Is smoking hookah harmful?
Modern methods of entertainment are trying to make as safe as possible for human health, or at least to present them as such. Replacing cigarettes with hookah, manufacturers publicly declare that there is almost no harm from them, because they have a system for cleaning smoke from harmful impurities.
Is this true and is it possible to poison with a hookah? How harmful are smoking blends? What other health risks are there in this mysterious subject?
The advantages of hookah
Many people prefer this type of tobacco smoking due to some differences from cigarettes. The advantages are as follows.
- Tobacco use through a hookah, it is believed that it is not addictive (if the mixture does not include narcotic substances).
- Cigarettes smoke much more often, the hookah is more bulky, you will not take it with you, you will not put it in your pocket.
- When smoking cigarettes, the smoke, harmful tar and other carcinogenic substances in it immediately enter the lungs. In the hookah, it passes through the liquid and many substances settle there without getting into the human respiratory system.
- As employees of institutions offering such entertainment assure, changing the mouthpiece will protect your health from diseases transmitted by saliva (hepatitis, herpes, acute infectious diseases).
A good alternative to cigarettes, isn't it? But is everything so simple? Is it harmful to smoke hookah? These are insignificant advantages compared to the harm to health that this type of smoking can cause.
Is it possible to poison with a hookah
Most often, such entertainment is offered among friends, while relaxing in a restaurant or in a club. This means that the device rarely undergoes an ideal treatment. Representatives of the organization offer a replaceable nozzle (mouthpiece) in the hope that this is quite enough for the prevention of diseases. But not only it can be harmful to health, each part of the hookah contains many life-threatening microorganisms:
- a hookah shaft, on the walls of which impurities are condensed;
- bowl for liquid;
- the smoking pipe itself.
Any of these parts, regardless of the material from which it was produced, should be treated daily with special solutions, sterilized, and the rubber tube through which smoke is inhaled should be rinsed after each use. But no organization cares about its customers enough to fulfill all these conditions all the time. Bad from a hookah can become after the first use, because on the walls, in addition to resins and condensate, microorganisms can be detected.
- Staphylococcus, in large quantities causing purulent inflammation of the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract.
- The fungus "Aspergill" is almost lightning-damaging to the lungs.
- Pseudomonas bacillus is a microorganism resistant to many antibiotics, leading to irreparable consequences, including kidneys.
In order for the disease to develop very quickly in a matter of hours, several important conditions are necessary:
- the number of pathogens should be the maximum for the appearance of the disease;
- a sharp decline in human immunity;
- it is necessary that a person smoked a hookah long enough; from two or three breaths, microbes will not have time to enter the body.
What kind of symptoms will appear in such an infectious poisoning with a hookah?
Infection with Aspergillus fungus will cause:
- shortness of breath;
- chest pains;
- severe weakness and nausea.
Staphylococcus causes diseases of the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract: tonsillitis, bronchitis, tracheitis.
The very next day after smoking a hookah a person can feel:
- severe headaches;
- feeling of aching joints.
Despite, the process of cleaning tobacco smoke through water, carcinogens and harmful tar still remain in it. Is it possible to poison with a hookah? Yes, the deterioration of health can be not only from microorganisms inside the system, but also from the smoke that people breathe. Only about 20–30% of harmful substances are deposited on the walls of the device, the rest dissolve in water and with small particles of liquid fall into the deeper layers of the respiratory system.
Hookah smoke contains the following pathogens for the body.
- Carbon monoxide or CO, its concentration after smoking a hookah, compared with one smoked cigarette, exceeds 10 or more times. Carbon monoxide intoxication while smoking hookah is one of the most frequent causes of acute hookah poisoning.
- Poisonous tar that appears from the effects of burning air on the tobacco mixture, which in addition to tobacco contains preservatives, flavors.
- Benzopropylene - hydrocarbon poison.
- Unknown substances that make up tobacco. In our country, since this type of smoking has so far been considered harmless - no one has studied the components of mixtures, except aromatic additives, they may contain other components that, when exposed to high temperatures, turn into poisons.
What to do if I hooked a hookah
When poisoning from hookah smoking, the following signs of poisoning appear:
- heart palpitations or tachycardias;
- severe weakness;
- in severe cases of seizures, a person may faint.
First aid after poisoning with a hookah is to ensure the access of oxygen to the affected person. To do this, it is necessary, if possible, to open all the windows and doors or carry a person to the street. Then you need to lay the victim, undo the tight clothes: remove the tie, belt, undo the top buttons of a blouse or shirt. You can not beat a person on the cheeks and independently bring him to feelings. Call for prompt medical attention immediately.
Treatment of hookah poisoning
What should I do if a person smoked a hookah, what to do in this case? First aid - to bring people to fresh air. Then you must immediately call the ambulance crew and try to quickly deliver the person to the hospital. Shortly before this, you can take a little tobacco mixture for further research.
What is the treatment for hookah poisoning? This is a symptomatic therapy:
- the introduction of "Unithiol" (antidote CO);
- stopping seizures, connecting the system with glucose, vitamin injections;
- providing oxygen inhalation;
- the use of hyperbaric oxygenation - oxygen saturation.
Is hookah smoking safe? No, even rare trips to the bar or to friends who have such a device may end badly. For poisoning, it is not necessary to smoke the whole evening without stopping or use forbidden mixtures. The harmful substances dissolved in the liquid from tobacco are absorbed by the lungs much faster, penetrate deeper and cause more damage. Poisoning is not only possible, it happens often, and the consequences of such entertainment can be very long.