Cancer intoxication - a possible cause of death of cancer patients
At advanced stages of oncological diseases, signs of poisoning of the body appear - this is the so-called cancer intoxication.
Let's take a look at this article.
In short, we can say that this is a complex of various symptoms caused by the progression of the oncological process and the treatment of cancer patients. And in more detail you will read below.
Causes of cancer toxicity
Cancers grow very quickly, consuming large amounts of proteins, fats and sugars. At the same time, the body loses nutrients that are so important to it, and its depletion occurs. Against this background, the tumor, rapidly increasing in size, is poorly supplied with blood, since the vascular network does not have time for it to form. Hypoxia develops (lack of oxygen), and the cancerous tissue begins to die. Decomposition products are highly toxic to the body.
Destruction of the tumor occurs on the background of anticancer treatment - chemotherapy. Sometimes the process of decay begins after a day or more after a specific effect. Disintegration of the tumor can also provoke refusal from food intake, which is typical of a patient suffering from oncological diseases. In this case, the tumor loses nutrients, and its cells die. Its decay products penetrate into the bloodstream. Further, they are spread throughout the body. It is poisoning. The combination of metabolic disorders in the body with the ingress of toxic substances into the bloodstream determines the development of such a state as cancer intoxication.
When a tumor disintegrates in the blood, the following electrolyte and metabolic disorders occur:
- increase in blood uric acid content;
- increased potassium in the blood;
- increased phosphate levels in the blood;
- accumulation of lactic acid (lactacidosis);
- reduction of calcium in the blood.
Uric acid, potassium, phosphates enter the blood from destroyed cancer cells. The settling of uric acid crystals in the tubules of the kidneys can result in acute kidney failure. The process exacerbates dehydration and lactic acidosis. An increase in blood phosphate levels is accompanied by a decrease in calcium. Such changes lead to increased nervous excitability and seizures. Calcium phosphate, deposited in the kidneys, also provokes impaired renal function. An excess of potassium is dangerous due to the probability of heart failure (the rhythm is disturbed), and may result in death.
The metabolic products of a decaying tumor damage the membrane structures of the cells (normal) of various organs. Fat oxidation occurs. Hazardous particles are formed - free radicals. Due to this, patients with cancer have a tendency to hemolysis (destruction) of red blood cells, and the level of hemoglobin decreases.
The speed of development of a cancer intoxication clinic is influenced by:
- the severity of the patient;
- the intensity of the process of destruction of the tumor;
- injuries during surgery;
- features of clinical manifestations of cancer;
- blood loss;
- addition of inflammation.
There are other factors that affect the speed of development of cancer intoxication, the symptoms of which are discussed below.
Symptoms of cancer intoxication
Signs of intoxication in cancer are diverse and non-specific.
Signs of asthenia
- severe weakness;
- fast fatiguability;
- mental disorders: apathy, irritability, mental instability, depression, sleep disturbance, and others.
- pale skin;
- ikterichnost skin (yellow);
- cyanosis (cyanotic hue of the skin);
- mucous membranes and skin are dry;
- hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating);
- weight loss, up to cachexia (severe exhaustion).
- lack of appetite;
- disturbed stool (constipation).
There are other signs of intoxication in cancer:
- prolonged fever;
- pains in bones, joints and muscles;
- susceptibility to infections (against a background of reduced immunity);
- arrhythmias (heart rhythm failure);
- tendency to thrombosis.
Treatment of cancer intoxication
The most important thing that a patient suffering from a neglected form of cancer needs is good nutrition. Products must be rich in fiber, vitamins, contain enough protein, carbohydrates and fats. It is necessary to observe drinking mode. Such patients can and should eat their favorite foods, with rare exceptions.
Important and emotional attitude. People who have similar health problems should be surrounded by the care of loved ones.
The volume and intensity of physical activity depends on the condition of the patient.
In cancer intoxication, treatment involves the appointment of symptomatic agents.
- Antiemetic drugs: Metoclopramide, Domperidone. When it is impossible to take the drug inside appointed injections.
- Laxatives: Lactulose, Senna preparations, Forlax, castor oil, Guttalax, liquid paraffin. Bisacodyl can be taken in pills or use candles. You can use candles that contain glycerin.
- Enemas do with the ineffectiveness of laxatives. In addition to the mechanical bowel cleansing, enemas help eliminate toxic substances and reduce toxicity.
- Sorbents (Polysorb, Enterosgel, Polyphepan, activated carbon).
- Iron preparations are prescribed for anemia: Sorbifer Durules, Maltofer, Ferrum Lek. If necessary, prescribe injectable forms of iron or Erythropoietin.
- Painkillers (NSAIDs). Some of them effectively reduce the temperature. These are Paracetamol, Nimesulide, Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, etc.
- Antiarrhythmic drugs are prescribed by a doctor.
- Sedative (sedative) drugs: Diazepam, Aminazin or Haloperidol.
The presence of severe electrolyte disturbances is an indication for hemodialysis.
Treatment of carcinoma in Israel is the use of the latest methods of treating cancerous tumors from epithelial tissues.
Prevention of intoxication in cancer
It is quite difficult to engage in the prevention of cancer intoxication. Blood tests should be monitored regularly: monitor electrolyte levels, liver and kidney function, monitor hemoglobin levels and blood clotting capacity. In time to correct the detected violations. Good nutrition, sufficient fluid intake, timely bowel emptying, and monitoring of cardiac activity also help to slow down the development of cancer intoxication. This is especially true when conducting specific cancer therapy.
Cancer intoxication - the cause of death of cancer patients! Its complications are: kidney failure, developing very quickly, cardiac arrest, thromboembolism, infectious complications, including sepsis. Such patients also die from extreme exhaustion, when all the organs simply cease to function.
Therefore, timely diagnosis of cancer intoxication, and the correction of this condition help to prolong human life.