Can I poison myself with Freon
Cooling element in refrigerators, filler for gas cartridges, solvents and for air conditioners - all these are the same substances - freons. They are so widely included in our lives that it is difficult to imagine a comfortable existence without them.
Useful in the economy and at the same time poisonous compounds are in things, life without which it is impossible today. Therefore, I want to know more about these fillers. Is Freon harmful in life and how to protect yourself from possible poisoning? Let's find out.
What is Freon?
By the term Freons mean a group of complex chemicals. This is a common name for saturated fluorine-containing hydrocarbons (except fluorine inside can be bromine and chlorine). In the countries of the former USSR, one can find another name - chladones, so it was customary to call these compounds. In the classification, there are three groups A, B, C and five classes of compounds, depending on the chemical composition. The first generation of freons is much more dangerous than the last.
The substances themselves are represented in the form of gaseous and liquid compounds without color and odor. What is their danger?
- Poisoning with freon is an extremely rare phenomenon and can only happen by accident. The danger is that even when there is a leak from a refrigerator or air conditioner, a person will not notice it because of the physical properties of these substances.
- Refrigerants of groups A and B of two classes poorly affect the ozone layer, thinning it. That is why it was decided to reduce their use in everyday life.
- In and of themselves, freons almost do not cause trouble. They need too much concentration in the environment, so that a person feels bad. But during combustion at a temperature of 250 ° C, phosgene is formed. The last connection is considered much more dangerous and during the war it was used as a military poison weapon.
Can I poison myself with freon? Yes, provided that there is a leak at the same time from all the equipment in the burning room. Or a person accidentally drinks liquid freon, or will be indoors without ventilation and inhaled gaseous substance.
Which devices contain freons
As already noted, these compounds are used in refrigeration plants. But the refrigerator is not the only thing with a dangerous filler inside. What else contains freons?
- This is the standard filler of modern air conditioners. Although it is practically impossible to poison the freon from the air conditioner.
- Freons are contained in solvents.
- They are used for the production of blowing agents widely used in construction.
- Propellants are created with the help of chladones (paint, mounting foam, varnishes and even shaving foam).
In all cooling devices Freons are isolated from the surrounding people and the leakage is only due to a production fault or after a stroke. In other products, freon is contained in negligible amounts and is poisoned more easily by the accompanying fillers. So is freon harmful to humans? In rare cases, with an unsuccessful combination of circumstances, poisoning can occur.
Symptoms of freon poisoning
What harm is Freon? This compound contains in its composition chemical elements, poisonous and irritating actions:
Such elements affect the respiratory system and subsequently the whole organism as a whole. The danger is that at low concentrations of these elements, poisoning can not be detected immediately. How does poisoning manifest itself?
- In small amounts, these chlorine-containing hydrocarbons lead to reddening of the conjunctiva of the eyes, soft palate and pharynx. Unpleasant feeling of tightness in the chest, shortness of breath and hoarseness of the voice - that's what threatens the person who breathed freon.
- In high concentrations, the symptoms of freon poisoning are more pronounced. There are pains in the chest, in the nasopharynx, dry cough, difficulty breathing. This is all accompanied by a cutting in the eyes and lacrimation, nausea and vomiting. A person is either too excited or depressed.
Then within 30 minutes, and in some cases 36 hours, a period of imaginary well-being begins. The person feels well. And if not taken measures to detoxify the body - develops edema of the lungs. At this time, you can observe the increase in symptoms: increased cough especially with inspiration, there is general weakness, headache, cyanosis of the face and mucous membranes. Breathing becomes superficial, chills occur, and when coughing foamy sputum appears in abundant quantities. Unfortunately, this stage of poisoning can end badly - the victim can die from paralysis of the respiratory muscles. But if the current is favorable, then from the second or third day, the reverse development of the disease begins.
- If the concentration of the substance in the air was too great or the injured person inhaled too much poison - a period of imaginary well-being is absent and an instant death occurs.
- Signs of poisoning freon, or, more precisely, a derivative of the combustion of freon - phosgene. A distinctive sign of the presence of phosgene in the air is the smell of pale hay. If inhaled, a person feels nauseated, weak. There is drooling, coughing and a feeling of sorrow in the throat.
- Fluorine and bromine containing freons act approximately the same way on the body, but fluoride acts more on the nervous system and breaks the rhythm of the heart.
First aid and treatment
What should I do if I get freon? It is important to explain to the victim that self-poisoning can not be cured. Given the existence of a period of imaginary well-being, a person may erroneously believe that the danger has passed. This may not only exacerbate the clinical picture in the future, but also lead to death. Therefore, you need to provide first aid:
- rinse the eyes, nose and mouth with running water;
- if the poison was swallowed - you need to do a gastric lavage through the probe;
- in the case of a troubled cough, use codeine and any other cough medication.
Then treatment of freon poisoning should be carried out only in a hospital. Use standard drugs to eliminate symptoms and ease of health: antiallergic drugs, painkillers, hormones, improving breathing and soothing. With the development of toxic edema of the lungs, oxygen inhalation is provided.
Is freon from the refrigerator harmful? No, modern equipment is trying to do with minimal danger to humans. But poor-quality products, violation of operating conditions or unforeseen circumstances can lead to a leak of freon. And then there is a danger of poisoning, which should not be feared. Timely appeal to specialists and a few days under the supervision of doctors will correct this.