Poisoning in cats - symptoms and treatment at home
If your favorite cat, even until recently, playful and affectionate, behaves strangely, this, of course, can not but worry. In such situations it is necessary to think about the reasons for such a condition of it, and they can be both infectious in nature - bacteria, viruses, and invasive - worms. Often, poisoning in cats, so the elementary knowledge of symptoms and treatment, will help the animal, without resorting to the help of a veterinarian or, will help alleviate the suffering before it arrives.
In particularly difficult cases without the help of a veterinarian, it's still impossible to manage! However, the correct actions of the host before the arrival of medical help will help the doctor to provide qualified treatment, and the animal will soon recover. Whatever the circumstances, it is necessary to act quickly, confidently and sensibly.
Signs and symptoms of poisoning in cats
To find out the etiology (cause) of the disease, it is necessary to give answers to the following questions.
- What processes are currently occurring with the cat - physiological (estrus, pregnancy, in kittens changing teeth at the age of 3-6 months) or pathological (caused by a disease agent)?
- Was the vaccination carried out, did it end its term, did the vaccination scheme follow, followed by revaccination? To do this, it is necessary to look into the passport of the animal, where there are clear indications of the dates and diseases against which the vaccination is made.
- Was the de-worming of the cat performed? Treatment against helminths. It is necessary to clearly know the date of its conduct.
- If the cat is domestic, does not go out into the street, did she have any last contact with other animals (dogs, birds)? For a domestic cat such a question is not worth it.
- It is necessary to conduct an analysis of the cat's diet: was there a change in feed, whether it was benign, whether someone was feeding it someone else.
- Was not there a strange attachment to animals for any things or substances, plants?
- Was there any contact with poisonous insects or animals?
- There have been no recent unintentional events: a bottle with alkali, acid, some medicine, household chemicals, other substances broke, the powder was shattered, a thermometer broke down or other similar events.
Answering all these questions, you can try to differentiate infectious, invasive diseases from intoxication and at least figure out what to do if the cat is poisoned.
Signs of poisoning in cats depend on a number of reasons.
- The species is toxic. Poisoning of the body can occur both from harmful toxic substances, and from medical drugs designed to help.
- Quantities of toxic substance. Quoting the Latin proverb "All medicines are poisons, all poisons are medicines. It all depends on the dose "it is not difficult to guess that an incorrect dose of a drug can lead to poisoning of the animal. It must be remembered that the dosage of the medicine is strictly based on the weight of the patient. If a person takes 1 tablet per 60 kg of weight, then the cat does not exceed 6 kg. And this means that only 1/10 tablets are shown to her.
- Ways of getting into the body of a toxic substance. Gastrointestinal route of ingestion - with food and water. Respiratory (inhalation) path - due to inhalation of toxic gases. Percutaneous way - getting through the skin and mucous membranes.
- Duration of exposure to poisoning. According to the duration of exposure, poisoning is divided into hyper-acute, acute and chronic poisoning.
- The state of the animal's body is not an unimportant factor in how the systems and organs react to a particular toxic substance. An animal that has suffered stress - transportation, change of the owner, place of residence, situation, diet, has a lowered immunity. Pregnancy, lactation (feeding kittens with milk) also contribute to the rapid absorption of toxic substances.
Whatever the reason, the symptoms of poisoning in cats will be as follows:
- dilated pupils, or constriction;
- labored breathing;
- agitation or drowsiness;
- change in the color of the mucous membranes (enough, look into the mouth, look at the color of gums).
Than to treat a poisoning in a cat
Than to treat a poisoning at a cat? Whichever toxicity group belongs to the poison, it is necessary to "tie" it and remove it from the body. It is necessary to act quickly, not allowing the poisonous substances to be absorbed into the animal's body. For this, the following drugs can be used.
- Enterosgel is a wonderful preparation against poisons of both mineral and organic origin. Applicable for any physiological condition and at any age of the animal. A dose of 1/2 teaspoon per cat weighing 3-4 kg, 2 times a day.
- Activated carbon - has a pronounced adsorptive (sucking) ability, it is applicable for fodder toxic infections, poisoning with salts of heavy metals. A quarter of the tablet 3 times a day for the average cat.
- A solution of manganese-potassium hydroxide (manganese) is suitable for indeterminate etiology and poisoning with plant poisons. Solution brightly crimson color 4-5 tablespoons pour one-time.
How to treat poisoning in cats and ask a preparation for an animal?
It is not difficult even for children to make these manipulations. However, it is necessary to clearly understand that a sick animal can be not only lethargic, but also aggressive . Consider this, with the understanding and application of the means of fixation, if necessary.
For small animals, the method of administering medicinal preparations with a spoon is applicable. To do this, the animal is held in a standing position, the head is raised. The spoon is pushed aside the cheek in the corner of the mouth and the medicinal preparation is poured into the formed buccal space. You can also pour in the medicine using a syringe or a plastic syringe.
Solid dosage forms (tablets) are sufficient, opening the mouth of the animal, put on the root of the tongue and the swallowing reflex will clearly do its job - the medicine will be swallowed unconditionally by the cat.
The tablet is preferable to grind into powder and fall asleep in the mouth of the animal, this procedure is also simple, and the effect will be more rapid.
Following all these recommendations, treatment of poisoning in cats at home can be quite effective. But we should not forget that poisoning a cat, like any other disease, can be accompanied by a long and severe malaise, so in order to prevent the loss of an animal for advice, you should consult your doctor.