How to treat a gadfly bite
Blind are widespread on all continents of the globe. They are absent only in Greenland, Antarctica, Iceland and some oceanic islands. Females of gadfly are an integral part of the nasal - a community of blood-sucking insects, so annoying people and animals.
What is this insect and what is the danger of a gadfly for a person? What should I do if I have bitten a horsefly, do I need to see a doctor and how to treat wounds on the skin?
What kind of insect is horsefly?
Gadfly - a large bloodsucking insect from the order Diptera. More than 4,000 species are known, about 190 species inhabit the territory of the countries of the former USSR. The most numerous gadflies in the taiga zone, forest-steppe and forest. In arid regions they inhabit along the banks of rivers and lakes, in mountainous regions - right up to the zone of eternal snow.
The blood of animals and humans is drunk only by females, the males feed on the nectar of plants. In appearance, they are smaller than females and have contiguous faceted eyes, whereas in females the eyes are separated by a chitinous strip. Females have a proboscis, which is equipped with a cutting apparatus. At the time of the bite of horsefly, the person feels a lot of pain. The insect injects saliva into the wound, containing substances that prevent blood clotting, so the wound bleeds for a long time.
The most widespread on the territory of Russia are gadflies of three genera, in everyday life they are called raindrops, gold-eyed or actually horsefly. The size of the insect can be from 6 to 30 mm, outwardly horsefly looks like a large gray fly with big eyes. The wings may have a gray or marble mesh pattern, to be variegated.
The flight of horseflies begins when the air temperature is not lower than +15 ° C, and in hot weather - above +32 ° C - blind is inactive. Insects come to life before the rain, but when the wind and bad weather do not fly. The exception is made by raindrops, which can attack in case of light rain.
Reproduction of gadfly is closely related to water. Females lay their eggs on the stalks of plants near water bodies. Larvae hatch from eggs, which continue to exist in water or wet soil. Blind larvae are an important component of the soil recovery biocenosis.
Sometimes horseflies are called gadflies. This is wrong, because the gadfly is another insect and they do not drink blood. Adult individuals of gadfly are born with a supply of all necessary substances and do not feed in life. They do not bite animals and humans, but females lay eggs on their hair or inject larvae into the animal’s nostrils. Further, the larvae lead a parasitic way of life up to the transformation into an adult. The most significant in terms of damage are subcutaneous, nasopharyngeal and gastric gadflies, which parasitize on horses, deer, cattle and camels. Cases have been described when the larvae of subcutaneous gadflies developed in humans, but this is rather the exception to the rule.
Unlike the gadflies of the yellow-gray or yellow-brown gadfly, the proboscis and other oral organs are underdeveloped. Some of them look like bumblebees.
What is dangerous gadfly?
Gadfly vinegar is accompanied by severe pain. Insects are very intrusive, they are difficult to drive away from the animal or person. The horseflies are oriented mainly on sight, so you can get away from them.
After the bite of horsefly, a seal forms, the skin around it turns red. Blood can ooze from the wound for a long time without folding. A person feels itchy and burning. In normal cases, the symptoms go away after a few days.
Gadfly bite allergy is a rare occurrence. In sensitive people, local edema, severe redness and itching, rash, deterioration of health, fever may develop. Perhaps an increase in regional lymph nodes. Subsequently, a hard, painful nodule is sometimes formed at the site of the bite, which is characteristic of an infected wound.
Any poisoning of the body after the bite of gadflies or the development of strong allergic reactions (systemic edema, anaphylactic shock) was not observed in practice.
However, you should be aware that when bite a horsefly can serve as a mechanical carrier of diseases transmitted by blood:
- blood is trickling from the wound.
If you stupid bite symptoms are:
The most serious consequence of a gadfly bite may be infection of the injury site and the development of purulent inflammation. To avoid this, it is necessary to use insect repellents, and to treat damaged areas with antiseptics. With proper treatment, the tumor from a gadfly sting passes in 1-2 days.
Gnawing Bite Treatment
How to treat a gadfly bite? To do this, it is necessary to sanitize the wound, remove the edema, reduce pain. They use both pharmacy and folk remedies.
The actions in the treatment of horsefly bites are approximately as follows.
- Press down the bite to reduce the spread of horsefly saliva in the skin.
- A simple technique to relieve an itch from a horsebite bite is to cool the swelling with a piece of ice or another cold object.
- Wash the wound with cool water with ordinary soap, you can with the economic.
- To burn the bite with alcohol, zelenka, iodine, to treat with hydrogen peroxide - any antiseptic will do.
Contact a doctor should be if the person suffered from the bites of a large number of insects, as well as in the case of a strong allergic reaction. In other cases, you can do self-treatment.
How to remove the swelling from the bite of horsefly with pharmaceutical means
- If an allergic reaction is suspected, antihistamines are taken: Suprastin, Tavegil, Claritin.
- Eliminate the itch will help lotion of ammonia, gruel from baking soda, mint toothpaste.
- Than to anoint the bite of gadfly: anti-inflammatory ointments with corticosteroids (hydrocortisone, "Cinaflan", "Advantan").
- Ointments based on herbal ingredients: balsam "Golden Star", "Vitaon".
The pharmacy sells special ointments for insect bites - they can also be used.
If the pharmacy is out of reach, then treatment with folk remedies is used.
Folk remedies for horsefight bites
The juice of many plants has astringent and anti-inflammatory effects. It will stop the blood and reduce the inflammatory response: edema, redness. You can use any of the following herbal remedies:
- dandelion leaf and stem;
- black nightshade;
- aloe juice
Another way to treat swelling from a horsebite bite is to wipe the affected area with a slice of lemon, onion or garlic clove.
In places where there are a lot of horseflies, it is necessary to apply insect repellents. Let's talk about how to protect yourself from the attacks of gadflies.
How to protect against horsefly bites
Means of protection against blood-sucking insects include measures to prevent their entry into the home and scaring the nature.
Consider the daily activity of gadflies. They attack only in the daytime in good weather.
- Use protective clothing made of light fabrics with long sleeves and trouser legs.
- To prevent insects from entering homes, mosquito nets and canopies are released; they can also be used in tents or for children’s sleeping places - a pushchair or a cot.
- Insect repelled special agents - repellents that are applied to the skin or clothing. They can be based on insecticides (permethrin, DETA) or of natural origin. Chemical insect repellent poisons are dangerous to humans. Therefore, strictly follow the instructions for use, not exceeding the dosage, not allowing the drug to enter the mouth or mucous membranes of the nose and eyes. For children, special preparations based on herbal remedies are used (Golden Star balm, eucalyptus or clove essential oils).
- To scare away the blood-sucking insects will help the leaves of plants. They need to grind into mush and smear the juice on the skin. Wormwood, tansy, lemon balm, mint have such an effect.
- To reduce the number of annoying insects in the country can marigolds, tomatoes, lavender, geranium, heliotrope.
Let's summarize. Of course, it is better to prevent the attack of blood-sucking insects, using protective equipment. If, after all, you were bitten by a horsefly, there is no particular reason for excitement. Apply ice to the wound, wash with cold water and soap and lubricate with any disinfectant solution. In order to remove the tumor from the bite of a gadfly there are several means: anti-inflammatory ointments, insect balms on a plant-based basis, lotions from soda or liquid ammonia. If you don’t have one of the above, use a green pharmacy: a leaf of plantain or wormwood, dandelion juice or a piece of onion will help relieve pain and swelling.