Can I poison myself with cheese

отравление сыром Currently, there is increasing talk about the benefits of cheeses made from unpasteurized milk, forgetting about the high frequency of poisoning with such products. With all the advantages of using untreated products, one should not forget about the significant disadvantage - the presence in them of living microorganisms that perish during pasteurization.

In the production of cheese, potentially toxic substances are not used, and they can only get there by tragic accident, so when we talk about cheese poisoning, we are talking about food poisoning and its manifestations.

The cause of cheese poisoning are various microorganisms that got into the product at one of the stages of collecting raw materials, producing it, or packing it. The cheese itself has nothing to do with, but those who are called "pathogenic microorganisms" in the special literature are to blame. There are four groups of such microorganisms that cause diseases, which we will discuss below.

Salmonellosis

Manifestations of this infection are possible only 6 hours after eating the product contaminated with Salmonella, maximum - after three days. The patient has a variety of complaints from the gastrointestinal tract and general signs of infection:

  • pain in the upper abdomen or in all its departments, nausea, vomiting;
  • Diarrhea from five (with mild form) to ten times a day;
  • fever up to 39 C;
  • weakness.

сальмонеллёз симптомы In severe forms of the disease, there are signs of dehydration:

  • dry skin;
  • dryness of mucous membranes;
  • lethargy;
  • impaired consciousness.

Also, in severe forms of salmonellosis, there are lesions of various organs and systems:

  • jaundice;
  • pain in the joints;
  • rash on the skin of the body, etc.

What to do with salmonellosis

The first thing to do, and this applies to all types of food poisoning, it is necessary to provide the patient with adequate rehydration - restoring the water balance. This means copious drinking, better with saline solutions, such as Regidron. In no case can you take fixing drugs like Imodium - it helps to "fix" the infection in the body!

It is worth trying to find a package of cheese, eaten by the sick, or a piece from which the piece was cut off, and save it. This can be useful for bacteriological examination. And it is necessary to call a doctor.

Co-infection

This type of poisoning is caused by an E. coli:

Escherichia coli O157: H7

коли-инфекция Infection occurs, as in the first case, with the use of "raw" cheese. Deterioration of health usually occurs within the first week.

The main symptoms of poisoning with cheese contaminated with this microbe:

  • weakness;
  • moderate pain in the lower abdomen;
  • diarrhea (diarrhea) from 6 times a day, and in the stool we can see veins of blood.

Many "intestinal" infections, including viral infections, can proceed in this way. And not immediately there is a thought of poisoning with cheese. Symptoms of colitis are very nonspecific, since they lack any characteristic features, and without an additional laboratory examination the diagnosis can not be established.

What to do in case of Co-infection

As in the case of salmonella - it is necessary to provide the patient with an adequate drinking regime - at least 2.5 liters of fluid per day, and always seek medical help.

Brucellosis

This type of poisoning is, fortunately, quite rare.

If the milk was not thermally processed before the ferment, and the animal is sick with brucellosis, then the probability of developing this infection in a person who consumes cheese, is close to 100%. The insidiousness of brucellosis is that signs of poisoning can occur not immediately, but two weeks after infection. When this type of poisoning is painful in the abdomen, for which the patient connects his malaise with food, there may not be, and more often, concern:

  • periodic articular pain;
  • increase in body temperature to 38.2 C;
  • weakness, lethargy, sweating.

The first thought that can arise in the case of a person is flu or other acute respiratory infections. It should be remembered that the signs of any viral infection pass for 3-4 days, but brucellosis without special treatment will not disappear. In such cases it is necessary to consult an infectious disease specialist.

And can it be poisoned with cheese made from pasteurized milk? Yes, and these cases are not uncommon. About this in the next section.

Listeriosis

листериоз структура This infection is dangerous primarily for pregnant women, as it causes irreversible changes in the fetus. Adults and children suffer equally often, but children suffer from listeriosis heavier. The incubation (latent) period ranges from one day to two months, that is, a patient, maybe no longer remember the cheese that was eaten a few weeks ago.

Listeriosis is dangerous for its complications - meningitis and infectious-toxic shock.

Small amounts of this microbe are present on industrial equipment and fall on the surface or in the cheese mass itself. But in the case of violations of the conditions for the preparation or storage of cheese, active reproduction of listeria occurs in the product. That is why, despite the pasteurization, the risk of cheese poisoning still remains.

Signs of the disease with listeriosis:

  • fever - more often this is the first symptom, elevated body temperature can persist up to 7 days;
  • chills, headache;
  • pain in muscles and joints;
  • nausea, vomiting (dehydration occurs rarely);
  • Diarrhea with an admixture of mucus in stool.

Recommendations for listeriosis are similar to those for other toxic infections.

As we see getting poisoned due to the eaten cheese, it is possible, but it is not he who is to blame for this poisoning, but microorganisms that got into it because of poor-quality processing of raw materials, production and packaging of finished products without meeting all sanitary and hygienic requirements.

Therefore, in order to prevent this type of poisoning, you can advise buying cheeses from only the trusted producers, and poisoned with products, do not forget to seek medical help in time!

loading...