Despite the fact that hydrogen sulphide in nature is rare, in the human environment, it is very common. With hydrogen sulphide a person encounters everywhere: in the house, at work, in small concentrations, this compound is even in the intestine. Avoiding his presence in life is impossible, and it's easy to poison yourself.
In what cases is poisoning caused by a sulfur compound? Anyone has the opportunity to encounter such a substance or is it a matter of chance? And how to remove hydrogen sulphide from the body when you accidentally use it?
How is hydrogen sulfide formed
Hydrogen sulphide is a gas with a characteristic odor. The natural connection of two parts of hydrogen and one part of sulfur is in deep layers of sea water, in volcanic waste, in some natural sources:
- associated petroleum gases;
- natural gas.
Hydrogen sulphide is produced by prolonged decay of proteins. This substance is difficult with something to confuse - it has the smell of rotten eggs.
In human life such a chemical compound is often found.
- Hydrogen sulphide is a by-product of smelting of pig iron, viscose and cellulose production, asphalt production.
- It is formed in laboratories when obtaining salts of silver and copper, so laboratory technicians have a great chance of getting poisoning with hydrogen sulfide.
- This gas appears in the sewage water when they are cleaned.
- The normal content of intestinal gases in the human body is 0.1-0.5 liters of which the trace concentrations fall on the share of H2S, which is the norm and does not harm the person at all. But with an excess of protein foods and with stagnant phenomena in the digestive system, its concentration rises several times, which negatively affects not only the intestine. The first help with such a poisoning with hydrogen sulfide is in the right diet.
- Various sulfur compounds, including hydrogen sulphide, can be present in the composition of dyes.
- In medicine, this substance is widely used as a component of one of the physiotherapeutic methods of treatment - hydrogen sulphide baths.
Hydrogen sulfide baths are good and bad
One of the effective physiotherapeutic methods of treatment is the use of mineral waters containing hydrogen sulphide. Depending on the concentration of the substance, they can be weakly, mediumly and strongly sulphide (from 10-50 mg / l to 250 mg / l of substance and higher). People, often resorting to such help, are concerned about the safety of such methods of treatment. Benefits and harms of hydrogen sulfide baths have long been studied by health workers.
Hydrogen sulphide baths will perfectly help with many pathologies, including:
- with skin diseases;
- diseases of the nervous system;
- endocrinological pathology;
- cardiovascular processes.
Poisoning does not occur at these concentrations, but complications may occur in people with respiratory system diseases, pulmonary tuberculosis, after repeated myocardial infarction, and kidney disease.
Symptoms of hydrogen sulfide poisoning
A person almost daily encounters such a sulfur compound. Despite the pronounced persistent smell, the body quickly gets used to it, not noticing the presence of this substance in the environment. This is also dangerous hydrogen sulphide.
In what concentration will the gas affect a person negatively? In small amounts of harm, it does not cause. But already in the concentration of hydrogen sulfide in the inspired air of about 0.01% and higher - there are symptoms of damage to the digestive system and the suppression of the nervous. In an amount of more than 0.05%, there is a sharp deterioration in the work of all systems of human organs and lightning death may occur (in case of contact with it, 30 minutes or more).
The ingestion of hydrogen sulfide occurs when the sulfur compound is inhaled while working with it, if safety rules are not followed.
What are the signs of hydrogen sulfide poisoning?
- When inhaled, drooling, runny nose, itching in the nose.
- Especially dangerous is the ingress of poison into the eyes. Vapors cause eye swelling, pain and flushing of the conjunctiva, corneal opacity and iris damage. After poisoning for a while, there may be photophobia. Large concentrations of the substance can subsequently lead to blindness.
- If the product has got on the skin - depending on the concentration of the substance appears redness or burns of 2-3 degrees. People with extensive burns develop shock.
- Harmful to hydrogen sulfide and other systems, it affects the human body in the following way: when ingested, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, frustration, throat pain, chest pain, constant cough develop. As a rule, develops bronchitis, often with a cough of bloody sputum. In rare cases, there may be bronchopneumonia.
- Other symptoms of hydrogen sulfide poisoning include fatigue, headaches, dizziness, stunning or arousal, lowering blood pressure, fever, fainting.
- Severe poisoning proceeds according to the type of "convulsive" coma: rapid loss of consciousness with convulsions, severe inhibition of reflexes, impaired breathing and circulation. Death comes from paralysis of the respiratory musculature.
With a favorable current of the coma is replaced by motor excitement and deep sleep.
First aid and treatment for hydrogen sulfide poisoning
What to do when poisoning with hydrogen sulfide?
Antidote of hydrogen sulfide is 1% solution of methylene blue, 50-100 ml of which is administered intravenously. Since this substance is not in the first aid kit for everyone, it is possible to provide first aid to the victim with poisoning with hydrogen sulfide in the following way.
Remove the person from the alleged poisoning site.
- Release it from the tight clothes: remove the tie, unbutton the shirt, blouse.
- If possible, it is necessary to perform inhalation with oxygen.
- Rinse mucous membranes with running water for 10 minutes. Bury in the eyes 0, 5% solution of "Dicain".
- If the poison has got inside - it is necessary to make a lavage of the stomach with warm water.
- At the time of care, you must immediately call an ambulance to quickly deliver the person to the intensive care unit. With severe poisoning, improvised methods will not help.
- Treatment of severe poisoning with hydrogen sulfide is carried out only in a hospital. Introduce antihistamines, analgesics, hormonal substances. If the work of the respiratory system is disrupted, oxygen inhalations and correction of vital organ systems are performed depending on the indications.
Even with a slight poisoning with a sulfur compound, you can get a whole bunch of unpleasant complications. The consequences of poisoning with hydrogen sulfide can affect primarily the respiratory system and the organs of vision. Bronchitis and decreased visual acuity are the minimal problems that threaten if a person's behavior is wrong. Therefore, in any case, it is worth asking for help from specialists.