and careful ventilation.
  2. Poisoning with dichlorvos was still possible, since the drug belongs to organophosphorus compounds, which cause serious disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system.
  3. In closed premises, dichlorvos could be inhaled, and if ingested in the stomach, the average lethal dose of organophosphorous substances is 0.5-2 grams.

All this led to the replacement of the drug with insecticides from the group of pyrethroids and at present dichlorvos is excluded from the list of pesticides permitted for use.

All modern means for insects, called dichlorvos, contain, as a rule, permethrin and its derivatives. Often in the trade name along with the word dichlorvos there are prefixes - "Neo", "Super", "Eco" and others like that. Further, it is these means for the destruction of insects that we will consider in detail - in which cases they are capable of causing harm to health, how poisoning is manifested by them and what the treatment consists in.

Dichlorvos is harmful to humans

The composition of aerosol cans with the general name "Dichlophos" includes insecticides from the group of pyrethroids:

  • «Дихлофос» вред permethrin;
  • deltamethrin;
  • cypermethrin;
  • piperonyl butoxide.

And also auxiliary substances:

  • aliphatic hydrocarbons;
  • ethanol;
  • dimethylsulfoxide;
  • preservatives.
последствия отравления диклофосом
asthma attacks

All pyrethroids cause parasitism and death in insect pests a few hours after treatment. According to toxic effects on humans, they are referred to the third class of hazard, that is, to low-toxic substances. Getting into the body, permetrin are decomposed by the liver to safe metabolites. This means that poisoning with dichlorvos in pairs is unlikely, but still possible. Violation of the instructions for the use of insecticides leads to the accumulation of an excessive dose of toxin. With a high concentration of toxin indoors, edema of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract develops, the headache due to spasm of blood vessels, the poison enters the blood and acts on the liver, destroying the cells of hepatocytes.

There is evidence that in some people pyrethroids can cause short-term violations of peripheral innervation - facial paresthesia, hypersensitivity, ataxia. In people with allergies, the substance can provoke attacks of suffocation.

Do not allow the insecticide to enter the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. Work should be carried out in a well-ventilated area, while using rubber gloves. It is forbidden to drink, smoke and eat. After treatment, wash hands with soap, wash and rinse your mouth with water.

The effects of poisoning with dichlorvos may be significant in children and small animals, such as cats. Because of the small mass, there is a possibility of obtaining a large dose, especially if the liquid preparation is swallowed. In such cases, damage to the liver, kidneys, which leads to the emergence of chronic hepatitis and nephritis.

Symptoms of dichlorvos poisoning

симптомы отравления дихлофосом Poisoning with dichlorvos may occur as a result of inhalation of vapors, getting the drug on the skin and into the gastrointestinal tract. As already mentioned, pyrethroids in the human body quickly decompose into non-toxic substances. Nuisances threaten allergies, small children, pets (cats from all species are more sensitive to the effects of insecticides).

If the drug gets on the skin, a hypersensitive reaction is possible, which manifests itself by the following symptoms:

  • burning;
  • tingling;
  • allergic reactions - erythema, itching, swelling.

Signs of poisoning with dichlorvos by inhalation of vapors will be:

  • симптомы отравления дихлофосом фото headache;
  • irritation of the respiratory tract, cough;
  • rhinitis;
  • dizziness;
  • burning and itching of the face;
  • increase in body temperature to 38-39 ° C.

Symptoms occur within 2-3 days.

If the insecticide has got into the eyes, conjunctivitis develops - the mucous membrane turns red, tearing increases, the eye hurts and itches.

When poisoning with dichlorvosome, the symptoms in animals are more pronounced. This is due to the fact that pets are often treated with preparations against fleas, and they receive a significant dose. Developing aggressive behavior, which turns into convulsions, in severe cases, the animal falls into a coma and dies.

First aid for poisoning with dichlorvos

помощь при отравлении дихлофосом What to do if you are poisoned with dichlorvos? If there was an intoxication in pairs, then the victim is taken to fresh air, provide him with access to oxygen. The mouth is rinsed with water or a weak solution of baking soda. It is necessary to change clothes, wash open areas of the body and provide a person with bed rest.

If the poison has got into the stomach, first aid for poisoning with dichlorvos is as follows:

  • cause vomiting;
  • give an adsorbent;
  • 1-1.5 hours after the adsorbent, you can take a laxative on a salt basis - Glauber's salt, magnesium.

To quickly remove the poison from the body, drink plenty of fluids and observe a sparing diet.
If dichlorvos gets into the eyes, then they are washed with a large amount of water or saline solution, then the anti-inflammatory drug "Albucid" or other drops drip. With a strong reddening of the mucous membrane of the eyes and eyelids, it is necessary to consult an ophthalmologist.

Treatment for poisoning with dichlorvos

лечение при отравлении дихлофосом When poisoning with dichlorvos, special treatment is not required. It is sufficient to take measures to eliminate the substance from the skin or from the gastrointestinal tract. When allergic manifestations take the tablet "Suprastin" or "Tavegila", lubricate the damaged skin with antihistamine ointments with anti-inflammatory effect.

When poisoning with dichlorvoside in children younger than one year should consult a doctor for advice.

Let us summarize all of the above. Modern means against insects, on the packaging of which flaunts the name "Dichlophos" contain insecticides of a new generation from the group of pyrethroids. Dichlorvos as a chemical (DDVF) is currently banned from use and industry is not produced. Poisoning with pyrethroids can occur with a gross violation of processing rules and does not cause serious consequences. The headache, itching and burning of the skin develops, the body temperature rises. Allergic reactions from the side of the skin are possible.

What to do if you are poisoned with dichlorvos? Remove the toxin from the body - remove the victim to fresh air to wash the open areas of the body with water, if poison gets inside - cause vomiting, give enterosorbent and laxative. Patient provide bed rest. All symptoms go through 2-3 days, without any health consequences.