In the fall of 2014, a wave of the country swept mass spice poisoning. A significant part of the victims were teenagers and young people. It is at this age that a lack of life experience and unhealthy curiosity is felt. So what is spice and how is it dangerous for the body?
Currently, spice is called a smoking mixture with a narcotic effect. Initially, these were herbal and herbal compositions, then they began to produce chemical-impregnated spices. The composition of smoking mixes is completely unpredictable, and the dosage is made by eye. Sometimes spices are called “designer” drugs, as the composition of the mixture often changes. In this case, consumers of the goods act as guinea pigs.
Where did spice come from
In Russia, smoking mixtures of poisoning have been observed since 2008. These were the first generation spices, they were imported from Europe. Addiction to them was developing poorly, in many ways those spices were comparable to marijuana. In large cities, the number of victims of such mixtures was approximately 5% of the number who applied for drug treatment. A year and a half later, after banning such mixtures, the psychotropic drug JWH-18 was synthesized in the USA, and after it was banned, a wave of analogues from China began.
Spices are widespread, they are completely traded with impunity anywhere in the country. The synthetic drug comes in the form of a powder, then the merchants infiltrate it with the most innocent pharmaceutical herbs, plain tobacco, or even sawdust. Intoxication of the body with synthetic substances contained in smoking mixtures occurs very quickly and can have irreversible consequences. According to official statistics, about 8 million Russians use narcotic smoking mixtures. More than 700 types of spies are known, of which only 44 were banned. After mass poisoning at the end of 2014, a law was passed prohibiting the distribution, storage and use of narcotic smoking mixtures and allowing the relevant services to respond quickly when new types of spies appeared.
What are dangerous smoking mixtures
Doctors say that the spice is much more dangerous than traditional drugs that medicine has been studying for decades. This state of affairs is determined by the following points.
- Spice - a new threat. Treatment regimens have not been developed, the mechanism of action has not been studied enough.
- Until recently, smoking mixtures were perceived by public opinion lightly. There is no such widespread prevention among adolescents and their parents as for long-known drugs.
- Mixing several drugs in the smoking mix can cause different body reactions. For this reason, it is difficult for doctors to predict the course of the disease and correct the therapeutic treatment of spice poisoning.
- Constantly there are new compositions of smoking mixes.
A fatal outcome when using spikes is possible both due to poisoning and under the influence of a hallucinogenic factor. There are cases when a smoker went out the window, confident in his ability to fly.
Symptoms of Spice Poisoning
The intoxication with smoking mixtures is different from the usual drug intoxication. Due to the instability of the composition and combinations of narcotic substances in the mix, an overdose or severe poisoning with spice may occur. Symptoms appear after 1-2 puffs:
- loss of consciousness;
- mental disorder;
With long-term use of spices, signs of dependence and chronic poisoning of the body are noted:
- poor sleep;
- sharp fluctuations in appetite;
- pale skin;
- hair loss;
- dark circles under the eyes.
During the period of action of the drug, symptoms of brain activity are characteristic:
- sudden falling asleep in uncomfortable poses;
- inadequate behavior;
- bad memory;
- speech disorders.
In case of poisoning with smoking mixtures, death is possible. Smokers need urgent medical attention.
What to do when spice poisoning? It should be remembered that self-treatment is not effective and dangerous! The mixture may contain a high dose of a hazardous substance, and the help of doctors is required to neutralize it.
First, you should take measures so that the addict cannot harm himself — go out of the window and the like, or to other people (in case of increased aggressiveness). If you lose consciousness, you must put the victim on its side, make sure that he does not suffocate vomit, there is no sticking of the tongue. Immediately call an ambulance brigade!
With the development of dependence, the person himself is not able to cope with it, so close people should help him. In certain cases, it is possible to get rid of addiction at home under the supervision of an experienced psychiatrist-narcologist.
Spice Poisoning Treatment
If the smoker was poisoned by spice, hospitalization is necessary. Treat patients admitted to the toxicological department. Smokers with experience, those who have already become addicted, continue to take the same mixture after leaving the hospital, not thinking about the sad consequences. With the re-admission of such patients are sent to the narcological department.
In case of poisoning with smoking mixtures, symptomatic treatment is required, and in some cases, the administration of an antidote. As a rule, poisonings are massive. At the initial stage of outbreak development, physicians conduct the necessary toxicological studies of the mixture and find out which chemical substance was the cause. Then, depending on this, a detoxification and therapy scheme is developed. Most of those victims who were taken to hospital for treatment in time survive.
Spice poisoning treatment is carried out in 2 stages.
- Detoxification of the body, duration from 5 to 10 days. It can be carried out in a hospital or at home. Includes drug therapy and depression.
- The rehabilitation period. Dependence on smoking mixes is rather individual, therefore rehabilitation lasts from several weeks to three months. During this period, it is better for a drug addict to be in a rehabilitation center - it is important for him to change the situation and environment.
Damage to the body and long-term effects
When smoking narcotic mixtures, toxic substances pass through the lungs into the blood. As a result of spice poisoning in the body, a series of destructive processes occur.
- The first blow takes on the liver, trying to neutralize toxins and accumulating decomposition products.
- The main harm drugs cause the brain. Its blood circulation is disturbed, the capillaries are narrowed, the access of oxygen is stopped and the nerve cells die.
- Strongly influenced smoking spice on sexual function. Testosterone production decreases, impotence develops in men. Disappears sexual desire. In women, the sexual cycle and menstruation stops.
Spice smoker goes through all stages of dependence: from curiosity and experimentation to addiction, increasing the dose and perception of the drug as the only goal in life. There are conflicts in the family, changing the circle of communication. Drug addicts are disturbed by the perception of reality; murder and suicide are possible. With prolonged use, irreversible disturbances occur. Possible effects of poisoning spice:
- persecution mania;
- loss of interest;
- a sharp change in the psyche due to brain degradation;
- reduced intelligence;
- memory impairment;
- stroke or heart attack at the age of 20-30 years;
- death from overdose.
When smoking narcotic mixtures, severe spice poisoning is possible. Signs of poisoning occur after 1–2 puffs. Vomiting, loss of consciousness, convulsions. In no case can you treat the victim yourself. It is necessary to call the ambulance crew and immediately take the victim to the hospital. Often, a smoker is not able to ask for help on his own, so close and indifferent people are playing a big role.
Spices are drugs, so they are addictive and addictive. To get rid of it, the smoker requires treatment according to the same principles as ordinary drug addicts.