Is it possible to get poisoned by melon
In the middle and the end of the summer, there are increasing cases of melon poisoning. Doctors say that in most cases it’s not the melons that are to blame, but people who abuse this tasty and useful fruit.
How to recognize - have you simply eaten up or have been poisoned by a low-quality product? Indeed, indigestion can be obtained even with the use of good melon crops. How dangerous is melon poisoning and what to do in such cases?
To begin with, let's talk about what a melon is for the product, what is its benefit and in what cases eating this melon crop can be harmful to health.
What is the use of melon
Melon pulp contains many beneficial vitamins, macro-and micronutrients. These are vitamins of group B (including folic acid, which is important for pregnant women), A, C, E, rutin. Of the mineral elements are calcium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, iron and silicon.
These active participants in the exchange have a beneficial effect on the skin and its derivatives, strengthen blood vessels, increase immunity, improve blood formation and promote the production of hemoglobin.
The use of melon in small quantities stimulates the work of the kidneys and removes excess fluid , which prevents the development of edema. The pulp of the fruit contains a lot of fiber. In moderate doses, it improves intestinal motility, relieves constipation and normalizes the microflora of the gastrointestinal tract.
Who can not eat melon
On the other hand, due to the high content of nutrients and fiber, melon is a heavy product for the stomach. It is recommended to use it in the intervals between meals - 2 hours before or after another meal.
Is it possible to get poisoned by a good quality melon? If you mix it with alcohol, dairy products, drink cold water, it is very easy to provoke diarrhea and bloating in the intestines.
Who can not eat melon? Strict prohibition applies only to people with individual intolerance. Other categories should use this fruit with caution, limited to a few pieces - 100-200 grams per day. This is especially true of the following groups:
- suffering from gastric and duodenal ulcers;
- people with diseases of the urinary system, accompanied by edema;
- pregnant women with suspected preeclampsia.
In general, pregnant women are advised to eat no more than 200 grams of melon per day, since with large quantities the product retains fluid and develops edema.
It is impossible to give melon to small children, for the same reason it is impossible to eat its nursing mothers. High likelihood of poisoning with toxins, in addition, children under one year have no enzymes to fully digest this product. After one year of age, a small piece can be offered to a child, and children older than two years old can be offered 100–200 g per day.
Another question - is it possible to eat a melon after food poisoning? Since it is a product that is difficult to digest, the answer is no, this fruit cannot be consumed in any intestinal disorder.
Causes of poisoning
In addition to the problems caused by overeating with this product for digestion, melons can be poisoned in other cases. Most often it contains nitrates that accumulate in melon crops as a result of violation of agricultural practices.
In humans, nitrates go into nitrites and disrupt the permeability of oxygen and carbon dioxide, paralyzing tissue respiration. There is a lack of oxygen - hypoxia. Violated the work of the heart and brain. Blood pressure drops, which further aggravates the situation. Very sensitive to poisoning by nitrates and nitrites children, patients with signs of heart failure.
Another reason for which a melon can become a dangerous product is the reproduction in the pulp of bacteria that cause foodborne diseases. This can occur as a result of rotting of the fetus, improper storage, violation of the integrity of the peel.
Various pesticides and early ripening stimulants can also accumulate in the pulp. From the fact that the factor has become the cause of the product unsuitability depends on how long poisoning of the melons manifests itself.
Symptoms of various types of poisoning
When overeating this product heavy for the stomach, the first symptoms appear after 2 hours:
- heaviness in the stomach;
- increased gas formation.
Signs of poisoning with melon with a high content of nitrates develop after 6–8 hours:
- nausea, vomiting;
- diarrhea, sometimes mixed with chocolate-colored blood (a characteristic symptom of nitrate poisoning);
- stomach ache;
- blue nails and lips;
- abnormal liver function - pain in the right hypochondrium, bitter taste in the mouth, yellowness of the whites of the eyes.
In the case of microbial poisoning with melon, the symptoms will be non-specific - vomiting, diarrhea, fever.
First aid and treatment
When poisoning melon treatment includes the following steps.
- Induce vomiting and flush the stomach with a large amount of a weak pink solution of potassium permanganate or salted water.
- Take the sorbent - activated carbon, "Enterosgel", "Polysorb MP", "Smekta".
- Good cleans the intestine enema .
- After all activities, rest and bed rest are necessary.
Monitor the replacement of fluid loss. It is necessary to drink plenty of fluids, strong sweet lemon tea works well. For several days you need to follow a sparing diet.
With nitrate poisoning help recover:
- vitamin C;
- natural bread kvass;
In case of melon poisoning during pregnancy or in children under three years of age, it is better to play it safe and consult a doctor. Also, medical care is needed if there are signs of damage to the nervous system-cramps, loss of consciousness; or diarrhea does not stop within 24 hours, vomiting does not stop, blood pressure drops sharply, there are problems with breathing.
You can avoid melon poisoning by observing the following precautions:
- buy fruit only in season;
do not take spoiled and immature fruits, cut or damaged;
- choose melons with a pleasant aroma and uniform coloring of the peel;
- cut fruit stored in the refrigerator no more than a day.
To prevent the child from poisoning melon, do not allow him to eat a large amount, and teach small children to this product gradually.
Let's sum up. Melon is a useful product, but moderation should be exercised with it. Care should be taken to offer melon to children, do not abuse it to pregnant women, people with ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys and some other diseases. Melon poisoning can be a result of over-eating a high-quality product, as well as a consequence of the use of melons and gourds grown with improper use of fertilizers and pesticides.
Signs of poisoning will be common to all food toxicoses: vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain. In case of poisoning with a product with a high content of nitrates, the insufficiency of the cardiovascular system also develops, in severe cases, convulsions and loss of consciousness are possible.
In mild cases, treatment for poisoning with melons is standard - gastric lavage, enema, administration of enterosorbents, a sparing diet. If you experience severe symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor, especially if we are talking about young children or pregnant women.