The bite of an ant
Ants belong to the class of insects. On the planet there are about six thousand species. Bites of ants can cause serious trouble to a person, especially if they are of a massive nature.
What kinds of ants threaten human health, where they are found and how to react in the case of a bite of this insect?
Kinds of ants and their habitats
Fortunately, poisonous ants on the territory of the Russian Federation, and even the countries of the former USSR, are not found. In Russia they live quite innocuous their species. The most common are forest and domestic red ants.
- Forest red ants live exclusively in the bosom of nature, erect anthills and have a complex social organization. The size of the working ant reaches 9 mm in length, the head and abdomen are black, and the chest is colored in a rusty-brown color.
- A home ant settles in buildings and easily adapts to a variety of conditions. These small insects are approximately 3 mm in length, painted brown. Domestic ants rarely attack people, and their bites are almost harmless.
For lovers of traveling to exotic countries it will be useful to get acquainted with some of the most dangerous ants and their habitats.
- Nomadic ants of Siaafu. Area - Africa and South America. The bite of the ant of the Siaafu is not fatal, but often causes serious allergic reactions. Since ants move in large colonies, their attacks usually have multiple character.
- Ant-bullet, or "ant 24 hours." The bite of this insect is accompanied by strong pain during the day. This species lives in South Africa.
- The bulldog's ant. The poison of this species of ants in three cases out of a hundred causes the development of an acute allergic reaction, down to anaphylactic shock. In some countries, the mortality from bulldog ants exceeds the number of deaths from attacks of all other poisonous insects and snakes. They are found in Australia and on the island of Tasmania.
- The red fiery ant lives in South America, in the southern United States, in Australia, Taiwan and New Zealand, the Philippines and China. There are about 280 varieties of the fiery ant (or the South American red ant). The site of the bite is very painful, often allergic reactions occur. Single deaths have been described due to the development of anaphylactic shock.
Let us dwell on the bites of ordinary red ants and the ways of their treatment.
Symptoms of an ant bite
When bitten, the ant injects into the wound its poison, the composition of which is quite complex, but the main irritant is formic acid. In this place, there is a pain comparable to the sensations from a mosquito bite. After a while the wound will swell, a red spot of a small size becomes visible on the skin. Itching and itching to constantly scratch this place.
With an ant bite, symptoms depend on the body's tendency to allergic reactions. At an allergic reaction of a weak and average degree - special treatment is not required. In this case, the wound swells and blushes more than usual, possibly, a local increase in skin temperature in this place and a rash.
Consequences of ant-bite
The consequences of an ant bite are usually minor. Within 3-4 days this place remains reddened and edematous, itching is felt. It can not be combed, as this will intensify the painful reaction and can lead to infection of the wound.
Acute allergic reactions to the bite of a red ant develop very rarely. The danger increases with the bite of the mucous membranes (mouth, nose, when formic acid enters the eyes) or if many ants attacked.
The most common allergic reactions to formic acid are hives and Quincke edema.
Symptoms of urticaria: rashes on the skin of red color by the type of blisters, sometimes they merge.
Signs of edema Quincke: rapid development of local hypodermic edema, more often in the area of the lips, eyes, places of accumulation of fat. Edema in the larynx can be life threatening.
Signs of a general allergic reaction:
- itching throughout the body;
- drop in blood pressure.
In all cases of acute allergic reactions it is necessary to contact a medical institution for qualified help.
Than to treat the bites of ants
When an ant is bitten, the treatment is symptomatic. It is necessary to prevent infection of the wound and soothe the itchy skin.
What to do with an ant bite?
- Wash this place with soapy water.
- Apply the ice for 10-15 minutes.
- Lubricate with antiseptic (better than 70% alcohol or vodka).
With severe itching and redness, you can apply antiseptics from bites of ants (balms or ointments):
- "Golden Star";
- Fenistil gel;
Treatment of ants bites in allergy sufferers is carried out using antihistamines. In mild cases, take 1 tablet of any drug dispensed in pharmacies without a prescription: Tavegil, Suprastin, Fenistil.
In severe cases, a doctor's consultation is necessary. According to his appointment, the drug "Diphenhydramine" is used and a course of treatment with steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs from the group of cortisone.
If earlier you have had severe reactions to insect bites, learn how to use an anti-anaphylactic package. In its complete set are available:
- adrenaline in a syringe (for injection).
Going to the risk zone, add an anti-anaphylactic package to the first-aid kit.
The bites of ants in children are no more dangerous than adults. It is difficult to persuade a child not to comb the damaged area, so use the pharmacy ointments or folk remedies to relieve the itching. If the child still scratches this place, apply a bandage or cover with a breathable bactericidal adhesive plaster.
Treatment of ant bites with folk remedies
Relieve pain and relieve irritation will help advice on the treatment of ants with folk remedies.
- Mix baking soda with water to the state of gruel and attach to a sore spot.
- Wipe with ammonia, diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1.
- Lubricate with mint toothpaste.
- Put the lotion out of milk or milk ice for 10 minutes.
- Crush the activated carbon pellet, drip some water, put the resulting paste on the bite place and cover with a film.
- Apply a lotion with tincture of Echinacea, take a few drops inside to relieve allergic reaction.
- Wipe this place with a cut onion or oil onion juice.
How to treat an ant's bite with improvised means? Will help aloe juice, gruel from the green of parsley or leaves of plantain, a piece of raw potatoes. Applying them, you can remove the edema and redness, reduce itching and pain.
Is the bite of an ant useful?
And is there any benefit from ant bites? The poison of ants, in addition to acid, contains a huge amount of biologically active substances. There are several non-traditional methods of treatment, practicing the bites of ants or soaking them with poison clothes in order to get rid of various diseases. With the help of ants are treated:
- fractures and dislocations;
- gout and arthrosis.
The bites of ants living in Russia do not pose a threat to human health. An exception may be the development of an acute allergic reaction, which occurs extremely rarely. In these cases, you need to contact a specialist for professional help.
In all other cases, it is enough to rinse the bite and lubricate it with an antiseptic or ointment to eliminate inflammation and itching. In nature, you can use folk remedies from ants bites.