What to do if the cat was poisoned by rat poison

отравление у котов Adult cats are real hunters. Free-walking animals are not averse to catch a bird, a mouse, and some even cope with adult rats. Unfortunately, there is a danger for fluffy pets here, the cat may be poisoned by drugs used to fight rodents.

How to recognize the signs of intoxication in an animal and what to do if the cat was poisoned by rat poison?

Where the cat can find poison

Most poisons against rodents belong to the group of zoocoumarins. These substances violate blood clotting and cause internal and external bleeding. As a rule, in order for the drug to work, repeated administration is required. Here the danger for the cat is small. The pet may be poisoned by regularly eating bait or poisoned rodents.

But there are other groups of poisons, more potent. The same zoo coumarins of the last generation:

  • Zinc phosphide;
  • Brometalin;
  • Sodium fluoroacetate.

All these substances are extremely dangerous for animals, and poisoning of the cat with rat poison can occur in the case of eating the bait, and the poisoned rodent. It is clear that the bait for mice that make the grain, will not interest your pet, but poisons for rats are often mixed with meat products.

Symptoms of poisoning with rat poison in cats

отравление котов крысиным ядом If the cat has been poisoned with rat poison based on zoocoumarins, the symptoms are as follows:

  1. Bleeding from the nose, the appearance of blood in the feces and urine, hemorrhages on the gums. These symptoms develop within 1 to 10 days after the poison enters the body.
  2. Vomiting may be, but not necessarily. Occurs after eating the bait or rodent.
  3. The cat may die in a few days without obvious signs as a result of internal bleeding.
  4. If similar poisons are used in your area, then dead rodents will have non-coagulated blood flowing from the mouth or anus.

кот и крысиный яд In the case of eating baits containing preparations of other groups, in case of poisoning by rat poison in cats, the symptoms will be different:

  • excitement, nervousness, increased motor activity;
  • lack of coordination: the legs are woven, the animal falls to the side, cannot stand up, shakes his head;
  • muscle tremor, convulsions, involuntary twitching of the limbs;
  • fever.
  • lethargy, drowsiness.

Treating a cat for poisoning with rat poison

If the cat has signs of poisoning with rat poison, then you should not self-medicate, call or deliver the animal to the vet! As a rule, symptoms mean that the poison has already been completely absorbed into the bloodstream and affects the body for quite a long time. Will require qualified veterinary care:

  • antidote administration;
  • symptomatic and supportive therapy;
  • intravenous drip medication.

First aid

кот и лекарства But before the arrival of the doctor, you can provide first aid to the cat.

  1. Vomiting makes sense if the animal has eaten suspicious food in front of you. Otherwise, the poison has already sucked into the blood, and the procedure instead of help can harm - lead to dehydration. In order for the cat to vomit, it is given a diluted in water (in a 1: 1 ratio) 3% hydrogen peroxide solution at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 2 kg of body weight. Or use a saturated solution of salt. Forcing about 2-3 tablespoons per adult animal by force from a spoon or syringe without a needle. You can also put a small piece of baking soda on the root of the tongue.
  2. To bind poison in the stomach, they give a suspension of activated carbon or any adsorbent from the first-aid kit: Polysorb MP, Enterosgel, Polyphepan and the like. The adsorbent is diluted in warm water and poured into the mouth in an amount of about 100 ml.
  3. To prevent the poison from being absorbed from the intestine into the blood, mucous solutions are enveloped: egg white, diluted with water; milk, starch paste, flax seed decoction. The adsorbent and coating agent is given after vomiting has stopped.
  4. лечение кота After three hours after watering the coating, a laxative is given: 2% solution of magnesium or sodium sulfate in the amount of 5–10 ml, petroleum jelly or castor oil.
  5. The intestine can be cleaned with an enema: 20-30 milliliters of saline or boiled water is injected into the anus. Enema should be at room temperature.

If the symptoms of cat poisoning with rat poison indicate the action of anticoagulants (drugs that violate blood coagulation), then vitamin K (Vikasol) is administered intramuscularly in a dose of 1–2 ml. The treatment is carried out for a long time - from several weeks to two months.

Another common rodent control is zinc phosphide. It is dangerous only if the cat eats bait. If your pet eats a rodent poisoned by such a poison, then there is no threat to life. Symptoms develop within an hour after the poison enters the body: repeated vomiting, sometimes dark brown; sharp pain in the stomach, the smell of rotten fish from the mouth, difficulty breathing, cramps. In case of zinc phosphide poisoning, as a first aid, the stomach is washed with a 0.5% solution of copper sulfate (copper sulfate), a 2% solution of baking soda, and aluminum and magnesium preparations (Maalox) are given.

Convalescent cat care

In all cases, the animal requires qualified veterinary care. Even if the poisoning is not strong at first glance, the consequences can manifest themselves for a long time. In addition to pills and injections, the animal will need proper care.

уход за котом The first day after poisoning the cat give only water. Then the animal is transferred to the diet:

  • low fat boiled meat;
  • a fish;
  • liver;
  • some boiled carrots, zucchini, cauliflower;
  • in small quantities give rice and oatmeal.

When poisoning with Brometalin, the cat may have no appetite for a long time. Do not feed the animal by force! In this case, you will need the help of a veterinarian. Perhaps some time the cat will have to hold on droppers.

Be attentive to your pets. Do not dismiss minor manifestations of indisposition. Sometimes the life of an animal depends on the speed of your actions. If you show signs of poisoning, immediately induce vomiting and seek veterinary care.