How to treat a stalk bite
Holes are widespread on all continents of the globe. They are absent only in Greenland, Antarctica, Iceland and some oceanic islands. Female flies are part of the nemesis - a community of bloodsucking insects, so annoying people and animals.
What is this insect and what is dangerous for a man attacking a horsefly? What should I do if I bite a horsefly, do I need to see a doctor and how to treat sores on the skin?
What an insect is a horsefly
Slepen is a large blood-sucking insect from the order of Diptera. More than 4000 species are known, about 190 species inhabit the territory of the countries of the former USSR. The most numerous are horseflies in the taiga zone, forest-steppe and forests. In arid regions, they live along the banks of rivers and lakes, in the mountains - up to the zone of eternal snows.
The blood of animals and man is consumed only by females, while males feed on the nectar of plants. In appearance, they are smaller than females and have oculating facet eyes, whereas in females the eyes are separated by a chitinous band. Female has a proboscis, which is equipped with a cutting device. At the time of the sting, a person feels severe pain. The insect injects into the wound saliva containing substances that prevent blood coagulation, so the wound bleeds for a long time.
The most widespread on the territory of Russia are the blindfolds of three genera, in everyday life they are called rains, lacewings or proper flies. The size of an insect can be from 6 to 30 mm, outwardly the flies look like a large gray fly with large eyes. Wings can have a gray or marble mesh pattern, be variegated.
The flight of the flies starts at an air temperature of at least + 15 ° C, in hot weather - above +32 ° C - the flies are inactive. The insects are reared before the rain, but when the wind and bad weather do not fly. The exception is rain, which can attack and with low rain.
Reproduction of flies is closely related to water. Female laying eggs on the stems of plants near the reservoirs. From eggs hatch larvae, which continue to exist in water or moist soil. The larvae of the blinds are an important part of the biocenosis of soil restoration.
Sometimes the ducks are called gadflies. This is wrong, because the gadfly is another insect and they do not drink blood. Adult specimens of gadflies are born with a stock of all the necessary substances and do not feed during life. They do not bite animals or humans, but females lay eggs on hair or inject larvae into the nostrils of the animal. Further, the larvae lead a parasitic life up to becoming an adult. The most significant for the harm being done are subcutaneous, nasopharyngeal and gastric gadwods that parasitize on horses, deer, cattle and camels. Cases are described when subcutaneous gadfly larvae developed in humans, but this is more likely an exception to the rule.
In contrast to the hind legs of yellow-gray or yellow-brown color, the proboscis and other oral organs are underdeveloped. Some of them look like bumblebees in appearance.
What is dangerous is the sting bite
Vinegar flies is accompanied by severe pain. Insects are very intrusive, they are difficult to drive away from animals or humans. Orient the flies mainly in sight, so you can run away from them.
After the bite of the horseflies, condensation forms, the skin around turns red. Blood can take a long time out of the wound without folding. A person feels itching and burning. In normal cases, the symptoms go away in a few days.
An allergy to a stalk bite is quite a rare occurrence. Sensitive people can develop local edema, severe reddening and itching, rashes, deterioration of well-being, increased body temperature. Perhaps an increase in regional lymph nodes. Subsequently, at the site of the bite, a hard, painful nodule is sometimes formed, which is characteristic of an infected wound.
Any poisoning of the body after the bite of the flies or the development of severe allergic reactions (systemic edema, anaphylactic shock) was not observed in practice.
However, it should be noted that the bite can serve as a mechanical carrier for diseases transmitted with blood:
- the blood oozes from the wound.
When bite the hind fever, the symptoms are:
The most serious consequence of the bite of the horsefly can be infection of the injury site and the development of purulent inflammation. To prevent this from happening, it is necessary to use insect repellent, and to treat the damaged places with antiseptics. With proper treatment, swelling from the bite of the hind fever takes 1-2 days.
Treatment of a sting bite
How to treat a sting bite? To do this, it is necessary to disinfect the wound, remove the edema, and reduce soreness. They use both pharmacy and folk remedies.
The actions for treating stings bites are approximately the following.
- Press down the bite site to reduce the spreading of the saliva of the horsefly in the skin.
- A simple technique, how to remove the itch from the bite of a horsefly, is to cool the swelling with a piece of ice or another cold object.
- Rinse the wound with cool water with ordinary soap, you can with the economic.
- Burn the place of bite with alcohol, greens, iodine, treat with hydrogen peroxide - any antiseptic will do.
Refer to a doctor if the person has suffered from bites of a large number of insects, as well as in the case of a strong allergic reaction. In other cases, you can do with self-treatment.
How to remove the edema from the bite of the hind fever Pharmacy
- When suspected of an allergic reaction, antihistamines are taken: Suprastin, Tavegil, Claritin.
- Eliminate the itch will help lotion of ammonia, gruel from baking soda, mint toothpaste.
- Than to spread the sting bite: anti-inflammatory ointments with corticosteroids (hydrocortisone, "Sinaflan", "Advantan").
- Ointments based on plant components: balm "Golden Star", "Vital".
The pharmacy sells special ointments from insect bites - they can also be used.
If the pharmacy is out of reach, then folk remedies are used.
Folk remedies for stings bites
The juice of many plants has astringent and anti-inflammatory effect. He will stop the blood and reduce the inflammatory reaction: edema, redness. You can use any of the following herbal remedies:
- leaf and dandelion stem;
- black nightshade;
- juice of aloe.
Another way how to treat edema from a stalk bite: wipe the affected area with a slice of lemon, onion or clove of garlic.
In places where there are many flies, it is necessary to use insect repellent. Let's talk about how to protect ourselves from the attack of the flies.
How to protect yourself from stings bites
Means of protection from bloodsucking insects include measures to prevent their penetration into the home and scaring out in the wild.
Take into account the daily activity of the flies. They attack only during daylight hours in good weather.
- Use protective clothing made of lightweight fabrics with long sleeves and trousers.
- To prevent the penetration of insects into homes produce mosquito nets and canopies, they can be used in tents or for children's sleeping places - a stroller, a cot.
- Scare off insects special remedies - repellents, which are applied to the skin or clothing. They can be based on insecticides (permethrin, DETA) or natural origin. Chemical poisons that repel insects are dangerous for humans. Therefore, strictly follow the instructions for use, not exceeding the dosage, not allowing the drug to enter the mouth or on the mucous membranes of the nose and eyes. For children use special preparations based on herbal remedies (balm "Golden Star", eucalyptus or clove essential oils).
- Scare off the blood-sucking insects will help the leaves of plants. They need to grind into a slurry and spread the juice over the skin. Such an effect has wormwood, tansy, melissa, mint.
- Reduce the number of annoying insects at the cottage can marigold, tomatoes, lavender, geranium, heliotrope.
Briefly summarize. Of course, it is better not to allow attack of bloodsucking insects, using protective equipment. If you still bite the horsefly, there are no special reasons for the excitement. Attach ice to the wound, wash with cold soapy water and grease with any disinfectant solution. In order to remove a swelling from a stalk bite, there are several means: anti-inflammatory ointments, plant-based insect balsams, lotions from soda or ammonia. If you do not have any of the above, try a green pharmacy: a leaf of plantain or wormwood, a dandelion juice or a piece of bulb will help relieve pain and swelling.