Consequences of an overdose of valerian
Cherished tablets or drops of valerian are in the arsenal of every core or person, often in a state of stress. Their almost magical sedative effect saved many from a nervous breakdown or myocardial infarction. Such medicines are always available: they can be bought without a doctor's prescription and at a low price. Therefore, the impression is mistaken that they cannot harm the body.
Is it possible to overdose valerian and what is it expressed? And most importantly, how to help a person in this case.
How does the valerian act
Few people read the instructions for use of valerian. After all, everyone knows that such a substance has many positive effects on the body.
- First of all, the tool inhibits the work of the nervous system, so that people fall asleep faster and better.
- Due to the sedative effect on the nerve endings, the heart rhythm can be slowed down, its vessels expand.
- The muscles of the digestive and urinary systems relax.
- Valeryan has a choleretic effect, enhances the production of gastric juice.
- With a constant reception of the optimally selected course, it may be a few units to decrease blood pressure.
According to manufacturers, all effects are better manifested with prolonged use of drugs. Self-administration and administration of the drug should be no more than 10 days. Maximum course up to a month. But many lovers take this drug for several months, not taking into account the recommendations of the dosage and the likelihood of poisoning with valerian.
Overdose of valerian tablets
More often valerian is used by people of age and with a long list of diseases of the cardiovascular and nervous systems. They are not always able to control the number of pills eaten and drops drunk. But we must remember that the daily dose of valerian tablets is up to 200 mg of the drug, that is, they can be taken 1-2 pieces 2-3 times a day. Young people remember the miracle cure more in difficult times, which are often associated with critical situations in life, and often no one thinks about the observance of the dosage.
Symptoms that occur with an excess of the drug resemble many states that develop in age, so it is almost impossible to suspect valerian poisoning. Can there be an overdose of valerian? Yes, it happens quite often, it is manifested by the following symptoms:
- discomfort and disruption of the digestive system: nausea, vomiting, indigestion, relaxation of stool;
- on the part of the nervous system, possibly, depression of consciousness, drowsiness or, conversely, agitation, dizziness, trembling of hands, dilated pupils;
- with long-term use of drugs in large doses, lethargy, drowsiness, depression, weakness, decreased performance;
- excess medication does not reduce, but increase blood pressure.
Who periodically has not experienced many of these symptoms? An overdose of valerian tablets can cause accidents, as the response speed during a dangerous situation on the road decreases.
An overdose of valerian in drops
Tincture also often causes impairment of well-being. It is recommended to use no more than 20-30 drops 3-4 times a day. Properly apply the alcohol solution as follows: to the required amount of valerian tincture, add water and drink the product in dissolved form. But, as with any alcohol-containing drug, addiction and, to some extent, dose dependence, develop over time.
Symptoms of an overdose of valerian tincture:
- in addition to all the above, there may be a decrease in heart rhythm - bradycardia;
- sleep disturbance;
- persistent headaches, migraine-like, which are not inhibited by taking other medicines;
- a large number of drops of valerian can lead to heartburn and constant nausea, because the work of the glands of the stomach is constantly stimulated;
- chronic processes in the digestive system may be exacerbated.
An overdose of valerian in drops is sometimes observed already at the first dose, therefore, one should be extremely careful in using them and consult with a health worker beforehand.
Help with poisoning valerian
Excessive use of any substance that has a calming effect on the nervous system can lead to a sharp inhibition of it. The consequences of an overdose of valerian, in this case, can be expressed by the lack of contact with a person due to impaired consciousness. What to do?
- First you need to try to induce vomiting, for which a person is given to drink large amounts of warm water, and then they irritate the root of the tongue to stimulate the gag reflex.
- In parallel, they call the ambulance crew, which, if necessary, washes the stomach. But this will work if assistance is provided no later than 2 hours after taking the drug.
- In severe cases, emergency hospitalization is indicated.
- When the first minor symptoms of poisoning or overdose appear, the substance should be discontinued temporarily or the dose reduced.
Often, the drug is prescribed in complex therapy to enhance the action of other substances. If during the treatment the unpleasant consequences of taking valerian were noticed, you need to think about the possibility of replacing it.
To have an overdose of valerian, how many pills do you need to drink? For someone, the usual daily dose of 3 tablets per day is already destructive, and even 10 tablets will not cause a negative effect to someone. Every body reacts to its dose. Is it possible to die from an overdose of valerian? This possibility cannot be ruled out, but for this you need to consciously drink a huge number of pills or tinctures.
Even such a simple and harmless drug can severely harm health and make you feel worse. How to avoid disastrous consequences? It is important to remember one rule - to begin taking and increase the dose of the substance is necessary only after consulting a doctor.