Poisoning by eggs
Almost no holiday can do without eggs, such an ingredient is part of many dishes. This is so familiar and often used product that no one even thinks about the possibility of getting poisoned by eggs.
Nevertheless, such situations are not uncommon, and the consequences can haunt a person for life.
Is it possible to poison eggs
Everyone is accustomed to thinking that an egg is a useful nutritious protein product that nourishes the body with the necessary substances, vitamins and structural elements for full growth and development. This is often written in books and doctors tell us from childhood.
But none of the health workers warns people about the real danger that threatens anyone who uses eggs. You can get sick if you eat an infected product. Often this happens when improper culinary processing, cooking on polluted tables and using infected dishes.
What is the source of the infection? Any bacterial infection that was in the eggs or got into the dish at the time of preparation. More often, eating this product can cause salmonella.
The bacterium can be inside the egg and on the shell. The source of the disease is a bird that is a carrier of an infectious disease. It is impossible to recognize an infected product, they are no different in appearance, color and smell from a “healthy” product.
Is it possible to poison with boiled eggs? No, if they are cooked correctly (hard-boiled, salmonella dies at high temperatures - more than 40 ° C).
What egg dishes are most dangerous for poisoning:
- homemade mayonnaise;
- whipped with sugar or raw eggs;
- poorly fried scrambled eggs.
On average, the incubation period lasts from 12 to 24 hours. In rare cases, it is shortened to 6 or lengthened by no more than 48 hours. Next, there is a detailed clinical picture, which depends on the degree of manifestation of the disease and on the affected organs.
Is quail eggs poisoning possible?
The bacteria that cause salmonellosis do not contain quail eggs, since at small temperatures more than 40 ° C these small organisms cannot exist, and quails carry eggs precisely at this temperature.
Another question, if the infection occurred during the preparation.
The most frequent symptoms of egg poisoning
- Gastritis (inflammation of the gastric mucosa) may develop. It is manifested by vomiting, nausea, pain in a given area, weakness.
- Acute onset of the disease is characteristic of gastroenteritis (when inflammation of the small intestine also joins the stomach problems). For it is characteristic, in addition to the phenomena described above, severe weakness, repeated vomiting, diarrhea, fever. The chair is a liquid, abundant in dark green or yellow color (sometimes reminiscent of rice water). In humans, the abdomen is painful, swollen, sensitive on examination.
- In the case of colon lesions, signs of colitis appear - inflammation of this section. Children are at risk of developing this form. From the first days the child complains of decreased appetite, the temperature is elevated (sometimes up to 39 - 40 °), weakness worries, the stools are frequent and fluid, maybe with an admixture of blood and mucus. There are pronounced spastic pains in the abdomen.
- Observed lesions of the nervous system: headache, dizziness, fainting, sleep disturbance, lethargy.
- Older people often experience irregularities in the work of the cardiovascular system: the pulse rate changes, blood pressure decreases, and rhythm disturbances appear.
- In severe cases, sepsis develops - a bacterial infection of the whole organism, in which the outcome is often unfavorable.
The manifestation of all of the above symptoms varies widely: from mild discomfort to pronounced lesions. It may depend on the amount of infection in the human body and on immunity.
What to do in case of poisoning by eggs
Conducting therapeutic measures depends on the degree of damage. In any case, the following points are necessarily included in the treatment plan:
- Due to frequent vomiting and diarrhea, the body is dehydrated, which is very dangerous for life, especially in the elderly and children. It is recommended to use special solutions that restore the water-electrolyte balance (Regidron, Oralit and others).
- Diet with restriction of dairy products, raw vegetables, spicy and smoked dishes. Gentle food.
- It is important to use immunostimulating drugs: multivitamin complexes, Methyluracil.
- An antibiotic therapy is underway. The choice of antibacterial drug is individual, depending on the sensitivity of bacteria.
- In case of severe egg poisoning what to do? If the symptoms do not stop within a day, and the condition worsens, hospitalization in the hospital is indicated.
Eggs are useful and tasty product, but sometimes their use causes problems. How to avoid them is to properly prepare dishes with this ingredient. And if you have trouble, you are treated correctly and only with the help of doctors.