What to do if the parrot is poisoned
Parrots are subject to the same poisoning as other animals. Moreover, some substances that are not dangerous to humans, can harm our birds. At home, there are many more opportunities than many think, in order to poison the parrot.
What to do in such cases?
Symptoms of parrot poisoning
A bird can get sick for many reasons. Suspicion that your wavy parrot is poisoned should occur in the following cases:
- sudden manifestation of symptoms;
- the manifestation of signs after a change in the brand of feed, or the flight of a parrot in previously uninhabited space, the appearance of new plants in the house - in general, after the introduction of some new potentially dangerous factor;
- parrot treatment with medicines - use extra care against insects with extreme caution.
The symptoms of poisoning themselves can be of a general nature:
- the bird is ruffled;
- feathers are ruffled;
- general weakness;
- refusal of feed.
More specific for poisoning in the parrot symptoms, indicating the defeat of the digestive and nervous systems:
- nausea and vomiting;
- the appearance of a liquid litter of unusual color (yellow, green, black, red);
- violation of coordination - the bird can not fly up to the perch, it collapses sideways;
- convulsions and trembling of the head, wings, circular movements of the head or tipping it backwards;
- paralyzes - a bird in consciousness, but can not move, or is in a semi-paralysis - more often there is a semi-paralysis of the wing or paw;
- coma - full immobility, half-closed eyes, breathing and palpitation slowed.
If suspected of poisoning immediately begin to provide first aid.
The first help to a parrot at a poisoning
Medicines are administered in liquid form from a pipette or syringe without a needle. Give the parrot any of the available adsorbents. Enterosgel has proven itself well. You can also use Polyphepan, Filtrum or activated charcoal, which must be crushed and diluted in water. The dose is one milliliter of liquid per parrot weighing 50 grams.
Other medications are administered an hour after the adsorbent, otherwise there will be no effect from them.
- Laxative: decoction of flaxseed, Glauber's salt.
- When vomiting: Cerucal 1 drop. Before this, make sure that the dangerous substance has completely left the goiter.
- When dehydrated: Ringer's solution of 2 ml every 2-3 hours.
- At signs of a violation of the liver (change litter) give Karsil in a dose of 1 tablet a day. It can be added to the feed for a month, after poisoning the parrot.
What if the poisoning occurred as a result of exposure to gas or a dangerous substance on the skin? In this case, enterosorbents will not help.
Treatment depending on the cause of parrot poisoning
The most common causes of poisoning in parrots are treated depending on the poison, which he poisoned.
In case of acute poisoning, immediately take the bird to the veterinarian. A number of complex measures are required for detoxification, maintenance of liver function and the general vital activity of the poultry organism. If you do not have such an opportunity, the outcome of self-treatment will largely depend on whether the cause of the poisoning is established.
In an apartment condition, a parrot can be poisoned by one of the following substances, depending on which treatment is being taken:
- Alcohol: impaired coordination, vomiting. In severe cases, coma and death. Treatment is common.
- Nicotine because of the stitching of cigarette butts. Cramps, paralysis, coma and death develop. Treatment is common. Provide fresh air to the bird. Add vitamin C at a dose of 50 μg per head.
- Salt. Birds are more sensitive to it than mammals. Poisoning occurs when the content of more than 0.7% of salt in the feed and usually has a chronic nature, but the death of a bird is possible. It is characterized by muscle shaking, impaired coordination and increased thirst. Treatment: abundant water with water.
- Lead is contained in fractions and fishing weights, household paint. Poisoning occurs when spitting. Diarrhea with an admixture of blood, paralysis, convulsions, blindness. Antidote: Calcium EDTA.
- Zinc. Poisoning occurs when the bird gnaws galvanized wire, storing food in galvanized dishes. Symptoms and treatment are the same as for lead poisoning.
- Arsenic is found in pesticides that can get into the feed. Pupillas in the bird expand, there is a thirst, a general weakness, a painful stomach. Antidote: separately dilute magnesium oxide 6 g in 100 ml of water and ferric sulfate 33 g in 100 ml of water. The resulting solutions are mixed immediately before use in a ratio of 1: 1, give every 15 minutes for 1-2 drops.
- Carbamates are part of herbicides and insect repellent. First, a brief excitement develops, then depression. Increased breathing, drooling, narrowing of the pupils, diarrhea, convulsions and paralysis. Antidote: atropine 10 mcg per head from 1 to 3 times per day.
- Mercury-containing preparations are used for seed dressing. All signs of poisoning develop, plus a decrease in body temperature and difficulty breathing. Antidote: Unitiol 0.5% solution of 1 drop every 12 hours for 2 consecutive days.
- Teflon. If the dishes with Teflon coating are strongly heated (above 300 ° C), toxic gases are formed. The parrot contained in the kitchen can die by inhaling such vapors. Death occurs in 30 minutes. Treatment: remove the bird to fresh air.
- Hexachlorophene. Contained in deodorants and laundry soap. When eating soap or breathing in a spray, the parrot can go blind. The visual loss is temporary, the bird is fed and hand fed.
- Houseplants. Azalea, asparagus, hyacinth, diffenbachia, spurge, fern, ivy, rhododendron, philodendron, snowdrop and many others can cause poisoning in parrots. Treatment in these cases is symptomatic.
When poisoning the bird refuses to feed, but a long refusal from it - more than 6 hours, is dangerous for parrots. Therefore, feed the bird is forced. Feed a little liquid jelly, prepared from water and grinded into the dust of cereals (millet, rice, buckwheat), the daily amount for a wavy parrot about 10 ml.
With a general weakness, it is desirable, and when lead poisoning is mandatory, place the parrot in a warm place +30 ° C.
To prevent poisoning, do not allow the parrot to feed suspicious feeds, do not bring unknown plants from the street, do not leave salty foods and alcohol in a place accessible to the bird. Use with caution potent drugs. Observance of such security measures will save your pet from illness and death, and you - from unpleasant experiences.