How to make a gastric lavage at home with poisoning
In life you need to be ready for anything. As for health - information about help in an emergency situation will not be superfluous. If there is a real threat to health and life - you should not hope that the health worker will be near, or the ambulance will arrive instantly. Any of close people, either intentionally or accidentally, may drink a chemical solution or not their own tablets. We need to act immediately.
How to help a person do a gastric lavage in case of poisoning? Do not despair! You just need to keep calm and remember a few simple rules of behavior.
What begins first aid for poisoning
The idea of the possibility of poisoning should arise in respect of each person who is in a comatose state, with the appearance of unreasonable convulsions, if his consciousness is confused.
To begin, try to find out what is drunk or eaten, if the person is conscious and responds adequately to the situation. If there is an assistant - let him urgently call the ambulance brigade (in any case, the person will need to be taken to the intensive care unit).
These first steps should be performed as:
- the type of chemical that the person has poisoned determines the further treatment tactics;
- specialized assistance will be required, and the opportunity to deliver the victim to the hospital is not always the case;
- sometimes in trying to act independently you can lose a lot of time in vain and not save a person’s life;
In such situations, each is driven by a well-founded fear that it is possible for a victim to harm to make it even worse. But there is often no time for deliberation, so you will have to exert maximum efforts for help.
Variants of washing the stomach at home
How to make a gastric lavage at home? First you need to remember all the possible medical lessons that have ever taken place in life: courses of mutual help at school, specialized classes at a school or at an institute. Even a minimum of information can help. To clean the stomach of the house there are two main methods:
- tubeless method;
- gastric lavage with a probe.
Any of these benefits can be implemented at home. To do this, it is enough to have a small amount of liquid (water at room temperature, sodium chloride solution or other specific washing liquid) and a gastric tube (this rubber tube can be found only in a specialized first aid kit of an ambulance brigade, but sometimes by luck or by accident assistants). It is desirable that the procedure was carried out at least two people, so assistance will be provided faster and better.
Bezzondovy method of cleaning the stomach
The tubeless method is used in case of mild poisoning and the person is conscious. Most often it is used in adults and older children. This method is also suitable for helping yourself.
How is such a gastric lavage at home when poisoning, in stages:
- the victim immediately drinks from 500 to 700 ml of liquid or more;
- then the tongue root is irritated with a spatula or ordinary spoon to induce a gag reflex;
- if necessary, such actions are repeated.
Such assistance is especially shown to people who have taken chemicals along with food. This method is recommended for victims of consciousness in case of any poisoning, except:
- acute gasoline poisoning;
- strong acids;
- many oxidizing agents.
Such substances can re-damage the digestive and respiratory systems when passing back!
After carrying out this procedure, it is advisable to wash the stomach additionally also through a probe, since the poisonous substance sometimes remains in the folds of the mucous membrane of the digestive organs and is capable of harm.
Gastric lavage with probe
This procedure will require special skills and additional equipment. In extreme cases, you can use the printed manual or specialist help (by calling a friend’s medical doctor or an ambulance). Washing the stomach through a probe at home is relatively safe, but at the same time a responsible procedure. If it is performed incorrectly, then complications are possible:
- rupture of the stomach, esophagus;
- vomit will get into the respiratory tract and lead to suffocation.
For the procedure, you will need a special gastric tube - a thick rubber tube with a diameter of 1 cm (thin can have a diameter of 4 or 5 mm) and a length of 70 cm. The end of the probe is rounded and has two holes.
If you suspect a poisoning is carried out the following procedure.
- It is better to carry out the washing when the injured person is in a sitting position. For this person sit on a chair, the body as much as possible covered with oilcloth.
- His head is tilted, you need to ask the victim to relax and not wiggle his tongue.
- A probe is gradually introduced through the mouth (from the edge of the teeth to the sternum, namely, to its xiphoid process).
- It is important to make sure that the tube did not hit the trachea (breathing sounds will be heard, cough will appear, lips and face skin will turn blue).
- The probe is inserted until gastric contents from the upper edge of the funnel appear and need to be taken for examination.
- Gradually inject the liquid. How to wash the stomach with poisoning? For adults, use ordinary water at room temperature, but not more than 18 ° C, for younger children it is better to use saline.
- For one washing it is enough to pour 500-700 ml of water (this is the norm for an adult).
- The stomach is washed as a siphon: when pouring water, the funnel is below the level of the stomach, then it is raised.
- After pouring, the funnel is lowered, the washings are drained and the stomach is filled again with water. So, should be done before the appearance of clean water. On this procedure as a whole can take five liters or more.
Then the victim should be immediately transported to the hospital, regardless of how he feels. At the same time, do not forget the jar with gastric contents that you have collected to examine its composition in the laboratory - this often saves a person’s life.
Emergency gastric lavage in case of poisoning is carried out normally by health workers, but when it comes to the life of a loved one, it is not necessary to choose. The procedure itself is simple - the only problem is to decide to carry it out.