Summer - it's time to travel to the sea, picnics and the period when you can actively relax with the whole family. At such moments, I want to pay more attention to people close to and those around you than cooking. Therefore, ready meals in cooking or in cafeterias snapped up. Grilled shashlik, sausage and chicken are the most frequently purchased products during the weekend.
What is dangerous food? During this period, the doctors of the infectious disease wards work in an enhanced mode, since the same chicken poisoning happens almost daily. But chicken meat is not only dangerous in summer. What illnesses can this product cause?
Causes of chicken meat poisoning
Chicken meat has always been considered a dietary product. It is primarily recommended for diseases of the digestive system due to the low fat content. Despite this, the protein is rich in minerals - phosphorus, iron, selenium, magnesium, calcium, copper, and B vitamins. In addition, it is an inexpensive pleasure from which you can cook many tasty dishes. Nevertheless, chicken meat poisoning happens quite often. And the cause is not only the human factor (dirty hands, violation of meat preparation technology), but also some processes that are not dependent on ourselves.
Causes of chicken protein poisoning:
- Salmonellosis is the most common disease that can be acquired by eating infected meat. Poultry and store products often contain Salmonella spp. Even a seemingly healthy bird can be a carrier of this dangerous intestinal infection, and in case of insufficient heat treatment it can infect a person.
- Infection with foodborne toxicoinfections. These infectious processes cause conditionally pathogenic microorganisms that are in the environment. In the case when the meat has been lying in a warm place for a long time and there has been the fact of infection, the bird becomes an extremely dangerous product. Even if it is thoroughly rinsed and cooked with many spices, the number of pathological bacteria will not decrease. So, it often happens that grilled chicken is purchased from a store.
- Recently, television is replete with information about all sorts of additives and fillers in products. Poultry is no exception. To increase the weight of the chicken it is pumped with liquids with substances that trap it inside. At the same time, they are a source of bacteria reproduction, and in some cases, an allergic component.
- Another dangerous moment that lurks every lover of chicken dishes - the meat of any bird often causes allergic reactions. For people who are prone to food allergies, such food can end in tears.
Symptoms of chicken poisoning
Symptoms of poisoning can be either very pronounced or minimal. It all depends on the number of pathogens in the meat, and the immunity of the body. What are the symptoms of chicken poisoning?
- If there is an infection with salmonellosis, nausea, repeated vomiting, indisposition, and pain in the stomach will disturb you in an easy case.
- Heavier lesions also include a pronounced pain symptom along the intestines, abundant indomitable vomiting, diarrhea (the chair may be green), abdominal distention, rumbling, a sharp increase in body temperature.
- In case of poisoning with rotten chicken, food poisoning can develop. It is characterized by an acute onset of general malaise, weakness, nausea, and frequent vomiting. Maybe an increase in body temperature to 38–39 ° C, but during the day it decreases to normal. There are cramping pain in the abdomen, liquid, watery stools. The cardiovascular system suffers: the heart rate decreases, pressure decreases, sometimes fainting occurs.
- With the development of allergic reactions on the human body appears rash from a small dot to a large inclined to merge, runny nose. In rare cases, it can cause choking and anaphylactic shock.
What to do when chicken poisoning
It is much easier to prevent a disease than to treat it. But if suddenly this situation happened, you need to act immediately.
- In case of poisoning with chicken, the doctors in the infectious diseases department should deal with it. Therefore, you need to contact the clinic for specialized assistance or hospital, call an ambulance. This is a severe course of poisoning.
- What can be done before the arrival of the doctors? You can wash the stomach with warm water at room temperature. If there is activated charcoal - you need to give an adult at least 8 tablets at a time.
- What to do in case of poisoning with chicken, if the symptoms are not pronounced, and the person feels moderately ill? It is necessary to completely stop the flow of chicken meat into the body and start symptomatic treatment. To do this, use solutions to compensate for the loss of fluid in the body, if there was vomiting and diarrhea. Prescribe antibiotics, drugs that protect the gastric mucosa from inflammation and substances that normalize the intestinal microflora.
- With the development of an allergic reaction, a strict diet and antihistamine (antiallergic) drugs are prescribed until the symptoms disappear.
Prevention of chicken poisoning
To avoid possible unpleasant complications after eating a poor-quality product, you need to learn how to choose a fresh bird and how to prepare it correctly. What you need to pay attention to?
- Do not forget to look at the expiration date.
- The skin of the chicken should be pale pink, smooth. Dry skin is a sign of stale product.
- When cut, the meat should be slightly moist, pink and without foreign smells.
- You can not buy a bird with a grayish tint and sticky mucus on the surface.
- Before cooking, soak the chicken for 1–2 hours in cold water to speed up the removal of fillers.
- To avoid the development of salmonellosis - boil meat for at least 40 minutes until fully cooked.
So is it possible to get chicken poisoned? Yes, stale chicken poisoning happens, but they can be avoided. To do this, do not rush to the windows with meat products and cook properly. Health and well-being of a person in most cases depend on an attentive attitude to what one has to eat.