Isoniazid poisoning in dogs
Poisoning dogs with isoniazid is an infrequent case, but all owners should know about this poison as much as possible. The peculiarity of the drug is that it is well absorbed into the blood and acts quickly and strongly. Perhaps, deliberate poisoning of animals by ill-wishers.
Timely application of a specific antivenom will help in time to react to the danger and eliminate the effects of poisoning.
When a dog can get poisoned
Isoniazid (Tubazid) is a drug for the treatment of tuberculosis. The tablets containing it are freely available. For humans and most animals, they are non-toxic, but for the representatives of the dog family, they present a serious danger. This is due to the lack of a specific enzyme that destroys the drug. There are reports that cats also suffer from poisoning with isoniazid, but for them the drug is dangerous in a much higher dosage.
The first sensational cases of mass death of dogs from isoniazid date back to 2003. Another scandal erupted in 2010, when the authorities of Donetsk and Lugansk regions used a drug to combat stray dogs. After a wave of protests from the side of animal advocates, the practice came to naught. To date, isoniazid poisoning in dogs can occur in places where the haters of animals - the so-called dognters - are activated, or if you accidentally eat your medication from your home medicine chest. Poisoners scatter lures with isoniazid in places of walking, especially advanced add to the poison and antiemetics. In this case, the protective reflex of getting rid of the harmful substance does not work.
Be careful when walking the pet, and if in your area there are reports of poisoned dogs, get in the pharmacy and keep on hand the antidote to Isoniazid - vitamin B6, or Pyridoxine.
Main Symptoms of Isoniazid Dog Poisoning
The drug is perfectly absorbed from the stomach and quickly enters the blood. The first symptoms of isoniazid poisoning in dogs occur within 30 minutes after eating poison bait:
- loss of coordination - wobbling, weakness of the legs, the dog "collapses" to one side;
- confusion of consciousness;
- copious salivation;
- convulsions caused by a metabolic disorder under the influence of poison;
- in severe cases - respiratory depression, prolonged convulsions, coma and death.
The cause is metabolic acidosis - a violation of the acid-base balance of the internal environment of the body. In severe poisoning, convulsions are prolonged and are not relieved by anticonvulsants.
First aid and treatment for dogs
The lethal dose of isoniazid for a dog is 50 mg per kilogram of live weight. Conventional human tablets contain 300 mg of the drug. Several tablets are enough for even a large dog to die. Therefore, if you have even the slightest suspicion, and the animal has specific signs of poisoning the dog with isoniazid, immediately enter into it an antidote.
- Antidote: Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) is sold in any human pharmacy in the form of a sterile injectable solution (1 or 5%) in 1 ml ampoules, is dispensed without a prescription. Enter intravenously in a dose equal to the amount of poison taken. If the amount of isoniazid is unknown, Pyridoxine is administered at a rate of 50 mg per kilogram of live weight. Or in an amount of 3-5 grams per animal (ie from 30 to 50 ml of 1% solution). If there is no possibility of intravenous injection, colitis with intramuscular injection. If there is convulsions, then injected for 5 minutes, and if they are absent - within half an hour. Seizures after injection usually stop, but the mind can remain confused for a while (several hours).
- Vitamin B6 is non-toxic even in large doses, so there will be no harm from it, even if suspected Isoniazid poisoning is not confirmed.
- Cause vomiting. To do this, use one of the following tools. Hydrogen peroxide 3% solution diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1, evaporated forcibly from the calculation of 1 tablespoon per 3 kg of dog weight. A solution of table salt or baking soda: 1 teaspoon is bred on a glass of water. A medium sized dog is enough to give half a glass, 200-250 ml of a solution are coarse with large rocks. All solutions are made on warm water.
- After the dog vomited, give substances that adsorb poison. Activated charcoal is evaporated from the calculation of 1-3 grams per kilogram of body weight. Tablets: Enterosgel, Polyphepanum, Enterosorb, Sorbex should be finely crushed and diluted in water. Powder is diluted in water to the state of jelly and poured 100-200 ml with a syringe in the corner of the mouth.
- Saline laxatives: Glauber's salt, magnesium sulfate, Carlsbad salt. You can use complex salt laxatives for people, sold in pharmacies.
- To maintain the work of the heart - Corvalol in a dose of 15 drops per 20 kg of weight.
Remember that a gag reflex can not be provoked with severe convulsions and loss of consciousness. It is also useless to induce vomiting and give a laxative, if it takes a long time after taking poison (more than 2 hours).
Deliver the dog to the veterinarian, the doctor will make intravenous injections to mitigate the effects of poisoning, prescribe symptomatic treatment, accelerate the excretion of decay products from the body.
If veterinary care is not available, it is advisable to place intravenously an IV with saline and glucose, or inject subcutaneously: 20-40 ml of saline and 5-10 ml of 5% glucose solution. For the removal of seizures, give Diazepam in a dose of 1 mg per kg of body weight.
When poisoning the dog with isoniazid, the symptoms may be similar to those of poisoning with other poisons. In any case, when unexplained seizures occur after a possible bait eating, it is recommended to induce vomiting, give an adsorbent and a laxative, to inject vitamin B6. And as soon as possible to provide your pet with qualified veterinary care.
Poisoning, perhaps, when eating animals any food on the street. Therefore, the best prevention is a well-bred dog. If you have not managed to overcome unwanted eating behavior by training, then walk your pet on a leash or muzzle.