Overdose of coffee
A morning cup of coffee for a successful wake-up is the norm. Practical every person spoils himself with such an invigorating drink to wake up sooner. But only coffee makers know that sometimes it is impossible to stop not only after the first, but also after the third portion of this stimulating drink. Caffeine lovers often abuse this drink, without thinking that at any time an overdose of coffee can occur. This drink brings not only pleasure, but also a strong strain on the body.
What is the norm of caffeine per day for a person, is there any benefit from it? What is dangerous is its excess, what symptoms will be with an overdose and what should I do in this case? Below we will talk about this.
Composition of coffee
The composition of the product includes various elements, which depends on the type of drink. The bulk of coffee in grains is presented in the form of a small amount of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, a complex tannin substance that binds everything into a single mass. In it there is a small amount of trace elements, insoluble fibers and a strong component on the body - caffeine. The latter component varies in different types of coffee from 1 to 2%, and in soluble it, as a rule, more.
Standard set, as in any product, proteins, fats and carbohydrates, we are less interested in, because more often they drink a brewed drink than they chew ground beans. The person reacts more to the substance from the class of psychostimulants or alkaloids. It is presented in the form of caffeine. It influences many systems of organs, leading to unexpected reactions, and in some cases to pronounced symptoms of coffee poisoning.
Benefits of coffee for the body
Why is the bulk of the population so fond of coffee? It is not easy dark invigorating drink, its action in many cases can be compared to a medicine of positive action. It is a powerful psychostimulant that acts not only on the nervous, but also on the muscular system.
How exactly does coffee affect a person?
Increases mental and physical performance.
- It not only strengthens, but also regulates the processes of excitation in the cerebral cortex.
- Reduces fatigue and relieves sleepiness, if not overdosed with caffeine.
- Affects the work of the heart - increases blood pressure and heart rate.
- Increases the secretory activity of the stomach: increases the production of gastric juice and increases appetite.
This is the effect of coffee on most people. But it can vary depending on the type of nervous activity, the situation and the overabundance of caffeine in the body.
There are no clear rules that a person should drink two or three a day, for example, cups of coffee. For each such indicator is individual. However, one should not forget that the toxic dose of pure caffeine for an adult is 1 gram. The amount of such substance in different grades of a black drink varies from 40-50 mg to 150-200 mg per cup (its average volume is 170 ml). But lovers of an invigorating drink are not limited to small portions, so the standard cup capacity in recent years contains more than 300 ml of coffee.
A lethal dose of coffee for a person can be 10 cups or more, since the lethal dose of caffeine is 10 grams. It seems that you can not drink so much. But if a person works on several jobs, at night shifts or more than 8 hours a day - it's difficult to stop on one small cup to feel cheerful and full of energy.
Can I poison my coffee? Yes, an overdose often resembles the symptoms of poisoning. Caffeine, present in coffee is quickly absorbed by the tissues, including the mucous membrane of the rectum. The substance is processed in the liver, and is excreted from the body by the kidneys. Therefore, large doses act negatively not only on the nervous and cardiovascular systems, but also affect other organs.
Symptoms of an overdose of coffee
Symptoms of coffee poisoning can be observed at lower doses if the person was tired or drank several cups on an empty stomach. The use of an excess drink will lead to the development of the following symptoms.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Tachypnea - rapid surface breathing (more than 20 respiratory movements per minute).
- Redness of the face, a sense of fear, headache, anxiety, depression.
- Heart palpitations, violation of the heart rate, increased pressure, pain in the heart.
- Caffeine intoxication is also manifested by increased body temperature.
- In severe cases, poisoning is manifested by intense excitement, delirium, muscle twitching, the appearance of seizures. To all these symptoms, reddening of not only the skin but also the mucous membranes is added.
- There is an uneasy rapidity of heartbeat, there are extraordinary shortening of the heart - extrasystole, ventricular tachycardia.
- Symptoms of an overdose of coffee at later stages - coma and collapse.
- Death occurs after the exhaustion of the body when there is a failure of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
All these unpleasant and sometimes irreversible manifestations are more characteristic for acute poisoning by an invigorating drink. But coffee lovers like to stretch pleasure by drinking a few cups a day. In such cases, the main clinical manifestation of chronic caffeine poisoning is seizures, increased appetite and a violation of the rhythm of the heart against the background of general relative well-being. Frequent use leads to the development of glaucoma and vasoconstriction.
How to remove caffeine from the body
What to do if an overdose of coffee? We must act immediately, before the development of a pronounced picture of poisoning.
- At the first stage, you must wash your stomach.
- It is recommended to give a salt laxative and drink a sorbent. Activated carbon will bind unbuffled coffee residues.
- If a person is unconscious or delirious - it is better not to risk and do not feed him with drugs, immediately deliver to the nearest intensive care unit.
There is no ideal caffeine antidote, in a hospital environment, substances that struggle with the effects of caffeine on the body are more often injected. That is, they carry out symptomatic therapy. Assign morphine, "Pipolphen", neuroleptics. At a collapse connect infuzionnuju therapy - solutions intravenously.
How to withdraw caffeine from the body during chronic intoxication? Nothing special to do is not necessary. Just for a long period, stop using caffeine-containing fluids and take care of your health a little. Correct way of life, balanced nutrition and examination of the body. After a few weeks, well-being will improve.
Coffee is not only a fragrant drink that lifts the mood. It is an explosive mixture of complex chemicals that affect the nervous system in different ways. What effect will affect a person depends on the dose. Drinking another cup - count, will not it be superfluous!