What kind of pills can be an overdose with a fatal outcome?
Not always one pill can help with elevated temperature or heart rhythm disturbance. In special cases, it is necessary to increase the dose several times to the maximum. But in an attempt to keep up with the desired concentration of a substance, you can greatly harm the body.
The uncontrolled use of potent drugs leads to the development of complications, and in special cases, if the optimal dose is not calculated, the treatment ends in death. What pills for overdose will not be easy to poison, and to more serious consequences and even death? Can I get fatal with any drug?
Rules for taking medicines
With age, you realize that the body is not so strong and resilient, so many systems have to help. The most commonly affected organs are the cardiovascular and digestive systems. That is why our grandparents are forced early in the morning to saturate their bodies not only with food, but also with medicines. The number of tablets taken in special cases is in the tens.
But there is another important problem that happens to every elderly person - the ability to quickly forget. Short-term memory loss can play a cruel joke on a person - he doesn’t remember whether he took the necessary pills in the morning, so pressure drugs or medicines that lower blood sugar can be accidentally consumed several times. Temporary amnesia is often pitiable. What overdose can cause death? There are several groups of drugs classified as highly dangerous. So that their use is not fatal, remember a few treatment rules.
- Even in his youth, it would not hurt to keep a schedule of taking medications, especially if the treatment regimen is complex and involves the use of several drugs.
- The lethal dose of the drug is individual. For one person, two or three tablets of the drug will not play any role, to the other, such a dose will cause more significant damage.
- Death from an overdose of pills can occur with a small amount of medication in the blood, if the work of the heart, kidneys or liver is impaired.
- Some relatively safe drugs cannot be used together - they impair each other’s work and become dangerous.
- Increase the number of tablets or suspensions only after consulting with a specialist. Independently change the amount of therapeutic substance is impossible.
Consider some groups of drugs, from overdose which occur deaths.
The first group is cardiac glycosides. Such funds are prescribed for seriously ill people with a pronounced load on this important organ. Medicines are of natural origin, they are used for severe heart failure. They have a positive effect on the entire cardiovascular system:
- improve blood circulation;
- increase the contraction of the heart muscle;
- lower heart rate;
- have a slight diuretic effect.
All positive effects on the body are observed with an appropriately selected dosage and in the absence of some cardiac rhythm disorders. A deadly overdose of such pills occurs when consuming more than ten doses of one of these substances. Or in the case of development of cardiac muscle rhythm disturbances - with ventricular tachycardia.
Overdose with cardiac glycosides will cause the following symptoms:
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, impaired stool;
- headaches, insomnia, agitation, delusions, hallucinations;
- convulsions appear, breathing is disturbed, blood pressure decreases;
- cardiogram can reveal various changes in the heart rhythm.
Overdose of any pills leads to death? Another important group of chemicals due to misuse can be fatal - these are sleeping pills. Often, their effects on the nervous system are underestimated by the patients themselves. If one pill does not help to fall asleep - the hand itself reaches for extra. And this is repeated many times. Unconscious repeated use of hypnotic not only inhibits the nervous system, but also disrupts the kidneys, respiratory system and heart.
With an overdose of hypnotic drugs, the following symptoms are observed.
- Drowsiness, apathy, stunning occurs.
- Then there is a moderate constriction of the pupils, the omission of the eyelids, excessive saliva, a rare pulse appears.
- After which a superficial coma develops with the depression of reflexes: the cough, pupillary, and the swallowing reflex.
- In a deep coma, the pupils are dilated, breathing is rare, a weak pulse or bradycardia is replaced by a rapid heartbeat.
- The later symptoms of poisoning include the appearance of edema, toxic damage to small vessels, which is manifested by hemorrhages in the skin, mucous membranes and lungs.
- Prolonged coma is often complicated by inflammatory skin lesions, acute renal failure and pulmonary edema.
The most commonly used groups of hypnotic drugs are barbiturates and benzodiazepines. A tenfold increase in therapeutic dose will lead to death.
Drugs affecting the nervous system
What other pills can be overdose? Tranquilizers and neuroleptics are two large groups of drugs often used in psychiatric practice. People taking these medicines require special supervision from those around them.
Lethal doses are individual and depend on the work of the central organs. Drugs are easily and quickly absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, turn into the liver and slowly excreted by the kidneys and intestines.
What are some symptoms of an overdose?
- Muscle weakness, lethargy, drowsiness, stunning right up to a coma.
- Tremor or trembling of the limbs, head, convulsions.
- Changes in the cardiovascular system: cardiac arrhythmia, rapid heartbeat, a sharp decrease in blood pressure.
- Collapse develops, breathing is disturbed with the appearance of pulmonary edema.
Overdose of these pills with a fatal outcome is observed with the simultaneous use of antihistamines in large quantities and alcohol. Such drugs also belong to the group affecting the nervous system, and in combination with alcoholic beverages, the effect on the human body can be unpredictable.
First aid for drug overdose
Indirectly, an overdose of any of the above medicines is indicated by the presence of a currency of pills or capsules next to the affected person.
In the event of the discovery of the victim, who allegedly overdosed with the pills, it is urgent to call the ambulance team. Emergency hospitalization in the intensive care unit is shown.
At the prehospital stage, you can wash the stomach and give a person a few tablets of activated carbon, if he is still conscious.
Which pills are life threatening? This is most often drugs that affect the work of the heart and nervous system. Each of them is appointed by an experienced specialist, and the dose is adjusted at the next doctor's appointment. How to prevent complications? It is necessary to follow the instructions of the health worker who prescribed these pills, because the cost of increasing the dose can be life.