Overdose of "Dimedrolum"
The classical representative of antiallergic drugs is "Dimedrol". Many of it is often used as a sedative and hypnotic. All these effects are due to its inhibitory effect on the nervous system. But the uncontrolled intake of this drug is dangerous, it can lead to negative effects on the brain and other vital systems in the human body.
Is an overdose of "diphenhydramine" and what is it expressed in? What is the most dangerous consequence of careless use of this medication? And, most importantly, how to deal with it, if you accidentally took too much of his dose?
What is "Dimedrol"
"Dimedrol" refers to the group of antihistamines of the first generation. It blocks histamine receptors (stimulation of their work increases the tone of the smooth muscles of the intestine, bronchus and bladder) and inhibits the work of the nervous system, has an insignificant antiemetic activity. Can I get sick with diphenhydramine? - Yes, he, like many other medicines, can be dangerous in large quantities.
"Dimedrol" is included in the list of vital medicines and is on the list of drugs for emergency care. In pharmacies, it can be found in the form of tablets 0.03-0.05 grams and solutions for intramuscular injection 1% - 1 ml, in syringe tubes it is released for use in diseases of the mucous membranes. For children, "Dimedrol" is produced in candles, and in case of skin diseases, a cream or ointment is made in the pharmacy. The course of treatment depends on the disease for which it is prescribed. In tablets, on average, the drug is prescribed for 10-15 days, one three times a day.
Overdose of "Dimedrol" - is how many tablets? The highest single dose is not more than 0.1 g, daily - 0.25 g. This is maximum - five tablets per day. The medicine begins to act after a few minutes, and the duration of its work is 12 hours.
When appoint "Diphenhydramine"
At what diseases are prescribed "Diphenhydramine" and what effects are observed from its administration?
- It is widely used as an antiallergic agent. The urticaria, hay fever, hemorrhagic vasculitis and serum sick are amenable to such treatment. For rapid relief of symptoms use injections. In this case, a single dose should be 5 ml. Overdosage of "Dimedrol" in ampoules occurs when more than 15 ml of the substance is administered during the course of the day. The person has symptoms of poisoning.
With diseases, ENT organs are used to reduce inflammation of the tissues: with rhinitis, inflammation of the pharynx.
- Assign with blood transfusion and blood substitution solutions to reduce the body's reaction.
- Often in hospitals it is used in addition to basic treatment to strengthen the effect of other drugs or for a sedative effect (since it inhibits the action of the nervous system).
- Due to the expressed hypnotic function it is used before bedtime.
- "Dimedrol" relaxes the muscles, so it is often prescribed for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. In rare cases, nausea and vomiting are used by pregnant women, but not more than a single dose, so that there is no poisoning with diphenhydramine.
Assign for sea and air sickness.
- Ophthalmology uses drops with iridocyclitis and conjunctivitis. The consequences of an overdose of diphenhydramine in the drops can occur instantly - it is dry and itchy mucous membranes.
- Just like other antihistamines, it is used for radiation sickness.
"Dimedrol" is widely used in almost every field of medicine. But despite this, the drug is prescribed only by prescription for which there are good reasons. It does not only benefit - with an overdose or misuse, "Diphenhydramine" is harmful, can lead to health problems.
Harm of "Dimedrol"
Overdose of "Dimedrol" in tablets and solution threatens major troubles. The clinical picture is determined by the amount of the substance taken.
- "Diphenhydramine" is rapidly absorbed, with accidental contact of the solution with the skin or mucous membranes, possibly numbness of the place of contact.
- From ingestion 1-2 g of the substance may be dizziness, headache, nausea, dry mouth, signs of stunning, muscle weakness, double vision, tremor (trembling) of the hands.
- Overdose will lead to depression of the central nervous system. After taking a large dose (3-5 grams) delirium develops with signs of fear, fear, incoherent speech. In small doses, there will be drowsiness and severe general weakness.
- Dimedrol does not affect blood pressure, but with severe blood loss, it can be drastically reduced.
You can not simultaneously use "Diphenhydramine" with alcoholic beverages. Joint use of them will lead to the appearance of hallucinations. In this case, even a small dose of "Diphenhydramine" may be fatal to a person.
- Carefully prescribe a remedy for diseases of the respiratory system - in addition to the dryness of the mucous membranes, sputum thickening and short-term deterioration of the condition are observed.
- "Diphenhydramine" affects the heart: leads to the development of rapid heart rate and rhythm disturbance, the appearance of extrasystoles - an extraordinary contraction of the heart muscle.
- Symptoms of an overdose of diphenhydramine in skin diseases: a rash in the form of urticaria, pruritus and photosensitivity.
- Long uncontrolled use of "Diphenhydramine" can lead to irreparable blood changes - hemolytic anemia, a decrease in platelet count, agranulocytosis.
- Rarely, there may be a disturbance of the urinary tract and swelling of the extremities.
The right reception, compliance with safety rules and the prescribed dose will not lead to such often irreparable complications.
Symptoms of poisoning
"Diphenhydramine" is often taken for a long time, while in the mind of a person has time to gain a foothold in the analgesic, soothing effect of taking this drug. Because of this, the drug is often taken in large doses, increasing the frequency of admission. In case of an overdose, symptoms of poisoning will be as follows:
xerostomia (dry mouth), thirst;
- dizziness, nausea;
- muscle twitching;
- motor and mental agitation, impaired consciousness, hallucinations;
- convulsions followed by loss of consciousness, coma;
- a sharp drop in blood pressure;
- respiratory depression.
There is no specific antidote for Diphenhydramine. Emergency care consists in washing the stomach. The injured person should be given a salt laxative, activated charcoal of at least 8 tablets at a time.
If a person simultaneously took 5 or more grams of "Diphenhydramine" - there may be a coma duration of 5-6 hours. In this case, it is immediately delivered to the hospital, intubation of the trachea and artificial ventilation of the lungs.
Medical workers know that an overdose of diphenhydramine can lead to death. Therefore, the substance is prescribed only if there are indications for its administration and in small quantities.
"Dimedrol" is very in demand in medical practice, but its side effects are often incomparable with the possible consequences. Therefore, it is better to abandon the independent use of this medication, once again to be reinsured and consult with a doctor.