Milk poisoning: causes, symptoms and treatment
Is it possible to get poisoned with milk and dairy products? Yes you can. Unfortunately, such cases occur in the life of almost every person or his environment.
Why is this happening? Let's deal with this issue.
Causes of milk poisoning
The reasons for the appearance of such troubles can be several. These are mainly factors related to the production and storage of milk. This includes a violation of sanitary and epidemiological norms, namely, infection of milk leads to:
- Poor cow care, including getting milk from an animal suffering from mastitis.
- Pustular skin diseases in personnel who have direct contact with milk. This also includes workers with overdue sanitary books.
- Inadequate milk testing or lack thereof.
- The risk of poisoning is very high when buying milk at illegal outlets. In this case, it is almost impossible to make sure that the rules for obtaining and storing milk are observed.
- Causes associated with improper storage or use of expired foods.
- Eating food prepared from poor-quality products, which does not imply heat treatment. For example, milkshakes or homemade ice cream.
The most common cause of the disease is milk contamination with staphylococcus, infection by other microorganisms is possible. Once in favorable conditions, pathogens do not waste time in vain, but begin to multiply and produce exotoxins - substances that damage intestinal cells and cause an increased production of fluid in the gastrointestinal tract, as well as enterotoxins. The latter along with food enter the human body.
Basically, milk poisoning provokes conditionally pathogenic flora, these are microorganisms that normally occur in the intestinal environment, but in minimal concentration. Their activity is suppressed by the normal intestinal flora. When favorable conditions arise for pathogens, when they are immediately ingested into the body with an already synthesized toxin, plus if this organism suffers from dysbacteriosis or another pathology of the gastrointestinal tract (which is not the key factor but an aggravating factor), the damage occurs relevant clinical manifestations.
Symptoms of food poisoning with milk
What makes you suspect poisoning with dairy products? First, the onset of symptoms later from 30 minutes to 24 hours after eating substandard food. Secondly, 90% of people who ate this product fall ill. That is, almost everyone will have similar symptoms. The severity of clinical manifestations is directly dependent on the amount of toxin ingested with food.
In case of poisoning with dairy products, the symptoms will be as follows:
- nausea, vomiting;
- abdominal pain of a spastic character;
- watery stools without impurities of mucus and blood, indicating an inflammatory process in the small intestine;
- sometimes there is a rise in temperature.
The disease usually lasts up to three days.
When medical care is needed:
- repeated vomiting;
- stools more than 10 times a day;
- temperature rise above 38.5⁰;
- the appearance of an impurity of mucus and blood in the stool;
- very severe abdominal pain;
- when there are chronic vascular diseases, gastrointestinal tract and others;
- symptoms last more than three days.
Milk poisoning in children
Toddlers are more susceptible to poor food, so poisoning in children with dairy products occurs faster than in adults. It so happens that everyone ate and only children were poisoned. What is the difference of poisoning in children from adults:
- babies develop dehydration quickly;
- more pronounced intoxication;
- more often than in adults rises t⁰.
First aid and treatment
What can be done at home?
- To prevent the action of a poisonous substance.
- Restoration of water and electrolyte metabolism and intestinal microflora.
- No more suspicious foods.
- Rinse the stomach several times. They do it as follows: dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in a liter of water. Then the resulting solution should be drunk and induce vomiting, pressing on the root of the tongue. Do this several times until the washings are clean.
- Take a sorbent. For example, activated carbon at the rate of 250 mg per 10 kg of weight.
- To avoid dehydration, dilute and drink a little every 30 minutes. Regidron or any other means of restoring the water-salt balance in the body.
- With increasing t повыш take antipyretic medication.
In case of poisoning with dairy products, treatment can be carried out on an outpatient basis (in polyclinic conditions) in mild cases. With moderate and severe course - in a hospital.
Indications for hospitalization:
- the development of complications;
- development of dehydration, when it is necessary to replenish fluid loss by intravenous drip;
- severe concomitant pathology;
- There is a suspicion of another infectious disease with similar symptoms.
Complications of milk poisoning
When milk poisoning in rare cases, it is possible that the development of complications:
- dehydration with the development of shock;
- acute heart failure resulting from an imbalance of potassium in the blood;
- toxic shock.
Who more often develop complications? In case of milk poisoning, symptoms of complications can occur in weakened people suffering from many chronic diseases, as well as in people with reduced nutrition (when the body mass index is less than 18).
Prevention of poisoning with dairy products
The enterprises should have strict control over the observance of sanitary and epidemiological norms:
- inspection of dairy enterprises for compliance with sanitary and epidemiological measures;
- the presence of all workers who have contact with milk sanitary records with the results of timely periodic surveys;
- identification and control of employees in case of pustular skin diseases;
- periodic examination of cows for mastitis.
What can everyone do for preventive purposes?
- Do not buy milk in questionable places and on the market.
- Store milk in the refrigerator for no longer than the prescribed period and do not eat it when it expires.
- Watch out for t⁰ in the fridge, it should not be above 5⁰.
- Compliance with the general rules of storage of dairy products.