Poisoning with water
In our minds, water causes pleasant sensations. Thoughts of a threat or a deadly danger do not come to my mind at once. But everything has a reverse side and the properties so useful to us, in a certain situation can do much harm. After all, water is a universal solvent. It feels good microbes and viruses. This is the ideal environment for their reproduction. Also in the water are chemical reactions, as a result of which from non-toxic substances can form hazardous to health. In water often fall industrial waste and pesticides, and, passing through the layers of the earth, it flushes the radioactive elements.
So let's talk about why water from the source of life and longevity sometimes turns into an inconspicuous killer. How to avoid poisoning with water. How to recognize the cause of poisoning and provide first aid.
Poisoning with excess water - water poisoning, occurs when its excess intake for a unit of time. The human kidneys are capable of passing a maximum of a liter of water per hour. If during this time more water arrives, one of the main mechanisms in our system is violated - the law of equilibrium between the flow of fluid and its excretion. This knocks down the work of all organs. Excess water begins to soak them, and they swell.
The tissues maintain the concentration of microelements necessary for life. Water breaks this concentration. This immediately affects the muscle contractility:
- there are cramps;
- disturbed the work of the heart.
Hardest of all, the brain carries a water load - it swells. The resulting edema is squeezed by the vital centers that control the work of the organs. First there is a confused consciousness, then vomiting. With the growth of edema of the brain, the center of breathing is blocked and death occurs.
Similar situations of water intoxication occur in girls sitting on a "water" diet. With active sports, drinking large amounts of alcohol, in combination with psychostimulants. All this can dramatically increase thirst and bring it closer to a dangerous dose - more than two liters per hour.
As a result, we will get a detailed picture of poisoning. And we will not think about water. Here, after all, in what cunning!
Symptoms of water poisoning
If the amount of water drunk is exceeded, then the edema will come to the fore in the symptoms.
Symptoms of water hyperhydration:
- swelling of the legs, face;
- vomiting, not bringing relief;
- lethargy, confusion, confusion;
- cramps are possible;
- increased blood pressure;
- interruptions in the work of the heart;
- intestinal colic, liquid stool.
If the time does not take action, then the edema of the brain will cause a stop of breathing.
How to avoid water poisoning?
- Do not drink more than a liter of water per hour.
- It is permissible to drink up to two liters of water a day.
Considering that with food we get about one liter of water, there is still one liter.
Thirst is a sure sign of a lack of water in the body. So, he signals about the onset of dehydration. Obeying this feeling and being guided by common sense, usually we drink a safe dose of liquid.
Poisoning contaminated tap water
Is it possible to poison yourself with water? - Yes, if it is dirty. Indeed, such cases are frequent. Symptoms of such poisoning can be easily recognized:
- vomiting that brings relief;
- nausea and pain in the abdomen;
- diarrhea and gums in the intestines;
- temperature increase.
Poisoning with tap water is a clear example of poisoning with dirty water. This type of poisoning has acquired the nature of a pandemic. News rounds are full of massive cases of poisoning. And it's not surprising, because what only gets with water into our kettles, mugs and pots. In addition to deadly pesticides we receive millions of viruses and pathogenic microbes. Most often in the water from the tap live:
- E. coli;
- typhoid fever;
- causative agent of cholera.
They are the cause of severe poisoning. The way out in this situation is boiling tap water.
Can I poison myself with boiled water? Boiling destroys pathogenic microbes, E. coli, cholera vibrio and pathogens of typhoid fever. The probability of acute intestinal poisoning is sharply reduced. This is a big plus. The question of viruses and parasites is being removed.
But boiling does not save from other misfortunes that may be in the water:
- industrial dirt;
- residues of petroleum products.
In these cases, water poisoning does not occur immediately after a cup of coffee, but unnoticed. Day after day, the liver is digested, the kidneys are cemented, the blood vessels are clogged and carcinogens accumulate. Therefore, boiling and purifying water is the defense of the body.
In search of purified water everywhere began to use coolers. But we must remember - so that there is no poisoning by water from the cooler it is necessary to strictly monitor its purity. Disinfection of internal containers, removal of calcareous deposits (scale), mucus, can significantly reduce the possibility of poisoning.
In the cooler, a blue-green alga can form, dangerous bacteria enter it, for example, E. coli or viruses. To safely use the cooler, it is necessary to sanitize it once every six months with special preparations and wash it with bottled water.
Poisoning with mineral water
Let's skip here the description of poisoning caused by counterfeit mineral water - this is a question of law enforcement. But getting a stomach upset is possible from completely legal products.
Many people do not ask about the features of mineral water. What kind of mineral water?
- Medical-dining room.
- Carbonated mineral water.
Medical and therapeutic-table mineral water can not, in any case, be used to quench thirst. Such water contains a large number of salts and biologically active microelements, it is taken in small amounts for the purpose of treatment. The acceptable norm per day is a few tablespoons. What happens if you drink a liter of medicinal water immediately? - a typical intestinal disorder, with all the "delights": colic and abdominal pain, profuse diarrhea, weakness. In an ideal sale of medicinal water should be carried out only by pharmacies.
Thirst can be quenched by dining and mineral water - it is harmless.
If the stomach is sick, then it is necessary to refrain from soda water. Carbon dioxide has an irritating effect on the gastric mucosa and may be the cause of abdominal pain.
Poisoning with water from the pool
We come to the pool for health, but we get poisoned from its water. Together with the popularity of swimming pools, the number of poisonings in them grows. The culprits are the E. coli and the bacterium of the genus Clostridium.
But diarrhea after visiting the pool is not the last thing to attack. Hygiene when swimming in the pool is disturbed everywhere. Not all conscientiously visit the shower before bathing, instructing the child not to urinate in the pool. Then we reap the fruits. It is precisely established that when sweat and urine interact with special additives in the basin, chlorocyan and nitrogen chloride are formed. It is chlorocyan is very toxic - enough for a strong poisoning.
What to do if you are poisoned with water
With any poisoning, the first thing to do is determine its appearance.
- With excessive use of water - water intoxication (overload), the general pastosity (swelling) of the body strikes the eye. Leading symptoms are neurological, associated with edema of the brain. The blood level of sodium is lower. In this case, urgent measures are needed. It is more reasonable to call an ambulance and deliver the victim to the hospital. Where carefully, a solution of sodium chloride is injected under observation. At the same time, the sodium level in the blood is constantly monitored, at a rate of 130 meq / l, the introduction of sodium chloride is stopped. In parallel, diuretics are prescribed: "Lasix", "Sorbitol", "Mannitol". Assign hormonal drugs.
- When poisoning contaminated water symptoms are more like food poisoning, but with more severe symptoms. Any reproduction of bacteria and viruses in the body leads to strong intoxication and an increase in body temperature. In order to determine which pathogen caused the poisoning is necessary to inspect the infectious diseasesist and sowing feces on the flora. The sooner this is done, the better. With diarrhea and indomitable vomiting, the body loses a lot of fluid - procrastination leads to an increase in dehydration and imminent death.
Water is the most consumed product throughout our life, so its quality must be given serious consideration. Water from the tap should be boiled and filtered. Take care of natural sources - their healing properties are often long past. And the mineral water read the recommendations so as not to harm the body.