Is there any harm from the microwave
The first microwaves were jokingly called bachelor kitchen appliances. Perhaps the first generation of these devices justified this definition. But now microwaves have been replenished with so many different functions that their talents have become truly innumerable.
This device is controlled by a processor, which, according to specified parameters, can offer a recipe itself. And soon, this wonderful culinary assistant will learn to perceive the voice commands of her mistress.
But, contemplating the unhurried rotation of defrosted products or warming up ready-made dishes, one wonders if the microwave oven affects the human body? This question is far from idle.
The physical basis of the microwave
Recall the basic concepts of school physics course. The effect of heating in the microwave is due to the effect of microwave radiation on the products in the oven.
The source of these radiations is the magnetron. The frequency of the microwave 2450 GHz. The electrical component of this radiation has an orienting effect on the dipole molecules of a substance. A dipole is a molecule with oppositely charged charges at its different ends. The electric field manages to turn the dipoles 180 degrees 5.9 billion times a second. This mad speed leads to friction of the molecules and the heating of the substance consisting of them.
Microwave radiation penetrates no deeper than 3 cm, and further heating is carried out due to heat transfer from the outer layers to the inner ones. Pronounced dipoles are water molecules. Therefore, liquids and moisture-containing products heat up faster. Molecules of vegetable oils are not dipoles. Do not try to heat them in the microwave.
Microwave radiation used in a microwave oven has a wavelength of about 12 cm. Being in the frequency scale between radio and infrared waves, they have similar properties.
What harm is a microwave
People gladly believe the rumors and myths. Check the existing rumors about the harm from the microwave.
First of all, let's talk about the risk that carries radiation from a microwave oven. Among nutritionists and physicists, then they flare up, then the arguments on this topic are subsiding.
Let us turn to the possible negative effects. Direct harm is possible in the form of radiation emanating from a working microwave.
A side negative factor may be the deformation and destruction of molecules and the creation of radiolytic compounds, that is, non-existent in nature, under the influence of the very ultra-high frequencies. The impact of the microwave on food does not end there.
Microwave radiation can cause ionization of water molecules (loss or acquisition of an extra electron by an atom). And this is already changing its structure.
The destructiveness of such water for living organisms was tested by an experiment on two identical plants, one of which was poured with ordinary boiled water, the other with water boiled in a microwave. The experiment was stopped on the 9th day, since the second plant died. It was then that this water was dubbed “dead” water, extending this term to products that have undergone cooking with microwave radiation.
What can be opposed to these arguments? Only a scientifically based opinion of physicists who claim that waves of such length do not exert an ionizing effect on living tissues. Consequently, they cannot affect the atomic-molecular structure of a substance, but can only cause its heating ... Moreover, since the efficiency of the magnetron reaches 80%, the culinary processing of products occurs extremely quickly. And cooked dishes lose a minimum of nutrients.
Further, the body itself of the microwave oven reflects the radiation that occurs, not letting it out. The glass part of the door is shielded with a metal grid that does not allow “harmful” waves to the outside. When you open the door, the automatics immediately turn off the magnetron. By the way, its power is very high - a few hundred watts. If when you open the door protection does not work, turning off the magnetron, and you find yourself at the mercy of the radiation from the generator, then a lot of harm and even burns of internal organs are provided to you!
It would seem that the harm from the microwave is leveled by its well-thought-out construction. But confidence in its complete safety will be greatly shaken if we tell you that insidious microwaves have the ability to literally “seep through” tiny slits and holes and are perfectly absorbed by moisture-containing objects, which is the human body. The reason for the appearance of cracks may be not a factory marriage, but a careless mistress who allowed a buildup of soot on the door.
Arguing about what harm from the microwave oven, we should not forget about the cumulative effect of microwave radiation. If even a minor leakage does occur, the harmful effect will accumulate as you use this device. Damage caused may be:
- in dizziness;
- in turbidity in the eyes;
- in the appearance of signs of heart failure;
- in children, causeless crying and nervousness are possible.
How to check the microwave for radiation and leakage
On the vast expanses of the Internet, you can find a description of several ways how to check the microwave for radiation.
- Arm yourself with two mobile phones. One of them put inside the microwave. Close the door. Call from the second mobile phone to the device, "languishing in solitary confinement." If he calls, therefore, the microwave passes the radiation inwards and outwards accordingly.
- Glass with cold water, put in a microwave. Set the power to 800 watts and time 2 minutes. During this time, the water should boil. After the end of the experiment and turn off the device, carefully remove the glass with water. If the water boils under these conditions - everything is in order. If the water remained cold, it means that the radiation did not do its job and burst out.
- The following method is desirable to use in the dark. For a while, turn on the microwave and bring a fluorescent lamp to it. If the light comes on, there is a leak.
- And this method is effective only with a strong leak. Turn off the lights and bring a bunch of keys to the door. The presence of even tiny sparks also indicates the transmission of microwave radiation.
- With the oven running, carefully slide along the edge of the closed door. If it is hot, there is a leak.
However, the effectiveness of all the proposed methods may cause doubt. Check with the help of cellular devices is unreliable because the operating frequencies of mobile phones and microwaves differ.
The most reliable method is to check with a special microwave radiation detector. Put a glass of cold water in the microwave, close the door and turn on the stove.
Approaching the detector close to its front wall, we trace it around the perimeter and diagonal of the door, fixing it at the corners. If there is no radiation, the indicator hand will not leave the green zone of the scale. If it is within the red zone, there is a leak of microwave radiation. The method is effective and absolutely reliable.
Microwave Safe Use Guidelines
Officially, the allowable radiation of microwaves that a microwave can have on a person without harm to his health throughout her “life” two centimeters from the front wall is about 5 milliwatts (mW) of microwave radiation per square centimeter. This figure is much lower than the maximum permissible level. And with the distance from the microwave oven, the wave energy decreases very quickly.
All microwaves have two independent locking systems, which eliminates the accidental opening of the door of the working device.
The question of what is dangerous microwave, it is wiser to consider in terms of - when it is dangerous.
Even if you are convinced of the tightness of your microwave oven, you should not make obvious violations when using it.
- You can not put a microwave near the dining table or stove.
- It is forbidden to place metal utensils in the apparatus. Even metallic paint can cause an arc that damages the magnetron and the microwave's protective skin.
- If possible, use a microwave oven only to heat food and defrost food, and keep from the working plate at a "respectful" distance.
- If a person lives with an implanted pacemaker, it is wiser not to use this household appliance.
If you use the microwave correctly, properly place it in the kitchen, keep it clean, then the microwave does not represent any harm to human health. Use on health!