Poisoning with pickled cucumbers
Food poisoning by domestic canned food and marinades according to statistics are not too frequent, nevertheless they must be treated with special attention. Let's try to figure out whether it is possible to poison pickled cucumbers?
The fact is that marinating vegetables at home occurs in conditions incomparable in terms of sanitary and hygienic characteristics with industrial ones. Banks are sterilized over steam or boiled water, products are washed with ordinary running water. In short, it is impossible to achieve complete sterilization.
Causes of poisoning with pickled cucumbers
The consequences of using home marinades can be deplorable. To a greater extent, this applies to vegetables, for example, poisoning with salted cucumbers is registered more often, and the reasons for such poisoning can be different.
Accumulation of pesticides in vegetables
Agricultural pesticides for the destruction of pests, can be organic and inorganic, contain dangerous chlorine, phosphorus, metals, etc.
Accumulating initially in soil and water, then pesticides pass into plants, and from them to humans. Poisoning by pesticides annually takes about forty thousand lives.
Fertilizers for vegetables
Potassium or ammonium nitrate is an excellent fertilizer for all plant species. Getting into the soil, nitrogen is released, necessary for crops for intensive growth and cell division. The more fertilizer, the faster the vegetables grow, the greater the volume and weight will be fruits, and, consequently, it becomes possible to collect a good crop 2-3 times a year and thereby increase the profit from the sale.
This is used by unscrupulous farmers, fertilizing the soil with an incredible amount of saltpetre. As a result, nitrogen accumulates in root crops, and the use of such vegetables becomes extremely dangerous. Nitrate food poisoning occurs.
Poorly washed vegetables can contain botulinum toxin and staphylococcus, which, under certain conditions, produce toxic toxins that lead to serious food poisoning.
Heavy metal salts
Cucumbers grown in close proximity to motorways may contain salts of heavy metals, in particular lead. They accumulate in the body causing poisoning.
Signs of poisoning
Depending on the cause, the symptoms of cucumber poisoning will be slightly different from each other. The onset is approximately the same and is characterized by the following symptoms:
- pain in the abdomen (heaviness or rezi may appear 1-5 hours after eating salted cucumbers);
- nausea and vomiting (follow the pains);
- diarrhea (sometimes);
- headache, dizziness, decreased pressure and tachycardia;
- cold sweat, pallor, dry mouth, severe weakness may be signs of dehydration;
- increase in temperature (more often with poisoning by pathogenic bacteria).
Gradually, the symptoms associated with a certain type of poisoning can be attached to the clinical picture.
Symptoms of nitrate poisoning
More often poisoning with cucumbers is caused by poisoning with nitrates, or botulism.
To defeat the body nitrates are characterized by the formation in the blood of methemoglobin, unable to carry oxygen. As a result, hypoxic fasting of all organs and tissues develops.
Light nitrate poisoning
For easy nitrate poisoning:
- there is a cyanosis of the skin;
- dizziness and headache;
- light disorientation in space.
The symptoms pass independently without treatment after 1-2 days.
Poisoning by nitrates of moderate severity
Due to oxygen starvation cyanosis increases, cyanosis appears mucous, dizziness and frustration increase, shakiness is possible during walking, inhibited speech and thinking, shortness of breath, tachycardia.
Severe nitrate poisoning
The skin acquires a dark blue color, various neurological disorders appear, a sharp excitement, vomiting, and then stupor and coma.
Poisoning pickled cucumbers with nitrates is usually easy and does not require symptomatic treatment. All signs pass independently.
Signs of botulism poisoning
Often, infectious disease doctors register cases of botulism when eating salted cucumbers. Canned food and marinades - a favorite place for toxin botulism. A pathogenic microorganism develops in the absence of oxygen and releases gas during its life activity. It is important to remember that in no case can you use pickled cucumbers with a swollen lid!
Specific symptoms of poisoning with pickled cucumbers when botulinum toxin enters them are characterized by:
- impaired vision, double vision;
- difficulty swallowing;
- defeat of the respiratory muscles and respiratory distress, shortness of breath;
- weakness in all muscle groups;
- in severe cases, breathing may stop.
Poisoning with pickled cucumbers due to ingestion of pesticides or salts of heavy metals is extremely rare and it is almost impossible to distinguish it from other poisonings. Often asked a question, and whether it is possible to poison the salted cucumbers bought in shop? It is possible, but still the risk of poisoning by house marinades is higher.
When poisoning with cucumbers, symptomatic therapy is performed. With a slight degree of poisoning, the stomach is washed with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, enterosorbents are used:
- Activated carbon;
Such measures are quite enough to improve the condition.
With a more severe course, hospitalization is indicated. In the hospital for the removal and neutralization of toxin is also carried out:
- gastric lavage;
- forced diuresis;
- parenteral administration of solutions of sodium chloride, potassium mixture, vitamin C.
When nitrates are poisoned intravenously, injection of methylene blue is indicated to accelerate the breakdown of methemoglobin and a course of injecting vitamin C in a large dose. When botulism introduce a specific serum.
Prevention of poisoning with pickled cucumbers
Prevention is the careful processing of cucumbers and utensils before canning at home.
Buy vegetables only in the season of their growth, then the risk of poisoning with nitrates will be minimal. Be sure to observe the conditions and terms of storage of marinades, do not eat spoiled canned food.