Poisoning with wine
In our country, the demand for alcohol, including wine, is quite high. Statistics show that in 2013, one average Russian has more than 10 liters of alcohol per year. Based on these facts, the risk of non-alcohol poisoning with wine is quite high.
What are the causes of such poisoning? How to recognize it and what to do if it all the same happened? What measures should be taken to prevent such poisoning? The answers to these questions can be found in this article.
In what cases is wine poisoning
Poisoning wine can be for several reasons. Let's consider each case separately.
The natural product is valued by aging time. The more wine is defended, the better and more expensive it is. So, can you poison yourself with overdue wine? Natural - no.
However, on the shelves of supermarkets, mostly soluble drinks predominate, so after the expiration date the chemical composition of the product changes and its use is considered unsafe.
A smaller threat is seen in the wine products of its production: all ingredients are natural, no chemistry and other similar arguments can be heard about this. Is it possible to poison yourself with house wine?
Not everyone knows that the preparation of a drink from cherries, plums, apricots, peaches with bones leads to the formation of cyanides (salts of hydrocyanic acid), which are taken from these very bones. Potassium and sodium salts are especially dangerous. With the use of this wine, a life-threatening condition may develop depending on the severity of the poisoning. Tinctures based on these berries can be cooked only without pits!
If improperly stored, the cause of the formation of toxic substances is a violation of the temperature regime when the beverage is kept in a metal or plastic container.
In the first case, the damage is caused by the formation of compounds with a metal, which are completely unhealthy.
In this case, the reason is the use as the basis of the product or the addition of harmful substances into the wine, for example, toxic alcohols. It is clear that this is done to minimize production costs. In case of illegal manufacture, the above facts serve as the causes of toxic conditions.
Symptoms of wine poisoning
One of the most dangerous is poisoning with house wine, infused with berries with bones. There are several forms of poisoning:
- Lightning fast. The victim almost immediately loses consciousness and after a brief convulsion dies. From the onset of symptoms to the fatal outcome is only 15 minutes.
- Extremely heavy. Events develop with slightly less rapidity, death also comes quickly. Here a phase of short-term excitation with subsequent loss of consciousness is possible.
But this is all a rarity, and with such forms, human salvation is unlikely. With more mild cases of wine poisoning, symptoms appear gradually and it is possible to distinguish the stages of development of intoxication.
The first signs of poisoning
A characteristic sign of such poisoning is the appearance of the taste of bitter almonds. To it the sensation of perspiration in a throat, numbness in a mouth, a smack of metal joins. There are pressing pains in the chest, a feeling of lack of air, although there is no obvious shortness of breath. Possible headache, tinnitus, dizziness.
Disturbance of breathing
Since the poison affects the central nervous system, further clinical manifestations will indicate its defeat. As a result of the toxic effect on the respiratory center, which is vital, the dyspnea intensifies first, then frequent breathing becomes pathological when the periods of deep breaths and breaths are replaced by pauses of the absence of respiratory movements.
Also, the depression of the cardiovascular center is developing, which leads to a decrease in blood pressure and bradycardia. Pain in the chest becomes worse. The stage ends in loss of consciousness.
Then comes the period of seizures. There can be several seizures. They last from half a minute to several. In the intervals between attacks it is noted:
- severe tremor (trembling) of the body;
- breathing is reduced;
- there is no consciousness;
- the pulse is slow, blood pressure is low;
- pupils are dilated, their reactions to light are not visible, eyes become sunken.
Development of paralysis
The victim is in a deep coma. In fact, this is the terminal stage of poisoning. There is a lack of reflexes and involuntary defecation and urination. Then death can come.
With mild forms of poisoning, symptoms are limited to the initial stage and recovery occurs relatively quickly - in about 3 days.
With a moderate form, clinical manifestations of the second stage are observed. Recovery in this case comes in 4-6 days.
When the poisoning is severe, the condition of a person depends on the time of the beginning of the treatment.
Treatment of wine poisoning
When poisoning with wine, treatment is carried out according to the following principles:
- detoxication of the poison with an antidote;
- correction of water-electrolyte balance of blood;
- cramping of seizures;
- control of homeostasis and cardiac parameters;
- prevention of infectious complications.
First aid for poisoning with wine
If there was a poisoning with wine what to do? The recommendations concern people who do not have any medical education.
- Call an ambulance, and then everything else.
- In case of unconsciousness, put the victim on a flat surface, put a roller under the head of the folded clothes and turn it to one side so that the tongue does not fuse.
- Be sure of the presence of breathing and cardiac activity. If they are absent, cardiopulmonary resuscitation should be performed.
- Introduce the antidote.
More often, everything is not so bad. The patient is conscious and is experiencing the "delights" of the first or second stage. The first aid for poisoning by wine will be provided by those who are close by. Put in this case, too, is, but only on the pillows, because a person is short of air. The supine position will protect it from falling if you lose consciousness and develop seizures.
If there is a need for indirect heart massage, then it is carried out with two palms, placing them on top of each other and placing them on the border of the middle and lower third of the sternum. Pressures are rhythmic. It is important: you must press strongly, otherwise instead of an indirect massage of the heart you will get a direct chest massage. The ratio of clicks and breaths (with artificial respiration) is 30: 2. That is, 30 clicks and 2 breaths in a circle.
As for the antidote, when poisoning with cyanides, it is ordinary sugar. It is better to make a concentrated solution and give a drink, so that the action has come as soon as possible. In case of suspicion of a surrogate wine, the antidote is ethanol.
- Insist wine on pitted berries.
- Under no circumstances do not drink, and ruthlessly get rid of the expired drink.
- Buy wine only in proven places.
- Do not store houses in wine in metal and plastic containers.
No one is immune from poisoning. It is important for every person to know the rules for providing first aid, which will save many lives.